Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jlemon
Please forgive my ignorance in advance.....

We are interested in hopefully flying in F on EY with a roundtrip routing of DFW-AUH-SEZ. In addition, we would travel LFT-DFW roundtrip on AA Eagle. No specific dates yet and we have lots of flexibility.

Would this be one award or two awards per person and how many AAdvantage miles would be required? I believe the AA website says 100,000 miles per person are required for travel in F between North America and the Seychelles.

Many thanks.....
Sorry to break the news, but it would require 150k one way for the F. The reason is that transitting is not allowed in third regions (except exceptions, which EY in this case is not, however QR is). So it would require 2 awards - one US to Middle East (90k) and the other one Mildde East - Africa (60k), since Seychelles are in Africa region.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by TokinaMaso
Sorry to break the news, but it would require 150k one way for the F. The reason is that transitting is not allowed in third regions (except exceptions, which EY in this case is not, however QR is). So it would require 2 awards - one US to Middle East (90k) and the other one Mildde East - Africa (60k), since Seychelles are in Africa region.
Also note that EY does not fly an F cabin AUH-SEZ, highest class of service is business. It would run 2 awards per person US-AUH-SEZ on EY with US-AUH in F @ 90K per person and AUH-SEZ in J @ 45K per person = 135K each way.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Also note that EY does not fly an F cabin AUH-SEZ, highest class of service is business. It would run 2 awards per person US-AUH-SEZ on EY with US-AUH in F @ 90K per person and AUH-SEZ in J @ 45K per person = 135K each way.
Thank you. And it appears that a one way Y award AUH-SEZ would be 30K per person, correct? Also, I know this is not the forum for this but it also appears I cannot use BA Avios for this travel.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:27 pm

Can anyone look to see if i do this right or not? i try to book a flight one way from Lax - Auh then Auh to MLE

1/ Lax - Auh flight number: EY 170 on 8/30/2016 [ i find available for 2 business guest seat]
2/ Auh - Mle flight number: EY 278 on 8/31/2016 [ i find available for 2 business guest seat]

I see those date open for 2 business, which mean i can call AA to use the mile to book for EY flight in an amount of 62,500 point per person? please let me know if this available to book as point thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Can anyone look to see if i do this right or not? i try to book a flight one way from Lax - Auh then Auh to MLE

1/ Lax - Auh flight number: EY 170 on 8/30/2016 [ i find available for 2 business guest seat]
2/ Auh - Mle flight number: EY 278 on 8/31/2016 [ i find available for 2 business guest seat]

I see those date open for 2 business, which mean i can call AA to use the mile to book for EY flight in an amount of 62,500 point per person? please let me know if this available to book as point thanks!
Your booking process is correct. However, it will be 67,500 instead of 62,500. ^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver

EY170 leaving 8/30 will land at 20:00 on 8/31 (+1 day). You'll need to take EY278 leaving 09:15 on 9/1, not 8/31.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I am seeing nothing in F on this route through the end of schedule load. Agree with you that there used to be plenty of availability, even just a week ago. Something is up.
I would check again if I were you, I am seeing plenty - mostly with two available Guest Seats.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by guppies
Your booking process is correct. However, it will be 67,500 instead of 62,500. ^
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
EY170 leaving 8/30 will land at 20:00 on 8/31 (+1 day). You'll need to take EY278 leaving 09:15 on 9/1, not 8/31.
Thank Quppies and SFOPhD now i know what to expect about the mile and the hour for my November booking date when it become available.

One more question since i use AA mile to book this flight, and if i need to add another segment to my flight because my home base is not LAX. So if i add another segment for AA flight from SEA to LAX to this flight EY LAX-AUH-MLE which mean AA agent won't charge me additional point on top of 67,500 point right? thank a lot help me guys! ^
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So if i add another segment for AA flight from SEA to LAX to this flight EY LAX-AUH-MLE which mean AA agent won't charge me additional point on top of 67,500 point right?"

The answer to that question depends on whether EY publishes a SEA-MLE through-fare that permits a SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE. If EY does not, then AA will (properly) charge you additional miles for SEA-LAX. At that point, you might want to consider routing via Japan instead.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 8, 2015 at 11:36 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So if i add another segment for AA flight from SEA to LAX to this flight EY LAX-AUH-MLE which mean AA agent won't charge me additional point on top of 67,500 point right?"

The answer to that question depends on whether EY publishes a SEA-MLE through-fare that permits a SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE. If EY does not, then AA will (properly) charge you additional miles for SEA-LAX. At that point, you might want to consider routing via Japan instead.

Hmm i am not sure how can i routing Japan? you mean Sea -Nrt? because i don't think EY offer fly from Sea- Nrt? please explain how can i routing it to Japan thanks!

This is great, this way i learn more from your guys advice
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I would check again if I were you, I am seeing plenty - mostly with two available Guest Seats.
Yep, looks like it is back! Must have just been a glitch going on during the day(s) that the other poster and I were searching.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm i am not sure how can i routing Japan? you mean Sea -Nrt? because i don't think EY offer fly from Sea- Nrt? please explain how can i routing it to Japan thanks!

This is great, this way i learn more from your guys advice
No, you would fly different carriers to Japan: maybe SEA-YVR-TYO or SEA-SFO-TYO, or SEA-LAX-TYO, using some combination of AA, AS, and JL; then CX, EY, or QR TYO-XXX-MLE.

Because you would be on two awards, you could even stop over in Japan for a few days, if desired.

But if SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE is a valid EY award routing, that would be the cheapest way in miles.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:35 pm

Thank Quppies and SFOPhD now i know what to expect about the mile and the hour for my November booking date when it become available.

One more question since i use AA mile to book this flight, and if i need to add another segment to my flight because my home base is not LAX. So if i add another segment for AA flight from SEA to LAX to this flight EY LAX-AUH-MLE which mean AA agent won't charge me additional point on top of 67,500 point right? thank a lot help me guys! ^
That's correct. It will be 67,500 SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:37 pm

I don't think you can route through Japan, because AA rules do not allow North America to Middle East via Pacific. Or, correctly put, you must route through Atlantic for travels from N. America to Middle East. Otherwise, it would be two separate awards. Is my understanding flawed? Then darn!!! I should've routed through Japan or Hong Kong instead, b/c both JAL and CX are nice!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guppies

That's correct. It will be 67,500 SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE.
Have you determined that EY has a published SEA-MLE through-fare that permits such a routing? If not, AA will charge additional miles for the SEA-LAX award leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.