Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals and US Club changes, closures, consolidations etc. (Master Thread)

Please edit/add to this Wikipost with any done, confirmed, announced or pending Admirals Club changes
(not wishful, speculative or possible changes).

Lounge links

Link
to Admirals Clubs and affiliated lounges locations and amenities guide on aa.com.

Link to oneworld lounge locations and access tool on oneworld.com.

Link to FlyerTalk AA Lounge Dashboard

Note: American Airlines and US Airways terminal changes can be found here.

LOCATIONS, CLOSURES, CONSOLIDATIONS Etc.

All US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs.

Admirals Clubs are following US Airways Club tradition of serving soup.

AA- US "exchange" programs have been implemented at some Clubs so both AA and US Club users can be assisted by redeployed "AAngels" with computers (e.g. DFW Clubs now have US assistance counters and personnel).

ATL: Concourse T Admirals Club only staffed by AA personnel, no computer system installed to allow assisting US pax. (11/22/2014)

BUF: 2015, changed to November, BUF / Buffalo a Club to close.

DCA: US Airways Club in t-B rebadged as Admirals Club. Member dtremit says "To be clear, the small US club in the "B/C" pier (formerly a UA club) was closed and consolidated into the adjacent AC. The large US club on the "C" pier is still open."

DFW: Admirals Clubs now have "out stationed" US personnel for assistance.

GRU: Admirals Club closed for renovations beginning December 1, 2014 as construction of a new club in Terminal 3 begins. New AC is expected to open in 2015. AC Members may use the GRU Executive Club in T3 until the new AC opens.

LAX: US Airways Club closed. AS lounge in T6 (near US gates) now available for AC members, transcon premium cabin ticket holders on AA or US, and under oneworld access rules when flying US or AA.

PHL US Airways B/C Club rebadged, has AA Personnel available, at least weekday mornings until 10am (not sure about after this time frame). In A-East, Admirals Club opened, has US Personnel available.

RDU: US Airways Club closed.

SJU: The Admirals Club® lounge at San Juan Luis Muñoz Marin International (SJU) permanently closed 30 Dec 2015.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Why no Admirals club for MCO

Does anyone in the 'know', know if there will be an Admirals Club in MCO once the airlines get combined? They are in the process of combining and moving the ticketing area in MCO to mid-concourse, which should be done first quarter, but haven't heard anything about a possible club opening.

US Airways had one years ago, but it was closed down after the Hurricane damage to the MCO terminal back in 2004. As far as I know, that space is still unoccupied.

I wrote US Airways a while back, and got a canned answer they were in the process of evaluating options, but nothing specific. US/AA combined will be the only one of the three majors without a club presence in MCO.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Does anyone in the 'know', know if there will be an Admirals Club in MCO once the airlines get combined? They are in the process of combining and moving the ticketing area in MCO to mid-concourse, which should be done first quarter, but haven't heard anything about a possible club opening.

US Airways had one years ago, but it was closed down after the Hurricane damage to the MCO terminal back in 2004. As far as I know, that space is still unoccupied.

I wrote US Airways a while back, and got a canned answer they were in the process of evaluating options, but nothing specific. US/AA combined will be the only one of the three majors without a club presence in MCO.

Thanks!
My impression is that there is mostly leisure travel to Orlando and not enough business people to warrant a club.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
My impression is that there is mostly leisure travel to Orlando and not enough business people to warrant a club.
I tend to agree that MCO will never see an AC. I sometimes wonder why FLL does not have an AC (aside from space issues).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
There is a lot of leisure travel, but there is also a HUGE amount of convention business, and lots of business people traveling thru as well. I previously used the United Club when US was part of the Star Alliance, and it was usually pretty full.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
There is a lot of leisure travel, but there is also a HUGE amount of convention business, and lots of business people traveling thru as well. I previously used the United Club when US was part of the Star Alliance, and it was usually pretty full.
Agreed... Orlando is one of the largest meetings/events/conventions cities in the country, so it actually has a very high amount of business travel -- especially from the markets US/AA serve.

I can remember the previous US club being added on to twice over the years I was a member, just to keep up with demand... Which may be one of the challenges.

I worry about the way this management team would look at it... Judging from past history of the US Club and the current traffic in the UA Club the demand is certainly there from existing members, but would opening a club there bring in enough new members to justify the added expense of all of the space needed to serve the demand?

Sure, it would be a great additional service to existing members... But I don't see a lot of great new services to existing customers being added anywhere else in the company. Everything seems to have to have direct profitability now -- not just indirect. ...And don't even think about doing something just to be better than your competition -- god forbid.

The lack of a Club in Orlando is an opportunity lost, IMHO.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
+1 to the MCO request, will be spending a lot of time hopefully finding a spot at the terminal restaurant (Ruby Tuesday?)

As an aside, and certainly off-topic to this thread, but the lift going to MCO this time of year is amazing, on A330 from PHL and 767 between MCO and MIA...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
and the current traffic in the UA Club the demand is certainly there from existing members, but would opening a club there bring in enough new members to justify the added expense of all of the space needed to serve the demand?
I also visited the United Club a few times....

...with the family, which the majority of the others in the club appeared to do at those times I visited. They even had a kids room next to the bar! I'm not sure an AC club would be anything more than a nice perk for existing members on Disney vacations than a profit center.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
I also visited the United Club a few times....

...with the family, which the majority of the others in the club appeared to do at those times I visited. They even had a kids room next to the bar! I'm not sure an AC club would be anything more than a nice perk for existing members on Disney vacations than a profit center.
The old US Club actually had a kids room downstairs as well... Not that I never saw kids in either the old US Club or the current UA Club, but I saw a lot more single travelers who appeared to be there on business than I saw families.. But YMMV, of course.

I'm not sure the number of families in there is a strike against them... Few companies these days pay for Club memberships -- most business travelers have to pay for these memberships (regardless of what route they go to get access) out of pocket in some way. Being able to take their family in there when they travel on vacation adds significantly to the value proposition, and increases one's likelihood to buy/keep a membership.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Not that it means much but a GA supervisor at MCO told me a few weeks back that the're working on plans to open up a club in the old US space.

Having moved to MCO a few months ago from NY, I can't stand not having a club! Worst airport in the country for business travelers IMHO.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
First time visit to PHL B/C Admirals Club at breakfast time. I don't expect a gourmet spread but would like to know whether Chobani yogurt, bagels and crossaints are standard fare in addition to coffee and orange juice. Does the Admirals Club provide cereal, milk and whole fruit like the United Club?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:06 am

Totoro, don't forget the instant Oatmeal too:-)

PHL B/C has Strawberry and Blueberry Chobani now over the Activia they used to carry - and the new Nescafe machine (I do miss the Flavia though as it at least let you make a chemical laden but still delicious green tea latte). For tea drinkers its worth noting they now have Twinings tea bags.

A big minus though is the return of the dreaded AT&T sign-in page with password required.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
USAirways to Close Buffalo Lounge

Saw this in the Buffalo News Today:

So sad.. i really liked going there on my way out of Buffalo after seeing my parents... I guess this isn't the upgrade I was looking for... also makes me reconsider a club membership if they are going to close clubs.. is Tampa next?
----------------
Add the USAirways Club to the list of departures from Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

The lounge for VIPs and frequent fliers, long a mainstay of the airport’s west concourse, will close in late August or early September, according to Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority officials.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ounge-20150723

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2015 at 6:07 pm Reason: Copyright violation
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
That is too bad... I wonder what the lease terms were? This must put places like GSO on alert...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:14 pm

The staff there is always so friendly. Loved it on my occasional trips to Buffalo.

Combining of the airlines should have provided even more traffic to the club.

Yes- I think GSO and other small airports should be expecting when the lease ends, so does the club (for many).
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Sad to see a club go.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Combining of the airlines should have provided even more traffic to the club.
pmAA's BUF presence was negligible (Eagle to ORD only) so unfortunately didn't add too much to what US had there before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.