Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
on one of these in F from DFW to LAX and the lack of power is just awful.

It is not as bad as it would be on a CLT SFO, but is still pretty bad for 2017
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Avoid rows 9 and 22 for sure. Those seats are 1 - 2" NARROWER than standard seats. I like 10A or 23A the best. I'm 6'3" and 290 (with shoulders wider than my waist, but the waist is catching up!)
My partner is of similar size (weighs slightly less ) and was totally fine in 23F (on PHL-LAS). I think 23F wins over 23A because you don't have the FA jump seat in front. Someone was sitting there most of the flight.

While the tray table is in the interior armrest, there isn't much of an exterior armrest, so your hips are not squished in, which can be the case for him in some regular exit rows (and why we didn't take row 22).

I was in 23D, and the tray tables are NOT in the arm rests of the middle/aisle seats, despite SeatGuru. I didn't have my ruler, but I could have sworn there was an inch or two of extra legroom, even though seat guru says their isn't and AA.com says "regular legroom" (although I think they sell the seat as either MCE or premium).

Either way, I thought it was a rather comfortable flight (for coach). The plane was in pretty good condition. Lack of power wasn't really that big of a deal. Make sure you're charged up before boarding, if your device can't last ~5 hours on a charge, find another device. If you're a business person running to the airport after meetings, you should probably carry around a spare battery/charger.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by introspection
on one of these in F from DFW to LAX and the lack of power is just awful.

It is not as bad as it would be on a CLT SFO, but is still pretty bad for 2017
That's a shame they're finding their way on to DFW-LAX (I guess once crews are integrated it was expected anyway). I kind of liked knowing to stick to LAA hubs to have proper equipment. At least AA.com let's us know via "sharklets" designator.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That's a shame they're finding their way on to DFW-LAX (I guess once crews are integrated it was expected anyway). I kind of liked knowing to stick to LAA hubs to have proper equipment. At least AA.com let's us know via "sharklets" designator.
Agreed. These planes suck.

I flew one last Saturday and the lack of AC power was very irritating. I even declined an op-up to F because I prefer to sit in 10A as opposed to the crap F seats with no legroom.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
At least AA.com let's us know via "sharklets" designator.
Yeah, but if you're booking more than three months out or so, it's very possible they'll change to the LUS version. This has happened to me on ORD-CLT, CLT-DFW, and I've seen it on many flights to the west cost out of DFW. Booked the specific flights designated as "Sharklets" only to have them changed to the old turkeys when the schedule changes were loaded- which seems to occur most weekends.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
While the tray table is in the interior armrest, there isn't much of an exterior armrest, so your hips are not squished in, which can be the case for him in some regular exit rows (and why we didn't take row 22).

I was in 23D, and the tray tables are NOT in the arm rests of the middle/aisle seats, despite SeatGuru. I didn't have my ruler, but I could have sworn there was an inch or two of extra legroom, even though seat guru says their isn't and AA.com says "regular legroom" (although I think they sell the seat as either MCE or premium).
22B/C, 22D/E, 23A, and 23F are sold as MCE. 23D/E aren't upcharge seats, and appear to be blocked for advance reservation (as are 23B/C).

23D/E are terrible and look worse or same as standard pitch coach seats to me. 23E gets the added bonus of having 23F's tray under their right arm.

Row 22 (22D and 22E) are VERY narrow as compared to a regular seat. I'll grab 22E if 23F (and 10A/B/C) is taken, but I always end up too cozy with the stranger in 22D as the cost of infinite legroom.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I've been flying this route (and connecting) for a few months and I've been enjoying the 788 and 772 flights. Sadly, these are gone and it's almost exclusively 321s. I'm avoiding LAX-DFW for now.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSparky
I've been flying this route (and connecting) for a few months and I've been enjoying the 788 and 772 flights. Sadly, these are gone and it's almost exclusively 321s. I'm avoiding LAX-DFW for now.
I know that AA is going to be doing more widebody domestic flying going forward, will be interesting to see where they focus it (longer flights vs competitive routes vs between/amongst international stations, etc.)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
23D/E are terrible and look worse or same as standard pitch coach seats to me.
Well, as you might tell from my post, I strongly disagree that they're terrible. Pitch may be the same, though it *looked* like more pitch than the row behind, and was certainly more than "normal" legroom these days (but it seems like this aircraft has 32" throughout, this row was either 32 or 33.

23E gets the added bonus of having 23F's tray under their right arm.
Yes, this is true. The guy in the middle had to move his arm every time F took out or put back the tray. I probably would avoid this seat. But the aisle seats C/D both have regular armrests on both sides (and the aisle armrest raises). I wouldn't hesitate to sit in 23A/C/D/F again.

Row 22 (22D and 22E) are VERY narrow as compared to a regular seat. I'll grab 22E if 23F (and 10A/B/C) is taken, but I always end up too cozy with the stranger in 22D as the cost of infinite legroom.
I can't imagine the seats are any closer together. It certainly didn't appear this way from behind. The tray table in the arm rest makes the seat bottom narrower, and can squeeze your hips/thighs, but your shoulders won't be any closer.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I can't imagine the seats are any closer together. It certainly didn't appear this way from behind. The tray table in the arm rest makes the seat bottom narrower, and can squeeze your hips/thighs, but your shoulders won't be any closer.
The are. Last time I was on one I was the first person in the back. I stood and eyeballed and the right armrest of 22E does not line up with 23E.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
As someone who values seat width over seat pitch - mostly due to shoulders, although my middle section is doing a great job of catching up over the years! I can confirm that the seats in row 22 AND row 9 are narrower than any other seats on the plane.

US used to charge more for these. I always felt bad when I saw another guy my size presumably have to pay for the privilege of squeezing into one of these torture devices. I avoid those two rows at all costs.

Personally, I prefer all Arbii to Boeings in Y - the seats are about 1" wider. Makes a big difference to the back and shoulders to me. (please don't hate me for saying that!)

On a related note - EVERY seat on Southwest is completely intolerable for me. I won't fly them if I can avoid it, and even if I have to, < 2 hours flights.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:51 am

Seat Advice for 4 Adults, 1 two year old, and a lap child on the US Air A321 LAX-CLT

Hi, first time flying with kids. Spending way too much time thinking about the perfect seat on this flight. It is an American Airlines flight, on the A321 (US Air Config).

Assuming price for non-first class premium seats is not an issue, and all seats are available, what would be your recommended setup with two kids? My current thoughts:

Option 1: Book Row 5... I know it doesn't have a ton of leg room due to the bulkhead wall, but could a two year old stand up and use the small amount of space there is?

Option 2: Book Row 19 and 20 ABC... since it is next to the bathroom for easy access, and maybe there is room near the bathroom to stand around and stretch legs.

Option 3: Some combination of exit row non-exit row (for the kids), but felt this could cause issues where our kids will want to hang around the exit row area during flight if a family member is sitting there. Tempting, but probably risky.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone in your traveling party is not exit-row eligible, then nobody in your party is exit-row eligible, so Option 3 is a nonstarter.

If the two adults who aren't parents of the two kids want exit rows, they'll have to book separately and then not make it obvious they're traveling with two other adults who have two small kids with them (lest they lose their exit row seats).

I'd go with row 5.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
If I am in seat 25A, would I be able to exit my seat going forward and then have access to the lavatory without having to "walk over" the pax in the seats in the row ahead of them, i.e. is there sufficient space so that they'd likely not have to reposition themselves for my passage?
Old May 29, 2017, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I know that AA is going to be doing more widebody domestic flying going forward, will be interesting to see where they focus it (longer flights vs competitive routes vs between/amongst international stations, etc.)
Here's one!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2017-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.