Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:06 pm

Using miles for BOS to CPT

Hi Flyertalk Community,

I am asking for some help. I have a lot of miles I have been saving and want to use for a honeymoon trip from Boston to South Africa, flying in to Cape Town.

I see on AA.com that for 75k miles I can get a one way business class ticket from BOS to London to CPT on British Airways.

I am thinking, however, that it would be more fun to on Qatar , and that Qatar flies direct from BOS to DOH, and from DOH to CPT.

My question is, can I take these flights on Qatar Air for the same amount of miles? I can not even get the One World Airlines route map to acknowledge this route, does that mean it is not possible?

Thank you for your help or other suggestions!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Assuming that QR publishes a BOS-CPT through-fare, then yes, you can redeem 75K AA miles for a one-way in Business on that route. But aa.com cannot display QR award-seat availability, so you'll have to call AA or use some third-party site to check availability.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Using BA will incur high "YQ" surcharges, so though you will find award space on BA more easily, you will also pay dearly.

We will merge this query into the appropriate "Help Desk" thread. Please read the wiki post at the top of the page for further information and useful links to resources.

/Moderator
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Samgo18
I am thinking, however, that it would be more fun to on Qatar , and that Qatar flies direct from BOS to DOH, and from DOH to CPT.

My question is, can I take these flights on Qatar Air for the same amount of miles? I can not even get the One World Airlines route map to acknowledge this route, does that mean it is not possible?
You should be able to use QR for 75K miles; however, you'll have to go through JFK or PHL, as I don't believe QR has a nonstop to DOH from BOS.

EDIT: Sorry, it looks QR is starting BOS-DOH next year.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:55 pm
Suspended

corrected above
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@JonNYC and other experts on the routing, is the following routings bookable as one award?

1) DXB-DOH-BKK-HKG on QR DXB-DOH-BKK and CX BKK-HKG?

2) SCL-AKL-SYD on LA and QF?

TIA for opinions.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
@JonNYC and other experts on the routing, is the following routings bookable as one award?

1) DXB-DOH-BKK-HKG on QR DXB-DOH-BKK and CX BKK-HKG?

2) SCL-AKL-SYD on LA and QF?

TIA for opinions.
#2 is definitely bookable as one award. For #1, I have been able to book DOH-BKK-HKG on the same award, but apparently QR's routing rules technically only allow DOH-HKG. I didn't end up using the ticket so no idea if it would have been cancelled at some point. So YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
#2 is definitely bookable as one award. For #1, I have been able to book DOH-BKK-HKG on the same award, but apparently QR's routing rules technically only allow DOH-HKG. I didn't end up using the ticket so no idea if it would have been cancelled at some point. So YMMV.
Thanks.

Yeah I suspect DOH-BKK-HKG might not work because QR has direct DOH-HKG flight.

When you said you had DOH-BKK-HKG, was it a held reservation or an already ticketed one?

On another note, BA site keeps giving error message on the 380 F availability. Not sure it is due to Phantom or what. Wonder if QF site would show QR availability or not.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I have been trying to get on 1183 from DFW to SFO on the 28th for days now on a F saver mileage award. It is F6 / A6 on expertflyer and as the 28th approaches I would assume they would shake loose one mileage award seat. There was a big sweep a week ago for that day and many seats opened up on other flights (I grabbed a later one).

Has anyone had experience with milesaver first awards opening up very close to check in time? I am thinking I will hold off on checking in for my other flights on the 28th to make it easier for the agent to reticket if this opens up, but it seems unlikely.

Any words of wisdom or advice?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks.

Yeah I suspect DOH-BKK-HKG might not work because QR has direct DOH-HKG flight.

When you said you had DOH-BKK-HKG, was it a held reservation or an already ticketed one?

On another note, BA site keeps giving error message on the 380 F availability. Not sure it is due to Phantom or what. Wonder if QF site would show QR availability or not.
It was ticketed, but I cancelled soon after it ticketed.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by goldengate
I have been trying to get on 1183 from DFW to SFO on the 28th for days now on a F saver mileage award. It is F6 / A6 on expertflyer and as the 28th approaches I would assume they would shake loose one mileage award seat. There was a big sweep a week ago for that day and many seats opened up on other flights (I grabbed a later one).

Has anyone had experience with milesaver first awards opening up very close to check in time? I am thinking I will hold off on checking in for my other flights on the 28th to make it easier for the agent to reticket if this opens up, but it seems unlikely.

Any words of wisdom or advice?
In my experience, flights do open up close to departure, but I don't have much experience with DFW-SFO in particular.

On day of departure, you can try to standby or check with an AC agent about the possibility of a SDFC--although Z space technically needs to be available, those angels can sometimes work miracles.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton Gold
F Class upgrade

On an international flight, if i want to book F class but my initial leg on CK ORD-HKG only has availability in business, how do I upgrade that leg when F class is opened up?

Will it even let me book F if initial leg is Business?

If I can do this, will I be charged the new rate if after march as flight will be in October 2016?

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Doctari
On an international flight, if i want to book F class but my initial leg on CK ORD-HKG only has availability in business, how do I upgrade that leg when F class is opened up?

Will it even let me book F if initial leg is Business?

If I can do this, will I be charged the new rate if after march as flight will be in October 2016?

Thanks
If you are talking about an Award reservation, CK is not a partner.

Generally speaking, you can redeem an F award with a "voluntary downgrade" to business on the leg(s) where J is available and F is not. You would be charged the full F rate, and not get any "discount" for doing this.

If and when F becomes available, you would call to be moved to F. This does not happen automatically and it would be up to you to monitor availability and call.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I am assuming he means CX, because CK is a cargo carrier
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jridge

Generally speaking, you can redeem an F award with a "voluntary downgrade" to business on the leg(s) where J is available and F is not. You would be charged the full F rate, and not get any "discount" for doing this.
Have you tried?? I would be surprised if they CAN charge you F award where no F available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.