Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:16 am

Hey all, quick question. This is actually more of a general AAdvantage partner award question, but I figured I'd start here:

I'm planning a surprise trip for my wife and I for our 10th anniversary next year. Surprise as in she knows that we're going somewhere without the kids, she just doesn't know where. We each have enough AA miles for a one-way business class award on QR to where I want to go, but neither of us has enough miles for both redemptions.

Availability aside, I'm concerned about booking this. If QR was displaying correctly on the AA website these days it would be easy enough to book from one account, put it on hold, then book from the other account and go back and confirm the first. However, given that QR awards aren't displaying well (if at all) I'll probably need to call in and book. Am I allowed to book awards over the phone using miles from someone else's account? Is there a way to "prove" that my wife authorized me to book with her miles? I could have her get on the phone, tell the agent it's okay, then leave the room, but that wouldn't seem very convincing to me if I were an agent. Anybody ever done this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dfw88
Hey all, quick question. This is actually more of a general AAdvantage partner award question, but I figured I'd start here:

I'm planning a surprise trip for my wife and I for our 10th anniversary next year. Surprise as in she knows that we're going somewhere without the kids, she just doesn't know where. We each have enough AA miles for a one-way business class award on QR to where I want to go, but neither of us has enough miles for both redemptions.

Availability aside, I'm concerned about booking this. If QR was displaying correctly on the AA website these days it would be easy enough to book from one account, put it on hold, then book from the other account and go back and confirm the first. However, given that QR awards aren't displaying well (if at all) I'll probably need to call in and book. Am I allowed to book awards over the phone using miles from someone else's account? Is there a way to "prove" that my wife authorized me to book with her miles? I could have her get on the phone, tell the agent it's okay, then leave the room, but that wouldn't seem very convincing to me if I were an agent. Anybody ever done this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have booked numerous trips where either the outbound or return were booked out of my account and the other out of my wife's account, or where we had two tickets on a given itinerary from my account and two more on the identical itinerary from my wife's account (I'm usually booking for our family of four). I have always had her standing by to talk to the agent if asked-- sometimes they requested to speak to her to have her confirm that it was her account and she agreed with the ticketing, whereas other times they just let me book with her AAdvantage number. I'd suggest making sure she's around when you call, so she can talk to the agent if necessary. I will warn you that it may screw up your surprise, since they may ask her to confirm that she's using the miles for a particular routing. If you're lucky, you may get one of the agents who isn't concerned about verification, and you'll keep the surprise intact.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 3MMiler
Score!! Just snapped up LAX-DFW-DOH-KGL for next Oct in J (Qsuites on the 350-1000 for the DFW leg) for two. Now hoping to score on the way back once those seats are released!! Had to call the ExPlat desk since on line it only showed Y for the AA leg with no option to purchase F. Not going to waste 30K miles for Y on AA. Still think 75K for QR is way worth it. Thanks AAdvantage.
whimsey21 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I have booked numerous trips where either the outbound or return were booked out of my account and the other out of my wife's account, or where we had two tickets on a given itinerary from my account and two more on the identical itinerary from my wife's account (I'm usually booking for our family of four). I have always had her standing by to talk to the agent if asked-- sometimes they requested to speak to her to have her confirm that it was her account and she agreed with the ticketing, whereas other times they just let me book with her AAdvantage number. I'd suggest making sure she's around when you call, so she can talk to the agent if necessary. I will warn you that it may screw up your surprise, since they may ask her to confirm that she's using the miles for a particular routing. If you're lucky, you may get one of the agents who isn't concerned about verification, and you'll keep the surprise intact.
Thanks for your reply. Good to know that this is at least possible. I'll have my wife standing by, but hopefully if I explain the situation to an agent who wants to verify they'll be content with just having her verify that my use of her account is okay without actually verifying the routing. Here's to hoping. Either way, thanks for the help.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks for your reply. Good to know that this is at least possible. I'll have my wife standing by, but hopefully if I explain the situation to an agent who wants to verify they'll be content with just having her verify that my use of her account is okay without actually verifying the routing. Here's to hoping. Either way, thanks for the help.
Typically the only requirement is that you use a credit card for taxes/fees that is the same name as the AAdvantage account holder that the miles are being pulled from. So your wife doesn't even need to be standing by as long as you can grab a card in her name.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Typically the only requirement is that you use a credit card for taxes/fees that is the same name as the AAdvantage account holder that the miles are being pulled from. So your wife doesn't even need to be standing by as long as you can grab a card in her name.
Yes. This has been my experience when booking out of my husband's accounts. For me it wasn't about any surprise, just that there was no way he would be bothered to call, I'm the secretary around here .
whimsey21 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status

I'm planning a surprise trip for my wife......
If her email is attached to her account, then she'll likely get a confirmation email if you book something or even put it on hold. That would ruin the surprise. Not sure if you can turn off the email notifications so you might want to change the email in her account if you haven't already.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to have her credit card handy.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by mangoMan
If her email is attached to her account, then she'll likely get a confirmation email if you book something or even put it on hold. That would ruin the surprise. Not sure if you can turn off the email notifications so you might want to change the email in her account if you haven't already.
Already planned for. Her AA emails will be coming to my secondary email address (with her permission of course).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
It may be different for me because I use the EXP desk, but in my experience there's never been the slightest question when I call to book flights for both of us using miles from my spouse's account. I've never had a question using my credit card in that situation either. If my spouse weren't one of the passengers, then the agent would undoubtedly want to confirm that it's OK and might insist that the credit card be in the same name. Also, the agents have always asked me which email address to use for the confirmations.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
if i’m not seeing any QR availability for my dates either on the AA website or the BA website, is that a sure fire way of indicating that there is no availability? or is it possible that if i call the agents might be able to find something?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by rvlcr
if i’m not seeing any QR availability for my dates either on the AA website or the BA website, is that a sure fire way of indicating that there is no availability? or is it possible that if i call the agents might be able to find something?
Not available.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:03 am

AA re-issuing Qatar Award Ticket

Yesterday I received a confirmation/re-issue from AA of an Award ticket on Qatar (SYD - JRO) for a March trip. This is the 3rd time AA has re-issued the ticket since I purchased in November. The first time, there was a 5 minute change, OK. The last two times, no change I can detect from the emails. The thing is, each time they re-issued, AA has issued a different Ticket number.

Anyone know why AA would re-issue tickets for a partner airline, (multiple times), with no changes to flights, times, etc.? Is there something I need to be doing on the Qatar side each time AA issues a new ticket number, to ensure nothing's messed up with the Award?

I can't find anything obvious, but it's making me a bit nervous.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is nothing odd in there being a new ticket number - every ticket issued has a new number

Seems odd that there were changes for apparantly no reason - has AA given a reason for it?

For things like just a time change, the airline could simply revalidate, but seems that AA doesn't seem to be into re-validating tickets
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing odd in there being a new ticket number - every ticket issued has a new number

Seems odd that there were changes for apparantly no reason - has AA given a reason for it?

For things like just a time change, the airline could simply revalidate, but seems that AA doesn't seem to be into re-validating tickets

Absolutely nothing I can see.

On the first email, with the 5 minute flight change, there was actually verbiage: "We made a change to your flight, and this is your updated itinerary. We issued new ticket numbers but did not charge you. Other flight changes may include updates to departure/arrival times, flight numbers, aircraft type, operating carrier or class of service." The next two emails, no verbiage as to reason the email was sent, and no new changes I can see.

It's flights 907 (SYD-DOH) and 1357 (DOH-JRO), in March.

I have to get ready for a meeting, but when I back will check the Qatar metal. Just occurred to me it could be that. But I didn't think AA provided notification of partner equipment changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.