Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS Airbus A321 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat

Hello -

I am currently booked in to seat 4C going from PHL to LAX, as this was the only available seat outside of Row 1. I have heard that this seat has limited recline. Is the limited recline that noticeable? I am only 5'10 and plan on mostly catching up on movies on my iPad (making someone reclining in to me not a huge inconvenience). Is it worth switching to 1C/D?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the current thread, please see here: Airbus A321 (legacy US A321-200) master thread

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 2017 at 4:27 pm Reason: Insert moderator note
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I'm a tad taller but not a major recliner. There is a bulkhead behind and coats do generally go on hangers behind you, but unless you're planning to sleep and need the recline to do so, you'll likely be fine.

I prefer it over row 1 as I want the underseat storage and not have to worry about getting on board early enough to find space above before it fills near the seat.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
I'm with phlwookie on this one, I much prefer row 4 over row 1. I'm 6'2 so the bulkhead in front of row 1 bothers me, but the recline on row 4 has never been an issue - especially if you don't mind squishing the coats hanging behind you!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I agree row 4 over row 1. Im 6'5" and my feet don't fit in the bulkhead. The recline in row 4 has never bothered me. You should be fine in row 4.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Along with possible recline issues, the major problem I see with row 4 is if the equipment gets downgagued to an A320. There are only 3 rows of F on the A319/320. Probably not a major issue, but still a possibility.

I'm 5'11" and never had an issue with row 1 on any A319/320/321, other than the boarding scramble and hoping to put my stuff somewhere close to my seat.
I've actually found that I can more easily hop over my seatmate in row 1 -v- the other rows, especially if it is someone I know
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: US Chairman's ––> AA Executive Platinum BIS 1.1MM
At 5'9" I've also never had a problem with the "footroom" in row 1. However, I would argue that row 4 actually has BETTER recline because you can stay reclined the whole time, i.e. the flight attendants generally will not make you bring your seat forward for takeoff and landing. In addition if you stay reclined, they are unlikely to try to stuff so many coats behind you so as to impede your recline.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the input. 'First world problems' to be sure. Looks like 4C it is.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I flew 4F this AM, decent recline. I definitely prefer back row to first row.
And I'm a window guy. (I try and lean my melon on the side. (One of the few benefits of coach over FC, is the proximity to the "wall" and being able to lean and sleep). Obviously YMMV, and not trying to litigate Window vs Aisle here either.
Cheers
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I prefer it over row 1 as I want the underseat storage and not have to worry about getting on board early enough to find space above before it fills near the seat.
In FC, there is some under-seat storage in window seats, but for the aisle's there's hardly any. Well, there's 'no-man's land' in the middle and one could politely ask to use it! Personally, I would offer the middle space to the person sitting by the window if I have the aisle seat since it's my courtesy for unintentionally blocking his/her path.

For the bulkhead, I sometime prefer it since there's nobody going to recline into my face. Least to say, my drinks would come first before anyone else's!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by longnguk
In FC, there is some under-seat storage in window seats, but for the aisle's there's hardly any. Well, there's 'no-man's land' in the middle and one could politely ask to use it! Personally, I would offer the middle space to the person sitting by the window if I have the aisle seat since it's my courtesy for unintentionally blocking his/her path.
However, you can't keep a bag in front of you at 1A/F during takeoff and landing. When in row 1, my bag spends as much time as it's allowed on the floor in front of me, the only real exception being redeyes where I'm usually out cold and don't need it. When in 1C/D I do try to keep it as out of the way as possible though - I don't want the crew or bathroom users to trip on it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by phlwookie
However, you can't keep a bag in front of you at 1A/F during takeoff and landing.
Not necessarily.

A well-placed lap blanket can conceal a bag that's under your legs in Row 1.

BTW, many of the new A321's have a fully functional AC outlet in the wall next to seat 1A. Just be sure to use your bag/blanket to conceal its usage, which for some reason is typically frowned upon by the flight crew.

Last edited by tommyleo; Jan 27, 2014 at 10:07 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Not necessarily.

A well-placed lap blanket can conceal a bag that's under your legs in Row 1.

BTW, many of the new A321's have a fully functional AC outlet in the wall next to seat 1A. Just be sure to use your bag/blanket to conceal its usage, which for some reason is typically frowned upon by the flight crew.
Keep in mind that this outlet is delivering 120V, 400Hz power as opposed to standard US 120V, 60Hz. Some power supplies will be fine with it, some will overheat and fail. YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Red face Which Seat Would You Choose?

Hello All!

I am about to purchase a ticket for a flight from DCA to SAN (DCA->PHX, PHX->SAN) on Feb 8 and I can't decide on which seat to choose.

Here is a picture of the available seats (note that I have the ability to pick exit row seats now because I am a Silver Dividend Miles Select member):

Note that my current selection is 23A. I understand that is a good seat due to not having a seat in front, however, unlike 23F there is no under seat storage.

I am a bit tall (5'11) and a bit on the heavy side too (235 lbs) but most of my weight is in my stomach, not my sides. So the fact that exit row seats are a bit narrower is a concern but probably not too much.

Thank you!

Jan
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As US Airways is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger US Airways forum. Also, due to your low post count and the embedded image, your post was originally placed in a moderation queue; I've now approved it. As you amass more posts, this issue will disappear.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat
I think 10C is the best seat in the house. If you prefer windows though, I'd go 10A or 10F. the seats are a tiny bit narrower, but because they are like a box, you are contained to that space. So you or your neighbors butt/legs can't spill over. I find it super comfy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.