Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aglp2k
Can you buy this ticket with the route you want on Etihad website? If not, you won't be able to get it as an award IME.
But if you -can- does -not- automatically mean the opposite.

Correct answer is guv1976's
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:41 pm

thanks for the replies. That is great news, EY does indeed publish a fare for this route. I just thought maybe the most direct routing would have been MH through KUL. Only problem now is trying to find First Apartment space, which seems to be non-existent outside of 60 days.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Has anyone found good award availability for any dates for the A380 JFK-AUH route on F/J? I've only found empty award space for the Jet Airways 777 which looks super ghetto. How far in advance do you have to book and any chance for more space to be released as the date gets closer (if so, what kind of intervals)?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:28 am

If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
So I have a newbie question. I want to do JFK-AUH but I realize this may not be possible as there is absolutely no availability in late Dec on the A380 in J/F.

If I wanted to do JFK-LHR-AUH how I would I go about booking the JFK-LHR segment. It's not searchable as an option on the Etihad website. Will I get smacked with a BA fuel surcharge?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oops just realized I had a post before me that I could have just edited... it must be getting late.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If I wanted to do JFK-LHR-AUH how I would I go about booking the JFK-LHR segment. It's not searchable as an option on the Etihad website. Will I get smacked with a BA fuel surcharge?"

Search for "SAAver" seats on aa.com for JFK-LHR. Any available award options on AA and BA will be displayed. You would have to call AA to actually book the entire award, since any award with even one segment on EY is not bookable at aa.com.

If you fly on BA metal, you will be hit with the BA surcharge.

Any particular reason you want to route via LHR? I'm sure EY serves other European cities that AA flies to from JFK (but I don't know what aircraft type EY uses from those other cities to AUH).
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Any particular reason you want to route via LHR? I'm sure EY serves other European cities that AA flies to from JFK (but I don't know what aircraft type EY uses from those other cities to AUH).
Ah I see -- thanks.

Just trying to find a JFK routing that also includes an A380 segment

Edit: Does Etihad not release ANY seats for First on A380 (EY 102). Looking well into next year 330 days in advance.

Last edited by supermintyfresh; Jul 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Ah I see -- thanks.

Just trying to find a JFK routing that also includes an A380 segment

Edit: Does Etihad not release ANY seats for First on A380 (EY 102). Looking well into next year 330 days in advance.
they have blocked all 380 First seats....a few months ago it was still possible but now they prefer paid upgrades and own FFP iso guest seats....maxbe ut improves when the 380 hype cools down
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:15 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Has anyone found good award availability for any dates for the A380 JFK-AUH route on F/J? I've only found empty award space for the Jet Airways 777 which looks super ghetto. How far in advance do you have to book and any chance for more space to be released as the date gets closer (if so, what kind of intervals)?

Thanks in advance
I manged to book 2 J and 2 F in March this year on the same EY 102 JFK-AUH for a March '16 departure. However as others have discussed it seems like EY has pulled award availability for this flight since then. Traditionally EY does open award space closer in but intervals vary.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Etihad F inventory not bookable with AA agents again?

I've been trying to snatch an F GuestSeat on Etihad, but AA agents haven't been able to see it since 7/25. They are also not seeing other F inventory for the rest of August. Is this a repeat of late May/June? Anyone else having issues, and is there anyone we can escalate this to?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
If Etihad isn't releasing F award inventory (or perhaps further inventory, considering the last minute nature of the search), whom could an inquiry be escalated to? AA has no way to influence EY in award release.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I had no problem grabbing 2 F seats over the Christmas period this year, from previous expereince, you had to call often, the Agents tell me, that Etihad opens up seats from time to time, but there is no set rule on when and how many
where are you trying to go from? if as your profile says, ask the agent to look at other departing cities, ORD, DFW etc. you might find better luck and as long as there are sseats on AA you should be fine
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:44 am

fotographer, when did you book the tickets?

Yes, looking for JFK to AUH. Does GuestSeat availability not always match up with AA bookable seats? I was able to grab the J segments that I needed, and they matched up perfectly with what the agents saw.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Etihad F inventory not bookable with AA agents again?

Booked last week
It took 4 calls over a period of 3 days
Keep trying I know it's sometimes seems fruitless
I am still trying to upgrade to the A380
Found one seat but not two
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:18 am

had a booking on 380 to SYD for 2 F Seats. CNX was on 787 ex Europe. Wanted to Change dep City, Agent confirmed availability and I noticed he changed to Y all the way through....He wanted to correct his mistake, however NO AVAILABILITY from EY. Case had to be escalated to AA Head Office and EY Liaison, w/out succes....EY just wont release F seats on Long flight AUH/LHR no Problem....several montsh ahead!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:54 pm

Yeah I'm trying to lock down a semi-last minute trip to the Maldives. I suppose the GuestMile inventory isn't 100% accurate then, but that I just need to keep calling in. I found some alternatives through HKG, but the HKG-MLE leg is longer, and there's a red-eye on the return which means I might need to book that in J for the wife.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.