Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
So, my previous airport was ELP which had no direct flights (and Delta status, which also has few direct flights), so I am used to connections now and don't really mind them, especially if I have lounge access. So I am thinking that based on your comment, I should still try to stick with AA, so that I have better upgrade possibility. I've heard horror stories about the Techbros hogging all the upgrades on United out of SFO.

Originally Posted by HSaxa
What perks matter to you?

On UA, you can get lots of places nonstop from SFO. You can also use your miles easily with a lot of options to get to those places. But as a Gold, you will likely very seldom see an upgrade.

On AA, the story is reversed. (Generalizing, but you get the point)
Old May 7, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
DL jumped to US

I made the DL -> US jump last August. Paid the $200 for a silver preferred trial program, made Chairman's status (30K miles within 90 days) and have been flying US ever since. I started getting some upgrades last year after making US Gold. and consistent upgrades last year (Nov-Dec) after making Chairman's. As Chairman's in 2014 I am a nifty 25/25 upgrades, and most of this out of US hub PHL. As a Delta DM for all of 2013, I was getting only about 50% upgrades. This year dropped to Delta PM, I am a measly 2/15 on upgrades.

All bets are off when the merger is fully implemented ...
Old May 7, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ausstone
I'm currently Diamond on Delta but I'm looking to move over to AA for the obvious reasons. Will AA provide any type of status match? Will USAir provide a status match? Or should I just stick with the AA Challenge?

I'm based in Miami so I'm guessing the AA Challenge shouldn't be an issue. Thoughts?
I did the same thing. You pay to enroll in a Platinum status challenge. (There is not currently an EXP challenge). Then, just fly 10k points (not miles) in 3 months and you'll be plat for a year. Then, earn your way back to EXP. (100k).

Currently, it's worth the hassle.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
US Airways offered me Gold for 90 days as a trial because I purchased a discounted F class ticket in February. Credited to UA so they know that I am a 1K.

I matched status to AA EXP, but never flew them once, two years ago. Was Plat until end of this February and now they are trying to get me to buy status. Gold for $649 or Plat for $1199.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I made the DL -> US jump last August. Paid the $200 for a silver preferred trial program, made Chairman's status (30K miles within 90 days) and have been flying US ever since. I started getting some upgrades last year after making US Gold. and consistent upgrades last year (Nov-Dec) after making Chairman's. As Chairman's in 2014 I am a nifty 25/25 upgrades, and most of this out of US hub PHL. As a Delta DM for all of 2013, I was getting only about 50% upgrades. This year dropped to Delta PM, I am a measly 2/15 on upgrades.

All bets are off when the merger is fully implemented ...
As we have an extant thread discussing which programme to switch to from DL/UA, I'll go ahead and merge this thread in.

~Moderator
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, Priority Club Plat, Marriott, SPG, Htz Gold
AA v. DL

Thoughts? In my area, DL planes are nicer, amenities are better and price is comparable. I've been gold, plat or chairman;s US dividend miles for 25 years but I think I gotta switch. Looking for reason not to.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:18 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by smithit
Thoughts? In my area, DL planes are nicer, amenities are better and price is comparable. I've been gold, plat or chairman;s US dividend miles for 25 years but I think I gotta switch. Looking for reason not to.
Inability to ever use miles for awards at 'normal' redemption levels is the show-stopper that prevents me from switching...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

also no F partner redemptions on SM
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by smithit
It might be helpful to indicate what "my area" is.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), DL MM, Hyatt Glob (LT), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold (LT)
You might to look at the following thread on the DL forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...dm-united.html

Although the initial topic is about DL vs UA, there is a thoughtful comparison of DL and AA in around post #49.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JPG3392
It might be helpful to indicate what "my area" is.
I think we can safely assume it's not DFW
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Due to my location, I travel on both AA and DL on a regular basis (pretty much alternate between them week-to-week). Nashville is a "focus" city for DL. I think my sig line below says it all. It's always great to find that I'm #10 of 24 on the DL upgrade list, with two F seats available, as is the case for my flight out of BNA tomorrow.

Edit: as of this morning, three hours prior to departure, I'm #11.

Last edited by BSBD; Aug 25, 2014 at 6:13 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a question about the difference between the RJ facilities each of these companies have in NYC.

I am disgusted with DL's bus to the plane third world RJ setup at LGA and the terrible RJ farm that they have at JFK.

Is it any better than this over at AA? The awful Chautauqua ERJs on my RJ routes are essentially the same so that has no bearing on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any information the AA flyers can provide.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by monitor
I have a question about the difference between the RJ facilities each of these companies have in NYC.

I am disgusted with DL's bus to the plane third world RJ setup at LGA and the terrible RJ farm that they have at JFK.

Is it any better than this over at AA? The awful Chautauqua ERJs on my RJ routes are essentially the same so that has no bearing on the subject.

Thanks in advance for any information the AA flyers can provide.
At LGA the downside with RJs is they mainly leave from the C gates and the AC is in the D pier. The problem is the two piers are not connected airside so if you want to visit the AC you have to clear security in the D pier, then exit and clear security again in the C pier.

At JFK the RJs go mainly from the far end (Gate 31) of the satellite building so you have access to both ACs and the FL. My recollection is it is 100% via jetbridge.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
At LGA the downside with RJs is they mainly leave from the C gates and the AC is in the D pier. The problem is the two piers are not connected airside so if you want to visit the AC you have to clear security in the D pier, then exit and clear security again in the C pier....

At JFK the RJs go mainly from the far end (Gate 31) of the satellite building so you have access to both ACs and the FL. My recollection is it is 100% via jetbridge.
Thank you sir. An answer that comes as quickly as this one did is greatly appreciated.

I have one more question. Since I am not using AA for anything else (yet), the AC is immaterial but a huge bonus would be if the RJs at LGA are jetbridge as well as those at JFK. Is that the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.