Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I have yet to see AA Gold and AA Plat say, "wow we love stickers!" yet EXP folks say they're amazing, yet don't use them for their own upgrades.
I am plat and I love them. My travel patterns, even as 1K on UA, resulted in low upgrade percentages. On AA as a plat, I am at about 80ish percent. I rarely will not request one for something like AUS-DFW, but usually, I am in a hurry and want to sit up front so I just figure $30, what the heck.

I completely understand the frustration if you are flying long legs and getting upgraded 90%. Yes, now you have to pay, which isn't great for you. Nothing in my experience minimizes that.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I think pmUS platinums may not realize that upgrades clear more easily mid-tier AA than other carriers _because_ of the cost component of the e500 electronic sticker upgrade instrument. People tend to husband their upgrades since they have value.

It's not as awful for pmUS platinums as some think.

Really? Then why are so many Exec Platinum upset about 120 segment requirement that may result in them dropping down to Platinum? 😱

They've clearly stated within this thread that they upset about losing complimentary upgrades. Obviously they don't think the sticker plan is so great when it applies to them. "If I have to fly in the back of the plane then I might as well fly any airline with the cheapest fare."

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2014 at 8:56 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
Having an upgrade list that is displayed at the gate is what really creates a sense of unfulfilled anticipation, not automatic upgrades. Automatic upgrades are to me happy surprises. If I don' t get an upgrade I know it' s because someone bought those seats or there are those with more status than I who got them. Having empty F seats like I see at American just makes me angry.
Angry because American is missing an almost free opportunity to gain additional goodwill and loyalty by someone who could have been upgraded but wasn't.
It just doesn't work that way. It's definitely not gonna' change and it most definitely shouldn't.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Let me rephrase. I really enjoy hearing all the EXP member saying how great stickers are for upgrading, when they in reality do not use them for upgrading themselves.

I have yet to see AA Gold and AA Plat say, "wow we love stickers!" yet EXP folks say they're amazing, yet don't use them for their own upgrades.

And coming from a US Plat who routinely gets 90% of his flights upgraded for free, yeah, stickers suck.

I'd really love to see/hear the reaction if all of a sudden EXP had to use stickers as well. I'm fairly confident y'all wouldnt like that either.
EXPs did used to have to use stickers. I liked the system back then. I'd even be willing to go back to it. I fly mostly longhaul routes, some in paid coach, some in paid YUP fares, some overseas in paid business.

I like to upgrade from business to First with SWUs. I used to use my stickers for the longhauls in coach, and I would buy stickers maybe a few times per year. No more than $1000 per year did I ever spend on stickers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Let me rephrase. I really enjoy hearing all the EXP member saying how great stickers are for upgrading, when they in reality do not use them for upgrading themselves.

And coming from a US Plat who routinely gets 90% of his flights upgraded for free, yeah, stickers suck.

I'd really love to see/hear the reaction if all of a sudden EXP had to use stickers as well. I'm fairly confident y'all wouldnt like that either.
The majority of AA GLDs and PLTs have confirmed many times on this board that they like stickers. EXPs had to use stickers before. I would not be put out at all if we had to use them again.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Who says they aren't gaining additional goodwill and loyalty from paid F customers or EXPs sitting alone? The argument can go both ways
That was one of the weakest arguments I have heard so far on why stickerless automatic upgrades are bad.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
That was one of the weakest arguments I have heard so far on why stickerless automatic upgrades are bad.
It's a small portion to the real reason UDUs are bad. They dilute the F product.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
It's a small portion to the real reason UDUs are bad. They dilute the F product.
If it dilutes the F product then let's do away with any type of upgrade. If you want F then you buy F.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I'm a lifetime Gold, and the two main things I care about are keeping my lifetime status and keeping stickers. That way, as I and others have said many times, I actually have a chance to upgrade. So, yes, I'm only Gold, I love stickers, and I'm happy.

And I'm glad AA makes money from stickers, too -- for the obvious reason.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:33 pm

Uh the F product is already diluted. It's a bigger seat. You can't dilute that any further. It's not like any domestic carrier is serving actual good food, and no matter the airline, there are still way too many surly flight attendants.

This isn't CX F.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JUST THE FACTS: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP Oct 2014 – details & facts only

Bottom line - stickers mean a higher likelihood of an upgrade clearing. If you refuse to buy stickers with cash, you'll probably end up flying in F about the same number of times as you would on DL/UA (of course that ignores the fare basis prioritization issue). If you are willing to pay $, you'll probably end up flying in first class *more* often than on DL/UA, but spending less $$ than if you just paid for F.

Frankly, though if you're typically flying on high fare classes (but not YB) booked closer to departure, you may be better off on DL/UA, for several reasons.

Net, I think stickers are a *good* thing, but YMMV. It's certainly not an awful thing.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Segments
They've clearly stated within this thread that they upset about losing complimentary upgrades. Obviously they don't think the sticker plan is so great when it applies to them. "
Believe me when I say (for myself, I don't speak for all EXPs but I bet I'm not alone) that the complimentary upgrades domestically are not the key driver in my desire to requalify. For me it's all about the SWUs and access to international F lounges. If I had to trade one of these off against the need to burn stickers domestically (not that I hope it ever comes to that) I'd vote for stickers in a heartbeat.

But yeah, losing UDUs would suck for EXPs, would be a significant devaluation and would IMO cause some to reevaluate. And as a Plat I'd take stickers with a decent chance of making some useful UGs against perennially being #67 on the UG list on a 738 (you think I'm kidding? Pick a random Terminal 3 gate in SFO at 6:30 on a Monday morning)

Last edited by scnzzz; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:50 am Reason: Fixing quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
So, it has been said that you earn 4 upgrade stickers for 10,000 miles. For the 10,000 miles, is it just BIS miles? Do the EQM's you earn via the credit card count? Do any other earned miles count?
I don't really get this sticker thing either. Does everyone earn them or only elites? Mrs. dwcatty only flew 16k miles last year and will not renew her Silver status so goes back to kettle class March 1. Will she still earn upgrade stickers? I have only 9346 miles for 2014 and also will not renew, but with less than 10k miles wouldn't earn them anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If it dilutes the F product then let's do away with any type of upgrade. If you want F then you buy F.
I agree, but that isn't exactly on the table here is it? I would also be for stickers returning for EXP as well but that also doesn't seem as though it's being considered.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Uh the F product is already diluted. It's a bigger seat. You can't dilute that any further. It's not like any domestic carrier is serving actual good food, and no matter the airline, there are still way too many surly flight attendants.

This isn't CX F.
Certainly not anymore, but I agree it's already quite diluted. There's no reason to dilute it any farther.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dwcatty
I don't really get this sticker thing either. Does everyone earn them or only elites? Mrs. dwcatty only flew 16k miles last year and will not renew her Silver status so goes back to kettle class March 1. Will she still earn upgrade stickers? I have only 9346 miles for 2014 and also will not renew, but with less than 10k miles wouldn't earn them anyway.
Only Gold and Plat members earn stickers. 4 for every 10.000 miles flown.

If you start with no status, you won't start earning stickers till you reach gold/25.000 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.