FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:37 pm
guppies

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So if i add another segment for AA flight from SEA to LAX to this flight EY LAX-AUH-MLE which mean AA agent won't charge me additional point on top of 67,500 point right?"

The answer to that question depends on whether EY publishes a SEA-MLE through-fare that permits a SEA-LAX-AUH-MLE. If EY does not, then AA will (properly) charge you additional miles for SEA-LAX. At that point, you might want to consider routing via Japan instead.
I don't think you can route through Japan, because AA rules do not allow North America to Middle East via Pacific. Or, correctly put, you must route through Atlantic for travels from N. America to Middle East. Otherwise, it would be two separate awards. Is my understanding flawed? Then darn!!! I should've routed through Japan or Hong Kong instead, b/c both JAL and CX are nice!