Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drminn
The route is MSP-MUC on 9/15, return on 9/26. AA.com shows AY10 and AY 807 and a number of connecting flights from MSP to ORD, on the return it shows AY 804 and AY 9 as available in J. I haven't called AA yet, wanted to know whether there is a trick to booking online first.
As an alternative, there appear to be 2 J seats on PHL-MAN on the A330 on 9/14 and 9/16. You'll have to use BA to get to MUC, which will incur fees, but shouldn't be more than $100 per person. I think you could do something like MSY-CLT-PHL-MAN-LHR-MUC.

On the return, there are 2 J seats on IB MAD-SJU on 9/25 an 9/26. IB has surcharges but they are much less than BA. You could do MUC-MAD-SJU-MIA-MSY.

You can probably put the outbound on hold on AA.com using a multi-city search and call in and have it repriced, but no way to book IB online at AA.com
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Boom! I scored 4 sAAvers today, fly into LHR and out of ZRH in June! First agent said "yeah, right" but a HUCA returned a nice family vacation to Europe for 240,000 miles.
Question: my domestic legs have a connection. I was thinking I could call over the coming months to try to swap to non-stop domestic. Does that mean the agent needs to cancel and re-book the international segments? I'm a little paranoid about losing the sAAvers.

(when booking, the system crashed a few times and she had to go all the way back to beginning - and I was positive the sAAver seats were going to vanish)
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:39 am
Formerly known as jlars77

You should be able to change w/o issue as long as O/D remains the same...and AA actually opens up sAAver space for 4 on preferred direct flights!

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Question: my domestic legs have a connection. I was thinking I could call over the coming months to try to swap to non-stop domestic. Does that mean the agent needs to cancel and re-book the international segments? I'm a little paranoid about losing the sAAvers.

(when booking, the system crashed a few times and she had to go all the way back to beginning - and I was positive the sAAver seats were going to vanish)
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm planning a trip to Japan with a friend of mine, he's trying to use his AA miles on CX and JL but the AA agents keep insisting there's no award inventory even though it appears on ba.com. NRT-LAX on JL F and HKG-DXB on CX J—both show awards on ba.com but multiple AA agents say it doesn't exist. The CX award also appears on the JL site, so that one isn't a BA problem.

Weekend maintenance, phantom inventory on BA or is AA blocking awards?

I may try going through the Australian call center, since that's been working with EY.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah I think the "phantom inventory"-- which -does- exist in some contexts, might be being used too often or too interchangeably in cases where there clearly is something else going on-- to that it's ever all that clear!

Can't say for sure at this point, travelingbetter supposed to be getting back on it's feet this weekend, maybe, and till that happens, don't have access to my best AAnswerers.
Looks spiffy !
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
Looks spiffy !
HA!! You wanna know the truth? You saw it before I did! I almost posted "what looks spiffy?"

Obviously still stuff left to do-- no way to log in that I can see, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'm planning a trip to Japan with a friend of mine, he's trying to use his AA miles on CX and JL but the AA agents keep insisting there's no award inventory even though it appears on ba.com. NRT-LAX on JL F and HKG-DXB on CX J—both show awards on ba.com but multiple AA agents say it doesn't exist. The CX award also appears on the JL site, so that one isn't a BA problem.

I may try going through the Australian call center, since that's been working with EY.
Well, that was odd. I called to try placing a hold on a CX J segment and when they tried to verify my address, they didn't match. The AA number was correct and the address I gave matched the address on my profile.

Maybe they are just having IT trouble today.

edit: Found an agent that could see the NRT-LAX inventory on JL but he's saying a one-way in F NRT-LAX-SAT comes to 112k miles! What on earth is going on at AA today?

Last edited by txflyer77; Dec 6, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:10 pm

At the risk of seeming ignorant, what is "phantom inventory?"
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:16 pm

I just signed up on Expert Flyer for a trip from TPA to FCO next October I checked available first and business seats for 10/24/2016, and the only business seats according to EF were through ORD. AA, OTOH, had 4 pages of such seat, mostly through MIA and LHR, but a few were through CLT-LHR-FCO. Who am I to believe - EF or AA?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mooreva
At the risk of seeming ignorant, what is "phantom inventory?"
It is award inventory that appears available when you search (on BA, AA, etc.) but is not actually available. AA has been having issues on its website with phantom inventory lately, e.g. Finnair flights will appear to have avilable award seats when in fact they do not.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:19 pm

Well, that was odd. I called to try placing a hold on a CX J segment and when they tried to verify my address, they didn't match. The AA number was correct and the address I gave matched the address on my profile.

Maybe they are just having IT trouble today.

edit: Found an agent that could see the NRT-LAX inventory on JL but he's saying a one-way in F NRT-LAX-SAT comes to 112k miles! What on earth is going on at AA today?
As usual, HUACA works. Just scored 2 SAT-DFW-NRT in C, NRT-LAX-SAT in F, HND-HKG in F, HKG-DXB in C and AUH-DFW-SAT in F for my friend and his wife. Eventually found an agent who could see the inventory (plus the AUS office for EY).

So nothing too unusual about it, just a string of lousy agents.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It is award inventory that appears available when you search (on BA, AA, etc.) but is not actually available. AA has been having issues on its website with phantom inventory lately, e.g. Finnair flights will appear to have avilable award seats when in fact they do not.
I, erroneously, booked 2 seats on the 10/24/2106, which AA confirmed as "Hold." I cancelled the Hold because I actually want the 31st. But if I had left the Hold on for the specified period, what could I expect that AA would have done? Advise that it was not available or let me confirm the booking?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mooreva
I, erroneously, booked 2 seats on the 10/24/2106, which AA confirmed as "Hold." I cancelled the Hold because I actually want the 31st. But if I had left the Hold on for the specified period, what could I expect that AA would have done? Advise that it was not available or let me confirm the booking?
If you had left the hold, the hold would have expired and automatically cancelled without you having to doing anything. If there had been phantom availability, you wouldn't have been able to hold anything in the first place.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you had left the hold, the hold would have expired and automatically cancelled without you having to doing anything. If there had been phantom availability, you wouldn't have been able to hold anything in the first place.
Thank you. I guess it was a real availability. Now I will hope that the same availability comes up for a week later. But why are there no seats shown on Expert Flyer for the TPA-MIA-LHR-FCO route? I did just book one seat for the 31st on that date? AA does show some availability, just not on the particular flight that I want. (I need two seats) It makes me wonder about the use of Expert Flyer.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:00 pm

So I booked this award.

BKK.. HKG... NRT... ORD

On JAL and cx first.

I need to get from ord to San. There was no reward seats available. There are now.

The AA agent said they need to redeposit the moles and book again. Is this true? The tax went up 5 which is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.