Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by golfer20
Meanwhile, this has been my luck. Seeing this for almost any USA - DOH route from mid-May to mid-August. Sometimes, I get a random economy connection through Europe (LHR, BCN, MXP, you name it). Wondering if this issue is due to AA.
Yeah, AA's IT isn't great, and their award search is even worse. I also don't think it helps that AA doesn't release a lot of Saver awards that far out, so if there is a connection required you probably can't get it.
With that said I did some searches and noticed a few things
1) All US gateways seem to have nothing, which is crazy since the lesser used gateways (SEA, IAH, SFO, etc.) usually have something
2) YUL has some availability
3) there is A LOT of availability on RJ through AMM

It could be an AA thing, a QR thing, or just everyone booking speculative flights fearing a devaluation which didn't happen.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:05 am

QR cycled through 2022 summer release to all the North America cities 2-4 months ago. There was actually good availability from different cities at different times but it wasn't out there long. Then maybe 4-6 weeks ago, they pretty much blocked either May 15th or June 15th through September 10th-ish. At least in J.

You can still occasionally pick up a random non-stop in QR J USA-DOH during that period, most often from ORD or DFW it seems like. I just picked up an August random ORD-DOH-MLE. Checking several times most days I haven't seen anything for a return to DOH-USA to a North American city though. Except YUL a couple of times.

QR DOH-Europe in J still has awards over the summer but then it's mostly BA back to the US on a connection. I'm hoping they'll eventually release F awards on the A380 DOH-LHR route, but so far that I've seen they've only released J.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
QR cycled through 2022 summer release to all the North America cities 2-4 months ago. There was actually good availability from different cities at different times but it wasn't out there long. Then maybe 4-6 weeks ago, they pretty much blocked either May 15th or June 15th through September 10th-ish. At least in J.

You can still occasionally pick up a random non-stop in QR J USA-DOH during that period, most often from ORD or DFW it seems like. I just picked up an August random ORD-DOH-MLE. Checking several times most days I haven't seen anything for a return to DOH-USA to a North American city though. Except YUL a couple of times.

QR DOH-Europe in J still has awards over the summer but then it's mostly BA back to the US on a connection. I'm hoping they'll eventually release F awards on the A380 DOH-LHR route, but so far that I've seen they've only released J.
I was able to pick up 2 J seats LUN-DOH-ORD about 10 days ago. This was right on the 330 days horizon.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY, AC, OV
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, easy change assuming there's no married segment issues going on.

If you get a bad agent that seems uneasy about the change or says you need availability on the whole itinerary, etc., just HUCA.
I'm in the same situation on an award itinerary with YYZ-ORD-DOH. First segment is in Economy (T) and second in Business (U), although the ticket was the 70k miles per person. Is there a specific type of "Business" award I need to look for on the AA search that is eligible for upgrading?

I'm seeing all kinds of points amounts for these tickets, including "Web Special" and just "Business" awards and guessing some of these can't be applied to my ticket. The AA agent I spoke to also insisted I need to find availability on the entire YYZ-ORD-DOH in J to upgrade the ticket, which doesn't sound correct.

As an aside, is there some reason DOH-DXB on QR is so hard to find space on (and why even cash tickets are so expensive?)
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:02 pm

Anyone been able to get a CPT-DOH J award before? Looking towards the end of the calendar and only seeing main cabin.

Update: I'm sure the answer is yes as I do see some dates available earlier in Sep 2022. Slim pickings though.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Anyone been able to get a CPT-DOH J award before? Looking towards the end of the calendar and only seeing main cabin.

Update: I'm sure the answer is yes as I do see some dates available earlier in Sep 2022. Slim pickings though.
I definitely saw some because I needed that routing myself, but then it kind of dried up so I'm flying via Etihad (and JNB) instead. Fingers crossed Etihad extends their seasonal CPT flight into September and I can switch to that...
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:21 am

I had a CPT-DOH J award in September. I think I booked it about 8 months out.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I had a CPT-DOH J award in September. I think I booked it about 8 months out.
I stayed up late and was able to book a J award shortly after AA loaded their inventory at approximately 2am CST.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I stayed up late and was able to book a J award shortly after AA loaded their inventory at approximately 2am CST.
Unfortunately awards that are either in limited supply or in high demand (or both) may require you do this. I've had to do it on several airlines award searches.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I couldn't find anything that works for my July return so I went with Etihad instead. Could only find flights into YUL on QR and then nothing in sAAver on from there.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I’m in the same boat as many of you. Trying to get flights in June (really any time from 20th onward) from PHL to MLE via DOH (QR) or AUH (EY). Striking out on the phone with AA and using my premium expert flyer sub.

Apparently QR has no award availability there or back at any time.

I’ll continue to hunt down flights.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Chewie
I’m in the same boat as many of you. Trying to get flights in June (really any time from 20th onward) from PHL to MLE via DOH (QR) or AUH (EY). Striking out on the phone with AA and using my premium expert flyer sub.

Apparently QR has no award availability there or back at any time.

I’ll continue to hunt down flights.
Unfortunately you're about 1-2 months too late to book June 2022 flights...

Check BA for QR availability and AC for EY, check all the various NA gateways and be ready to book domestic flights separately if you have to, that's the best advice for either. Good luck.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Unfortunately you're about 1-2 months too late to book June 2022 flights...

Check BA for QR availability and AC for EY, check all the various NA gateways and be ready to book domestic flights separately if you have to, that's the best advice for either. Good luck.
Actually, just got off the phone with AA. Got outbounds booked via Etihad in J (through ORD). The return requires an overnight in AUH, but it’s also on EY in J. At least we’re booked, and I can make changes at any time without penalty or fees.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: AA
Had an award flight booked for roughly $80 per person in fees. A new route popped up this morning I went to book, but the fees are now almost double! It looks like AA is indicating there are 2 $60 Maldives charges...is this an error?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by skoizza
Had an award flight booked for roughly $80 per person in fees. A new route popped up this morning I went to book, but the fees are now almost double! It looks like AA is indicating there are 2 $60 Maldives charges...is this an error?
Is it for 2022? I read a couple months ago Male upped their airport departure taxes for 2022. Tied to whether flyers were traveling in F, J, or coach.

Some folks were complaining about it on another travel forum but I don't recall the specifics. Think it was something like an additional $60-$100 dollars in F or J. I'd forgotten about it until this, will go back and check my Feb award ticket when I have a chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.