Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by aau
I'm a few hundred dollars short of the $20,000 milestone on AAviator Silver. If I reach the milestone on the last possible day, Feb. 28th, presumably the 5000 bonus Loyalty Points will post in March. Will they count toward 2022-23 re-qualification, or 2023-24?
The different bonuses may work a little different, but here's what the website shows me for the 60k mile signup bonus: "The bonus miles will be reflected on the billing statement after you have qualified to earn the bonus. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account."

If the bonus you're looking for works the same, the bonus would be reflected on the next billing statement after 2/28, and then posted 4-6 weeks after that. So you're likely looking at the bonus not posting until April. That would count for 2023-24 qualification.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
First purchase on Aviator Red posted on Feb 13. First statement was cut Feb 19...but without charging the annual fee. Also no bonus miles (as expected), as part 2 of the SUB was paying annual fee. Doesn't the AF using hit on first statement?
The AF hit on my first statement.

As a side note, it would be an interesting twist if signing up through the "no AF the first year" link caused issues with earning the SUB immediately, because there would be no way to fulfill both requirements:
1. Make a purchase within 90 days of opening the account.
2. Pay off the purchase and AF.

If they don't charge the AF until the second year, people technically couldn't earn the SUB until then.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
The different bonuses may work a little different, but here's what the website shows me for the 60k mile signup bonus: "The bonus miles will be reflected on the billing statement after you have qualified to earn the bonus. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account."

If the bonus you're looking for works the same, the bonus would be reflected on the next billing statement after 2/28, and then posted 4-6 weeks after that. So you're likely looking at the bonus not posting until April. That would count for 2023-24 qualification.
I don't believe that the LP bonus is tied to the billing statement: "Loyalty Points earned as a result of this benefit will be posted to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage Account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement." On the online dashboard, your spend tracker actually gets updated on a daily basis rather than a monthly basis.

I'm in the position opposite of OP. Going to time this up to eclipse a spending milestone on February 26 (so that the spend posts by February 28), with the hope that the 5,000 LPs will subsequently post and get credited toward the 2023-24 status qualification period (rather than the current period). While there is little doubt that the LPs won't be posted until March or April, the open question is whether they will be backdated and credited toward the current qualification period. I plan to report back on that.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
I don't believe that the LP bonus is tied to the billing statement: "Loyalty Points earned as a result of this benefit will be posted to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage Account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement." On the online dashboard, your spend tracker actually gets updated on a daily basis rather than a monthly basis.

I'm in the position opposite of OP. Going to time this up to eclipse a spending milestone on February 26 (so that the spend posts by February 28), with the hope that the 5,000 LPs will subsequently post and get credited toward the 2023-24 status qualification period (rather than the current period). While there is little doubt that the LPs won't be posted until March or April, the open question is whether they will be backdated and credited toward the current qualification period. I plan to report back on that.
The LP bonus I earned in mid-December posted within days of the transaction that caused it, the transaction occurred on December 14th, they posted to my Aviator account on December 16th and the LP posted with a transaction date of December 16th within days.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Mine went pending when I applied, although someone called me pretty quickly after and asked just a few basic question about my business. I was approved but at max credit they were going to extend to me so I just has to pull some from my personal card. You can always call them and ask if they need anymore information: 866-408-4064 or 866-710-2688 8AM-8PM ET
Thanks for this great info !! I called today and spoke to a very nice CSA that explained that my application had not been declined, it had been in fact approved but that the KYC department had vetoed the approval because they wanted/needed some additional information/clarification. I got transferred and turns out all they wanted to do was for me to verify my home address. They asked me a few questions and said that the application was now good to go and that I would be receiving my plastic in the mail.

So I guess I am a happy camper.. despite the fact that I cant seem to understand the very (very) stingy credit limit I got assigned, but the agent told me that once I get the card and use it, I should call the credit department and have them take a look at the account - she said that they would surely give it a good bump. I will wait and see how this goes and report back.

Thanks to all for the GREAT information on this thread.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, HawaiianMiles
Just redeemed a Companion Certificate. How long does it take the reservation to go from ticket pending to ticketed?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by johnr863
Just redeemed a Companion Certificate. How long does it take the reservation to go from ticket pending to ticketed?
I called on a Friday a few weeks ago and it ticketed on Saturday.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I noticed that my ticker for progress towards LP bonus was not present today, Just want to check before I spend some money but I am assuming anything I buy today will be counted towards 2023/24 LPs and for accrual towards the new program years bonus thresholds?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ellinj
I noticed that my ticker for progress towards LP bonus was not present today, Just want to check before I spend some money but I am assuming anything I buy today will be counted towards 2023/24 LPs and for accrual towards the new program years bonus thresholds?
Yes, anything from today onward should count for 2023-2024 LPs. I've been waiting until today to make a few large purchases myself. My progress bar is missing as well, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:16 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I was just approved for the Red card. Any recent data points on how quickly I might see the offer/be invited to upgrade to Silver? I’m hoping to get the 15,000 bonus points by the end of next February so they count for 2024 status. Is that even possible? Any tricks to speed up the upgrade offer/invite?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by ymx;[url=tel:35053733
35053733[/url]]I was just approved for the Red card. Any recent data points on how quickly I might see the offer/be invited to upgrade to Silver? I’m hoping to get the 15,000 bonus points by the end of next February so they count for 2024 status. Is that even possible? Any tricks to speed up the upgrade offer/invite?
More recent Silver converters can share their experiences, but from Barclays’ perspective, they would likely want to offer to heavy users. I made it my primary card when I got it a few years ago. Even easier to do now that it earns you LPs. I got my offer to convert to Silver after three months. Look into Plastiq if you want the LP bonuses but may not have the spend to hit them all. Decide if the fees at Plastiq are worth it to you.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes, anything from today onward should count for 2023-2024 LPs. I've been waiting until today to make a few large purchases myself. My progress bar is missing as well, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

-FlyerBeek
As of today, the Barclay Silver rewards tracking page is no longer tracking bonus loyalty points😬
Whoops, I see that this was also posted several times above. I did see that it is still listed as a benefit on the AA site for credit cards, and it has been updated for the current earning year🙂

Last edited by 236Dakota; Mar 2, 2023 at 6:19 am
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ymx
I was just approved for the Red card. Any recent data points on how quickly I might see the offer/be invited to upgrade to Silver? I’m hoping to get the 15,000 bonus points by the end of next February so they count for 2024 status. Is that even possible? Any tricks to speed up the upgrade offer/invite?
I got the Red card in December 2021 and upgraded to the Silver in January 2023. I'm not sure when I was initially offered the upgrade. I just happened to look and it was available. I just passed $40k spend last week and I did receive the two 5000 LP spend bonuses. The second 5000 LP bonus posted on Feb 27.

FYI, it takes a full statement period for the Silver card to be activated. I was accepted for the upgrade in January but the card (and its benefits) were not available until the beginning of my next statement period in February.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by UncleLeo
Plot foiled. Hit the milestone on February 28 as planned, and while the 5K LPs posted today, they were backdated to February 28 and thus not counted to the new status qualification period. At least this will help my 12 month rolling average. (Speaking of which, does AA provide a tool to check your rolling average, short of keeping track manually?)
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:19 am

I hit my Companion Pass target on my Silver, For some reason I thought the companion pass would be issued shortly. However from the email I received it appears as though it only gets issued once my anniversary happens?
My anniversary is in September, so I should expected my Companion Pass sometime in early November, is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.