Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I switch from UA / DL? DM or AAdvantage? Benefits? Differences? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: None
Gotcha and you are absolutely correct - for some people the changeover date can make a difference.

Jim
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Gotcha and you are absolutely correct - for some people the changeover date can make a difference.

Jim
Does anyone know what the date is for US on this to qualify for this year and next at CP level vs doing the challenge now and just getting the status good for this year?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by scherzva
I have 90 days to earn 25,000 points (not miles) to keep my ExecPlat status. Points are based off fare class (so 1,000 miles flown on a N fare ticket is only worth 500 points while a P fare is worth 1,500 points). http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp
Are these 25,000 points needed to come American flights or they can come from CX? I have two up-coming trips to HKG and is thinking about asking status match from AA.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by z8108
Are these 25,000 points needed to come American flights or they can come from CX? I have two up-coming trips to HKG and is thinking about asking status match from AA.
EQP/points are what counts for the challenge when I did it as UA1K/2MM and got Exec status. - If you fly CX you should consider ensuring it's an H fare or higher.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

If it might be a lower fare have your travel agency (or you) book the AA marketed flight number as those do NOT have the severe limitation on points, however do note that on AA G, Q, N, O, S fares will get full elite miles but 50% of EQP/Points.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

When I did the challenge I did not have the time then to do the ExecPlat challenge. I'm now on path to make ExecPlat by Sept with NO challenge this year; fully given up on UA now.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
US does indeed have basically the same although I think the date is different than AA's (later in the year for US I think).
I think you're right about the date for US. IIRC, it was something ridiculously late like October in order for the status to last for more than a few months.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tennen
I think you're right about the date for US. IIRC, it was something ridiculously late like October in order for the status to last for more than a few months.
I'm thinking something in August/September - about the middle of the program year. But I could definitely be wrong.

Jim
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by z8108
Sorry, CX does not count for status points challenge purposes. BA, IB, JAL, and QF do, so if you're going to Asia, perhaps you can use JAL or Qantas?

http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Challenge_%28AA%29
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Go for USAir for this year. Since that's the metal you'll fly most, you will have better elite benefits for your flights since not all such benefits are reciprocal at the moment (preferred seating, upgrades, etc.). If you can't get a status match or challenge based on your UA status -- most STAR carriers won't match status from other STAR programs but after next month, US will be OW and might want to capture tens if not hundreds of thousands UA elites like yourself -- working your way up the tiers this year will get you some of the benefits while positioning you for the full merger next year.

Can't see the merging happening until next benefit year given the cost of sending out new kits mdi-year, etc.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scherzva
It is impossible to find out what your chances to clear an upgrade instantly
Not completely true. You can use EF (looking for C or A space). Moreover the American website tells you if the SWU is available. The negative is it may say one is available and be referring to J ---> F or Y ---> F on the short leg and not the long leg. You can get around this with EF or by just checking leg by leg and seeing if it displays SWU availability

As for transferring from a 1K - I received the same challenge that scherzva laid out at the end last year and received EXP through February 15.

OP is likely better off going the US Airways route and if you end up on an AA flight by chance just credit back to US.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
With your travel patterns, if you have the money can afford it, I would go with US Airways, buy up to CP now (before the rates go up and you can't [3/1]), and earn away on US Air trying to make sure you fly enough to make their thresholds (if you are going for CP). When the new year starts my "guess" is that they will transition CP's to EXP and then at that point you will enter the land "of milk and honey" :-).

+-ADT
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Sorry, CX does not count for status points challenge purposes. BA, IB, JAL, and QF do, so if you're going to Asia, perhaps you can use JAL or Qantas?

http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Challenge_%28AA%29
Thanks. I can only do CX or UA due to negotiated corporate fares. I guess I will have to stick with UA then.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Well, thanks to @BoeingBoy I was able to get AA to semi-match my United 1K status to Platinum (not a challenge, an actual through-Feb 28 2015 match). I think it took effect today. Now I guess I need to book everything going forward since we're already in March on AA/US/AS to move that odometer from 0 to 100,000+.

Any idea if ExP systemwides can be used on US this year? I have some TLV travel coming up (and yes I know about the TLV ex-TWA brouhaha).

AA agreed to EXP challenge last year but I was unable to complete it.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Any idea if ExP systemwides can be used on US this year? I have some TLV travel coming up (and yes I know about the TLV ex-TWA brouhaha).
No use of EXP Systemwides on US Airways yet
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:32 pm

Congratulations born sleepy.

Jim
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Well, thanks to @BoeingBoy I was able to get AA to semi-match my United 1K status to Platinum (not a challenge, an actual through-Feb 28 2015 match). I think it took effect today. Now I guess I need to book everything going forward since we're already in March on AA/US/AS to move that odometer from 0 to 100,000+.

AA agreed to EXP challenge last year but I was unable to complete it.
So they gave you systemwides to use this year as well?

How many EQP did you put on UA last year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.