Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:36 pm

I've checked OGG/ same LAX connect. I'm totally open to flying thru ORD. IF I could get it!!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:01 pm

Another ?? If I book a coach award, can I upgrade to a first without charge?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lyndihop53
Another ?? If I book a coach award, can I upgrade to a first without charge?
Yes, just the difference in miles.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by quartney
Thanks to everyone who responded, especially gemac and beerup!!! You told me about options that I didn't know about.

I checked daily, and used your advice to book a flight with the ideal return date and a too-early departure date. Then, I found a departure with an overnight in DFW and changed the tickets. First class to Hawaii, yay!!!
and as a bonus, you get an intl business class lie flat seat thanks to the fact that the 757 doesn't have the range for HNL-DFW!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:02 am

Here's what I saw this am. 2 milesaver HNL/DFW great flights on 2-6, but when I plug in HNL/XNA 2-6 isn't loaded yet.

If I put both of these on a "hold" will AA combine if I call?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:30 pm

Does AA ever add more award seat availability?

I'm trying to plan a trip for the first part of June and AA has no saver awards left. Do they ever make more frequent flyer seats available or am I out of luck? Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes, but there's no way to predict. Good luck.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sunshinecat
I'm trying to plan a trip for the first part of June and AA has no saver awards left. Do they ever make more frequent flyer seats available or am I out of luck?
Ever? Yes.

Such factors as the route, the load, the day and time and the desired award will affect your chances.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:36 pm

Award Flights to Rome

I plan on making a 20,000 mile award reservation from SFO to FCO ...I see
that all award flights to and from FCO starting February 1st are 60,000 miles
each way.

Actually, I will be traveling at the end of April...do you think that
20,000 award flights will be made available.

Many thanks...I always get my questions answered on Flyertalk...it is
much appreciated.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Flyer100
I plan on making a 20,000 mile award reservation from SFO to FCO ...I see
that all award flights to and from FCO starting February 1st are 60,000 miles
each way.

Actually, I will be traveling at the end of April...do you think that

Many thanks...I always get my questions answered on Flyertalk...it is
much appreciated.
FYI
20,000 is one-way, off-peak MileSAAver:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp

Off-peak dates:
Hawaii: Jan. 12 - Mar. 8; Aug. 22 - Dec. 15
The Caribbean and Mexico: Sep. 7 - Nov. 14
Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela: Jan. 16 - Jun. 14; Sep. 7 - Nov. 14
Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay: Mar. 1 - May 31; Aug. 16 - Nov. 30
Europe: Oct. 15 - May 15
Japan: Oct. 1 - Apr. 30

Availability may or may not change. I recommend a subscription to ExpertFlyer, where you can set up an alert for when award seats are released.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Flyer100
do you think that
Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure anyone here can accurately predict if additional MileSaaver availability will open.

Last edited by videomaker; Mar 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Back in January, I tried to get an biz class saaver award ticket for Mrs.Grates for SFO-FCO-SFO. There was zero availability in March for dates I needed, even though there were lots of available seats. I called EXP to ask for the alleged extra availability and failed totally after several calls.
So I ended up buying a ticket for $800 and using eVIPs to upgrade.

No "U" award inventory on EF whenever showed up whenever I checked between Jan and mid-March. In fact, as I posted in another thread, the return flight left with 4 empty biz class seats, even though econ was oversold and we were offered $300 each to go another day.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:59 am

Has it become more difficult...

Lifetime Gold here. Last month, I booked DFW to SeaTac for roundtrip flights in late July/early August. It took 50k each (total 100k miles) to book the two of us (me and wife) in Coach Class. I thought 50k each would get us First or Business; I expected 25k each for Coach. With that said, has it become harder to use miles this year? Are fewer Advantage seats available these days -- or was it just the flight to/from Seattle at that time of year? How about European destinations like Rome? Is it harder now to book Business Class using miles for the normal 100k per person, even if calling one year in advance?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Pasquali
Lifetime Gold here. Last month, I booked DFW to SeaTac for roundtrip flights in late July/early August. It took 50k each (total 100k miles) to book the two of us (me and wife) in Coach Class. I thought 50k each would get us First or Business; I expected 25k each for Coach. With that said, has it become harder to use miles this year? Are fewer Advantage seats available these days -- or was it just the flight to/from Seattle at that time of year? How about European destinations like Rome? Is it harder now to book Business Class using miles for the normal 100k per person, even if calling one year in advance?
Probably just supply and demand on a busy summer route. Are you traveling on cruise days by any chance? Also did you ask about a partner award using AS, including routing via California?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Pasquali
It seems to be getting harder to use miles. I'm trying to go LAX-NRT in F on a mileage saver. EF shows the flights I want wide open up front both directions but AA wants 250k as a anytime award. They will happily put me thru ORD or DFW for mileagesaver but it seems silly if not downright stupid to fly east to go west!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.