Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:25 am

AA CSR claims that she can't book JFK-AUH-EVN, their system (~Acorn?) doesn't have/support that. She wants me to route trough Moscow for more miles wait time.
I see Guest Economy available in etihad.com, is there a reason why it doesn't work?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by avagyan
...I see Guest Economy available in etihad.com, is there a reason why it doesn't work?
Well, that last factor does not mean it's necessarily possible as an AAdv award.

Could be published fare/ published routing issue or just bad AAgent info, for sure, I'd give it another shot with a new phone agent.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Dupe. Will post this elsewhere.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 14, 2015 at 2:42 am
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:23 pm

I'm just gonna put it out there that not all first apartment space is gone. Just put some on hold.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by avagyan
AA CSR claims that she can't book JFK-AUH-EVN, their system (~Acorn?) doesn't have/support that. She wants me to route trough Moscow for more miles wait time.
I see Guest Economy available in etihad.com, is there a reason why it doesn't work?
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, that last factor does not mean it's necessarily possible as an AAdv award.

Could be published fare/ published routing issue or just bad AAgent info, for sure, I'd give it another shot with a new phone agent.
It's a routing issue I guess
According to the seemingly more knowledgeable AAAgent
Only exception for going through subcontinental middle east is to South Africa
Armenia is Europe and there is no exception to Europe and never been before

EY has reasonably priced JFK-AUH-EVN though.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Hi,

Wondering if AA will allow me to book EY from MEL to CMB via AUH? I checked the routing rules and can't find it in the exceptions so does that automatically mean it isn't allowed?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zainman
Hi,

Wondering if AA will allow me to book EY from MEL to CMB via AUH? I checked the routing rules and can't find it in the exceptions so does that automatically mean it isn't allowed?
Yes, unfortunately that's what that means. (On a single award, obviously.)
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by zainman
Hi,

Sri Lanka is categorized as Asia 2 and awards between South Pacific and Asia 2 cannot traverse any other zones.

You can book MEL to India via AUH, however, and perhaps purchase a cheap ticket from India to CMB.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by aradisc
Sri Lanka is categorized as Asia 2 and awards between South Pacific and Asia 2 cannot traverse any other zones.

You can book MEL to India via AUH, however, and perhaps purchase a cheap ticket from India to CMB.
From AUH several flights go to Southern India, a mere hop to CMB . Besides much to take in in that part of India also......
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:24 am

Having a real heck of a time adding two lap infants to a round trip AUH-DFW. I've gotten info now from a few different rate agents, varying from $891 (which they then withdrew) to ~$1000 to as high as $1400. They are claiming that this is 10% of the full fare business class RT - is the full fare RT really ~$12,000? The highest unrestricted fare I can find on Etihad's website is ~$7000. Am I missing an even higher unrestricted fare? Should I keep hanging up/calling again until I get the lowest possible price?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by giantreesemar
Having a real heck of a time adding two lap infants to a round trip AUH-DFW. I've gotten info now from a few different rate agents, varying from $891 (which they then withdrew) to ~$1000 to as high as $1400. They are claiming that this is 10% of the full fare business class RT - is the full fare RT really ~$12,000? The highest unrestricted fare I can find on Etihad's website is ~$7000. Am I missing an even higher unrestricted fare? Should I keep hanging up/calling again until I get the lowest possible price?
So after a few additional calls, I have gathered that despite AA's policy of making infant fares 10% of the applicable fare, for Etihad they charge 20%. I cannot find this information listed anywhere else. Hm.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:55 am
Suspended

So after a few additional calls, I have gathered that despite AA's policy of making infant fares 10% of the applicable fare, for Etihad they charge 20%. I cannot find this information listed anywhere else. Hm.
AA does not have such policy (a "policy of making infant fares 10% of the applicable fare".)

Many are 10%. Some are higher. On some tickets there isn't even an infant fare.

Some guidance offered to AAgents:

DO NOT assume that internationally an infant will always be 10% of the applicable fare. You must look at fare rules as this is not always the case. i.e. in the case of LA Codeshares and their affiliates, there is no such thing as a lap child in F and J cabin. The infant must have a seat and there is no discount for them on the F and J fares. (Refer to LA CODESHARE for more details. )

Always check your fare rules for details specfic to each carrier.
and an example they are given:
Infant Fares - CX Prime or AA Codeshare Operated by CX

Be sure and check the rules on fares where flights are on AA codeshare flights operated by CX infant or on CX prime flights. The fare may be 25% of the adult fare rather than the 10% we normally see. Remember that for CX fares, since this is an OA carrier, the rules must be checked.
or LA for example:
LA does not publish fares allowing infant discounts for travel in business class. Looking at an LA fare quote MIA-SCL, the rules for their business class fares show no discount allowed.
So, while the agent may or may not have been right that Etihad's infant fare is 20%, it's determined by Etihad, not AA regardless.

And they have very specific instructions as to how to check the fare to base the infant fare off of, in the case where is 10%-- but it's complicated (it's quite a process,) so obviously some of the agents you spoke to (dunno which one(s) are correct though.)

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
So can you book the infants on Etihad for the 10% with cash ? You may have to share your adult ticketing on AA to them.......
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:15 am

Has anyone booked or seen F availability on JFK-AUH/AUH-JFK for the A380 flight on any day recently for travel next year?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
Has anyone booked or seen F availability on JFK-AUH/AUH-JFK for the A380 flight on any day recently for travel next year?
I saw some availability last week 6/28 for 2 in F from JFK-AUH EY102 and on AUH-JFK EY103. Both of the awards were available only on 5/12/16. I booked JFK-AUH, but AUH-JFK was available for sometime (I think til Tuesday 5/30), but now it's gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.