Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DL's fare-based earning for 2015 may mean big earnings if someone is buying you high fare tickets relative to distance. Reward availability across five different levels remains to be experienced.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Katlor
I am a four year DL gold and one year AA platinum status holder. I have recently moved back to San Francisco and am deciding whether to go DL or AA for my flights this year, in order to maximize my status level for next year and have the best airline program for my needs. I fly 30-50 flights a year.

I am very familiar with Delta, having flown often as Gold, but I am not as familiar with AA. What is better for SFO in terms of upgrades, mile awards, etc?
For what it's worth, if your travel includes Los Angeles frequently, the Delta Shuttle is tough to beat. Weekday frequency on the hour in each direction on comfortable E75 planes (rollaboards fit in overhead). I get upgraded as DL Gold about 75% of the time on this route. The complimentary snacks are terrific on the shuttle, and they do offer free beer and wine as well.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Thx for the advice re high-fare-to-distance and also the Delta Shuttle.

I had my first experience on the Delta LAX-SFO shuttle this week and it was great-- like you said, very comfortable and free wine/snacks. I just missed an upgrade on that flight but the bulkhead coach seat was perfect-- it even had space under the First Class seat in front for my bag. The snacks were strangely good-- apples with organic peanut butter.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:38 am

It should have been AA over DL program for any airport of flyer.

In all fairness, however, it depends on what you are really looking for out of these FFPs. If you are looking for the awards, then AA is clearly a better candidate, even after the award changes took place on April 8, 2014.
If you are looking for the unlimited upgrades without paying any additional charge, then DL, as you need to pay for the stickers to upgrade on AA flights; if you are looking for the hard product, which I would suggest you to do so, then AA and DL are head-to-head. Some say DL aircraft are newer, which is true, but their seats are very hard to sleep on.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
AA. DL's programme is already rubbish for redemption and will be even worse for earnings come 2015.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:10 am

I've been able to find coast-to-coast first class trips on AA for 25k miles. Delta at least twice that. But, of course, assuming you pay for the majority of your flights, you could first look at typical fares for your typical routes, realizing fares can change. I don't know if UA being dominant means fewer upgrades. They also have more flights. But AA seems a bit better on mileage flights than UA, much better than DL. I should add we are taking DL on an upcoming international trip because the fare was so much lower than UA and, even more so, AA.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
AA vs DL program for SFO flyer?

don't forget about AA's nice admirals club and T2 compared with delta's offering in T1.

Transcon service to JFK is quite nice on the A321T. Fare purchased is important as well as AA allows sticker upgrades on this route while DL does not. The smaller planes AA has will allow them to increase frequency
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:21 pm

Thanks all, these are all good points. Between the better miles rewards, SFO T2, and possibility of sticker upgrades with AA, AA is probably the better domestic airline program option. I still may fly Delta to Europe as the flights seem significantly less expensive, but AA for domestic seems like the right choice.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA does have a pretty nice lounge at T2 at SFO. Unlike their old lounge in T3, you can actually find seats in the new one at peak times.

Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I am a four year DL gold and one year AA platinum status holder. I have recently moved back to San Francisco and am deciding whether to go DL or AA for my flights this year, in order to maximize my status level for next year and have the best airline program for my needs. I fly 30-50 flights a year.

I am very familiar with Delta, having flown often as Gold, but I am not as familiar with AA. What is better for SFO in terms of upgrades, mile awards, etc?
I'll go ahead and merge this into the extant consolidated thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old May 5, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, Omni, Marriott
I'm switching as well - anybody have any feedback whether it's overall better to go to US or AA?
Old May 5, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by theskunk
I'm switching as well - anybody have any feedback whether it's overall better to go to US or AA?
Mostly depends on what routes you fly -- upgrades are not reciprocal yet, so you're probably better off favoring the carrier whose planes you're actually likely to end up on in the short term.

Most of the non-upgrade benefits are more or less reciprocal, at this point.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
I'm curious... what are the obvious reasons?
revenue based qualifcation for status and staring Jan 1 revenue based for accruing redeemable miles.

My question to OP is do you really want to jump into another merger? One is enough to last me a lifetime.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:08 pm

AA vs. UA

Hello all,

I posted earlier in this thread about trying to decide between Delta (where I am currently Gold Medallion) and AA (where I am currently Platinum) for my FF program, since I have just moved to San Francisco.

The consensus on that thread is that AA is better than Delta on all counts (better mileage redemption, upgrades, terminal, etc).

However, I have just been offered a mileage challenge to do 12,500 miles on United before July 30 to get United Premier Gold status for next year. So now I am wondering whether I should commit to AA or United for my next years' frequent flyer program.

Any thoughts? I have found a $1500 United flight to Lima for a mileage run to do before July 30 to accomplish the challenge.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
What perks matter to you?

On UA, you can get lots of places nonstop from SFO. You can also use your miles easily with a lot of options to get to those places. But as a Gold, you will likely very seldom see an upgrade.

On AA, the story is reversed. (Generalizing, but you get the point)

Hello all,

I posted earlier in this thread about trying to decide between Delta (where I am currently Gold Medallion) and AA (where I am currently Platinum) for my FF program, since I have just moved to San Francisco.

The consensus on that thread is that AA is better than Delta on all counts (better mileage redemption, upgrades, terminal, etc).

However, I have just been offered a mileage challenge to do 12,500 miles on United before July 30 to get United Premier Gold status for next year. So now I am wondering whether I should commit to AA or United for my next years' frequent flyer program.

Any thoughts? I have found a $1500 United flight to Lima for a mileage run to do before July 30 to accomplish the challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.