Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:25 pm

I got a ticket from CLT- west coast and am deciding between 10a/f and 23a/f. Anyone around 6'5/300 been in those seats? Any of them narrower than the other?

10a/f and 23a/f do not have seats in front of them.

I've looked over seatguru, but wanted to see if anyone here has personal recommendations
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You will find a lot of discussion on this here.
perfect! Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ajumbaje
I got a ticket from CLT- west coast and am deciding between 10a/f and 23a/f. Anyone around 6'5/300 been in those seats? Any of them narrower than the other?

I've looked over seatguru, but wanted to see if anyone here has personal recommendations
Sounds like you need an F seat!

Honestly, I've had very pleasant rides on the LUS 321's. Every seat is good with the wider Airbus seating and 32-33" of legroom. There is wifi available. Specifically, look at seatguru -- it portrays the plane pretty accurately.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I also believe the FA's jumpseat is in front of 10F and 23A (not 10A and 23F), if that matters at all.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS

10A/B/C, and 23F are all 'tray in armrest' so they have reduced width. Pretty sure same is true for 10F and 23A.

10A/B/C are very roomy in front with all of row 9 missing on that side, and I know I've been in 10B when two fellas of your size (6'5", 300#) were in A and C. They spilled over a little above the armrests but we were otherwise comfortable. They all have easy in/out from the front. C has a little "under seat" storage room under 8C, but that's it (unless you get an old "West" plane without a raft).

23F can be a little cramped when 23E is occupied, but has infinite legroom in front and easy in/out from the front. 21F can be used to store a bag during flight.

I would take 10A or 10C as per your window/aisle preference.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

So 10c would be best if I want some storage under me or in front of me? That or 23f
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So 10c would be best if I want some storage under me or in front of me? That or 23f
I don't care for the seats in rows 22-23 as much, especially for longer flights. There's a bathroom right there, so you have lines for that. And even though the FA's usually announce not to, people will mill around in the area in front of row 22. Plus it is further back, so it takes longer to get off the plane.

My favorite seat on this aircraft is 10F. There may not be underseat storage (sometimes the FA has directed me to put stuff behind their jumpseat, sometimes not), but if you can board early enough you can put things in the overhead.
I always take my headphones out of my bag before I stow it anyway. And for a long flight (where I'll want to watch movies), I'll take out my laptop too. I put it beside me on the seat (sideways), and have never had an FA say a word about it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:36 pm

I grabbed 10f for both legs
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Avoid rows 9 and 22 for sure. Those seats are 1 - 2" NARROWER than standard seats. I like 10A or 23A the best. I'm 6'3" and 290 (with shoulders wider than my waist, but the waist is catching up!)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Avoid rows 9 and 22 for sure. Those seats are 1 - 2" NARROWER than standard seats. I like 10A or 23A the best. I'm 6'3" and 290 (with shoulders wider than my waist, but the waist is catching up!)
saw that on seatguru. Definitely went with 10f
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I fly this plane twice a week, every week. My u/g often doesn't clear... 10A is easily the best seat in coach. Window, unlimited leg room, plenty of *lateral* leg room also. You can get up and stretch in the space between your seat and the row in front of you. There's underseat storage (only 10B doesn't have storage). Honestly, 10A is a better seat than some of the seats in first class if you don't mind the proximity of the person next to you. I think the only FC seats that are superior are the bulkhead windows since you get the window view and can easily get up and walk past the person in the aisle seat.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Just flew CLT-SFO last night on this beast. This is easily one of the worst flight experiences I've had on AA. 6 hours - no MCE, no power, no seatback IFE. Unreal. I usually fly JFK-SFO on the A321T, but I had to be in CLT. You would think that flying out of CLT, they'd have something better.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
You would think that flying out of CLT, they'd have something better.
Agreed. It would be much appreciated if AA would dedicate the newer Sharklet A321s on these long transcons into/out of CLT, but so far no luck. Putting the old US turkeys on shorter flights would make more sense to me, but then again I'm not in airline ops...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
as cross-fleeting proliferates and eventually cross-staffing of FAs across the network starts occurring (which I do not believe has started yet), I really do hope AA repositions the 32Bs to the longest transcon routes (PHL and CLT - SEA,SFO,LAX) though I'm not that hopeful

Some of these LUS 321s are quite new, and the seats are fairly comfortable up front; but power at the very least would make a world of difference for these birds
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Just flew CLT-SFO last night on this beast. This is easily one of the worst flight experiences I've had on AA. 6 hours - no MCE, no power, no seatback IFE. Unreal. I usually fly JFK-SFO on the A321T, but I had to be in CLT. You would think that flying out of CLT, they'd have something better.
Not all LAA planes have seat back IFE either, and have some of the most uncomfortable seats.. 737-800, those over head monitor have their issue's too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.