Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, I hear the pain - but AA is into Revenue / Yield Management, and I guess they are trying to maximize revenue so they can survive (without having the cushy bankruptcy benefits some other airlines have enjoyed to fall back on). Bottom line, they prefer making money or charing AAnytime miles levels to folks wanting to fly award seats on days they believe they can enhance revenue - not surprising.

As much as I wish it were different, it's business.

N.B. This has been added to the current thread discussing this issue.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JDiver
OK, I hear the pain - but AA is into Revenue / Yield Management, and I guess they are trying to maximize revenue so they can survive (without having the cushy bankruptcy benefits some other airlines have enjoyed to fall back on).
That's true.

OTOH, DL may have gone to the far extreme in limiting redemptions at reasonable rates. Any time a program's miles get dubbed Zimbabwe miles or Skypesos, that's an indication there is a problem.

And don't forget that selling miles is a huge and important revenue generator for the airlines. So for those of us toiling to earn the miles, there has to be a carrot at the end of the stick.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
That's not my impression, though there seem to be a few DL apologists who are in denial.

There were some recent news articles which also found challenges with trying to book a DL award at decent redemption rates.
When I said there was no change, I meant that it was already terrible so there was no change as it continues to be terrible. I am not saying that it is easy or even not difficult to book a DL award seat.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by hindukid
I am looking to book 6 one way awards between ORD and Texas. UA has nonstop availability on all 6 of those days. AA has nonstop availability on none of those days and connecting availability on only one of those days. I used to think that AA had the best domestic award availability but lately it has seemed that UA is far ahead.

Oct. 7 ORD-IAH
Oct 11 IAH-ORD
Nov 24 ORD-DFW
Nov. 29 DFW-ORD
Dec. 22 ORD-DFW
Jan. 2 IAH-ORD

Lately? I thought you had decided three years ago that UA offered superior award availability.

From March 2007:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newre...ply&p=14104817

I was just doing a quick search from ORD-SEA. Apparently there is not one seat available in all of july for coach class. How difficult can it be to get a seat four months in advance with an entire month's flexibility. Also this is seattle, not hawaii or europe. I use to praise AA for its awards, but I find this appaling.
I am not a frequent traveller and award availability is the most important thing to me. I had always made an extra effort to fly AA because I thought they were much better, now I am wondering if UA should be my preferred carrier.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
DFW-LHR oddity.

I was searching for business and first miles sAAver awards today from DFW to LHR and the only days it shows available is Tues and Weds in Jan, Feb, March, and the 1st half of april. But the odd thing is that every single Tues/Wed is available but no other day is.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by envgeo
DFW-LHR oddity.

I was searching for business and first miles sAAver awards today from DFW to LHR and the only days it shows available is Tues and Weds in Jan, Feb, March, and the 1st half of april. But the odd thing is that every single Tues/Wed is available but no other day is.
Not odd at all. Tue and Wed are some of the slowest travel days, so those are the seats that are most likely to go out empty and thus carry no "opportunity cost" to AA when they make them available.

This is the pattern I alluded to in an earlier post. AA block out all days within major school holidays and make mid-week available otherwise. Really difficult to put together a good schedule on milesaaver these days, especially to Europe.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 am

JFK-MXP August Award Availability

I currently have 40,000 miles in my account and looking to use a combination of cash/miles for 17th Aug to 22nd Aug for JFK-MXP. I realize that it is peak-season and would be happy to pay for one coach leg in miles, other leg in cash, or both legs in cash then upgrade one leg (with the co-pay too).

When I view available seats for the flights, there are about 70% free seats in coach and 95% free in business (in both directions). Despite this, the AAdvantage desk tells me that for those flights:

1. There are no MileSaver awards in the entire month of August
2. There are no one-way upgrade awards available either

I find this quite frustrating, unless I am missing something? It's as if they only tagged two seats in each flight for upgrades. Anyone?

Regards,
Lewis
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
Smile Brasil - NYC-SSA-REC-NYC

Looking to travel to Brasil Nov/Dec with my wife (Both Plat, lots of miles), but can't seem to find two free Business class tickets any day without using double miles. There is $ 2416. plus 106.70 tax Business class fare (I), but I can't seem to be able to book it with stops in both SSA and REC. In the past I've booked B fares and upgraded, and flown into GRU and paid for a connection up to REC. ANy suggestions on how I can book LGA-MIA-SSA(Stopover)-REC(Stopover)-MIA-LGA? I Can book LGA-MIA-SSA on the way down, and REC-MIA-LGA on the way back. Other alternatives would be OK. Looking at buying one ticket and using miles for the other. I wouldn't mind using GOL for the connection, either. Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:22 pm

That perception may well be accurate - you are talking about high season, and AA wants / hopes to $ell those $eat$. If there were MileSAAver seats initially, I do suspect they went months ago. Will they release any more? IF they do not move seats, as flight dates approach they might.

BTW, on what basis do you state "there are about 70% free seats in coach and 95% free in business (in both directions)"? If it's seat charts, they only reflect unassigned seats, not tickets sold. Groups, for example, may not have individual seats reserved, merely tickets.

Moderator hat ON
N.B. This new question about a continuing topic of concern has been merged into the master thread.
Moderator hat OFF
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:32 pm

You're right - I was purely looking at the seat maps. Prior to today, I was under the impression that if a passenger didn't specify a seat, a random 'floating' seat was held...

Lewis
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:34 pm

You can not book awards with stopovers like that, other than at your North American gateway - you would have to book an open jaw and "close" the jaw with yet another award or purchasing a fare on an LLC, etc.

Originally Posted by AA FAQ
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers
Also it may be Nov/Dec is higher demand season, and MileSAAver seats available (really half-priced seats as opposed to AAnytime awards, which are full, not double, miles awards) are long gone (assuming there were any to begin with).

N.B. Given this is about a much discussed current topic, this new question has been merged into the master thread. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm Reason: add AA FAQ
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:43 pm

As a random sampling, AA 198 Thu Aug 19 shows J7 D0 R7 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 W7 M7 L5 V0 S0 N0 O0 G0 Q0 - no discounted fares V, S, N, O, G and Q are available at all, no I, or even D, and some of the others may be the same seats (and the system will not show more than 7 seats in each fare bucket).

This is going to call for some serious flexibility - and luck!

Originally Posted by lewisdrummond
You're right - I was purely looking at the seat maps. Prior to today, I was under the impression that if a passenger didn't specify a seat, a random 'floating' seat was held...

Lewis
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lewisdrummond
I currently have 40,000 miles in my account and looking to use a combination of cash/miles for 17th Aug to 22nd Aug for JFK-MXP. I realize that it is peak-season and would be happy to pay for one coach leg in miles, other leg in cash...
Theoretically yes, you could do this, by booking a one-way award in one direction (if it were available) and buying a one-way ticket with $$ in the other.

However, buying that one-way ticket with $$ will likely be in the $1500-$2500 range, which makes little sense since in this case since you can easily just buy the roundtrip for that.

With regards to the upgrade, it's very typical for there to be no upgrade availability ~2 months out on a TATL flight, even with a seemingly wide open cabin up front. If you have to go Aug. 17-22, your best bet is just to buy the roundtrip and get on the waitlist for the upgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
Originally Posted by JDiver
You can not book awards with stopovers like that, other than at your North American gateway - you would have to book an open jaw and "close" the jaw with yet another award or purchasing a fare on an LLC, etc.

Also it may be Nov/Dec is higher demand season, and MileSAAver seats available (really half-priced seats as opposed to AAnytime awards, which are full, not double, miles awards) are long gone (assuming there were any to begin with).

N.B. Given this is about a much discussed current topic, this new question has been merged into the master thread. /Moderator

Thank you for the reply, as well as the right thread. To book five months out, or wait for the routing to Brasilia to start......
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
lewis drummond....

if awards become available, you could buy mi's to cover the round trip....

otherwise, as stated above, a 1 way is more than twice the rt cost....

you could wait and see if the fare goes down, but, at 2 months out, i would buy quickly....i think the rt is ~ $1100 which isn't bad for the season....good luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.