Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by shaned
If there is sAAver availability shouldn’t be a problem to switch it out. Quick call should do it.
There's availability, just for the last leg, DOH-MLE on first class. But I wasn't sure if they need to cancel the entire booking to change the last leg, and perhaps risk losing the ticket altogether, as there is zero availability from the US to DOH for my dates.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jskang07
There's availability, just for the last leg, DOH-MLE on first class. But I wasn't sure if they need to cancel the entire booking to change the last leg, and perhaps risk losing the ticket altogether, as there is zero availability from the US to DOH for my dates.
As long as there is availability on the flight when combined with the flight from the US ( i.e. that there are no married segment availability issues ) , then just should be able to call up and get that 1 sector changed
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:27 pm

If it’s in first from DOH-MLE then that might reprice the entire itinerary. I’ve called and asked about the same route. AAgent confirmed changing to a first class segment on that leg would increase the price from 70K to 115K miles.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:43 pm

If it’s in first from DOH-MLE then that might reprice the entire itinerary. I’ve called and asked about the same route. AAgent confirmed changing to a first class segment on that leg would increase the price from 70K to 115K miles.
Yikes. Unfortunately, there's only first class available for those two early flights, no business. Do you think it's feasible for me to book a separate DOH-MLE ticket at 40k miles or would that throw off my entire ticket since I have an existing DOH-MLE leg the same day?
Old May 18, 2022, 4:48 pm

Yikes. Unfortunately, there's only first class available for those two early flights, no business. Do you think it's feasible for me to book a separate DOH-MLE ticket at 40k miles or would that throw off my entire ticket since I have an existing DOH-MLE leg the same day?
You could put it on hold, call AA to modify your existing reservation, and then purchase the new DOH-MLE leg, but by doing that you now have two separate reservations. You'll have to collect your bags in DOH and re-check, meaning you'll have to enter Qatar and follow all the COVID entry requirements for Qatar. If you're just transiting through DOH you do not need to follow those entry requirements. If it were me, I'd stick with what I have.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:51 pm

I assumed that yoi already had a 1st class ticket from your query - as was posted , indeed you would need to redeem a 1st class award to travel in 1st class

You could, if you want to, change the existing business class award of US to MLE to just be US to DOH and then book a 40k award rather than pay 45k to change the entire existing award , however I think that you will need to make 2 separate bookings unless you have a stopover in Doha

If you make 2 separate bookings, then you no longer have protection should you misconnect or should a schedule change impact your connection or similar

Unless the existing booking is non-workable, I would suggest sticking with the existing award and just do checks to see whether business class becomes available on an earlier flight rather than throw 40k miles to get an earlier flight
Old May 18, 2022, 4:54 pm

You could put it on hold, call AA to modify your existing reservation, and then purchase the new DOH-MLE leg, but by doing that you now have two separate reservations. You'll have to collect your bags in DOH and re-check, meaning you'll have to enter Qatar and follow all the COVID entry requirements for Qatar. If you're just transiting through DOH you do not need to follow those entry requirements. If it were me, I'd stick with what I have.
Yea, that's what I'm leaning towards. And pray that our flight lands on time so we can make the seaplane transfer. Thanks for all your help!
Old May 18, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I assumed that yoi already had a 1st class ticket from your query - as was posted , indeed you would need to redeem a 1st class award to travel in 1st class

You could, if you want to, change the existing business class award of US to MLE to just be US to DOH and then book a 40k award rather than pay 45k to change the entire existing award , however I think that you will need to make 2 separate bookings unless you have a stopover in Doha

If you make 2 separate bookings, then you no longer have protection should you misconnect or should a schedule change impact your connection or similar

Unless the existing booking is non-workable, I would suggest sticking with the existing award and just do checks to see whether business class becomes available on an earlier flight rather than throw 40k miles to get an earlier flight
We're only in Maldives for 3 nights, so didn't want to risk missing the seaplane transfer and lose a night in Male. As long as we get land on schedule, we should be fine, but if we're delayed for any reason, we might be SOL. I appreciate your help!
Old May 18, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
We're only in Maldives for 3 nights, so didn't want to risk missing the seaplane transfer and lose a night in Male. As long as we get land on schedule, we should be fine, but if we're delayed for any reason, we might be SOL. I appreciate your help!
I agree with Dave Noble. If you have bags / a tight connection, stick with what you have and set up some alerts. (Though I’m surprised you can’t through check via DOH on separate PNRs.)

The F experience is nice, and depending on how many miles you have, it could be worth it. There’s also a direct bus from the Al Safwa lounge to the remote stands. That was a nice perk and came in handy given that our inbound delay from LHR left us with a 50 minute connection (I was on separate PNRs; my fiancée was on a single PNR).

I’m sure the resort you’re going to has contingency plans in place for the delays or weather. If the miles difference is worth it, make the confirmable switch and get the extra time in the sun.

On the separate PNR topic — I do think Qatar links them up behind the scenes to some extent. I am flying back to the US on separate PNRs and my fiancée to Europe (single PNR). She is able to check in without issues, yet I am only able to obtain a check in confirmation, likely due to the COVID test requirement associated with my DOH-JFK leg.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

AA might be able to put all flights in one record but break the award in DOH. In theory, this should be fairly easy for an agent to do, although they may have to call Tariff to do it. In practice, it likely depends on the skill of the agent you get. If you want to force it, you could add three connecting flights, so it's four flights to get to DOH, which would automatically break the award in DOH, and then cancel the connecting flights. But you shouldn't have to resort to such games.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
AA might be able to put all flights in one record but break the award in DOH. In theory, this should be fairly easy for an agent to do, although they may have to call Tariff to do it. In practice, it likely depends on the skill of the agent you get. If you want to force it, you could add three connecting flights, so it's four flights to get to DOH, which would automatically break the award in DOH, and then cancel the connecting flights. But you shouldn't have to resort to such games.
If making a new booking, it would be easy - with an existing booking, I do not think that the agent would be able to add a new booking into the same record
Old May 19, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
If making a new booking, it would be easy - with an existing booking, I do not think that the agent would be able to add a new booking into the same record
An agent should be able to add additional flights to an existing record without issue.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
An agent should be able to add additional flights to an existing record without issue.
But I don't think that they can sell a separate ticket for it

c.f. person has a ticket JFK-LHR and then decides wants to start from ORD. Easy to change the booking to be ORD-LHR via JFK, but if wanting to purchase a separate ticket ORD-JFK, that isn't doable

Also where a through fare exists, getting the airline to issue a through itinerary consisting of 2 separate fares is , ime, not possible with AA

Maybe it can be done, but it seems moot since the passenger seems to be sticking to original 70k itinerary

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 19, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Here's what happened when I switched DOH-MLE segment from biz to first. I booked LAX-DOH-MLE in business for October about 3 months ago. We needed to change the outbound by a few days. For the DOH-MLE there was only 1st for the flights arriving in the morning (the flight with biz seats available would get in after 3pm). So, we had agent make the change and paid the extra 40K miles/ticket. Agent had to refund the miles and $$ paid on the original reservation and then I provided credit card to charge the $$ upon reticketing (and pulling the miles). As for the reservation, I believe the agent only touched the outbound to change the dates I requested. When I made the change, there was still good availability on other nearby dates on the long-haul segments, so I wasn't as concerned. Now, seeing almost no availability, I would be more hesitant to make such a change since I wouldn't to risk losing what I have.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Here's what happened when I switched DOH-MLE segment from biz to first. I booked LAX-DOH-MLE in business for October about 3 months ago. We needed to change the outbound by a few days. For the DOH-MLE there was only 1st for the flights arriving in the morning (the flight with biz seats available would get in after 3pm). So, we had agent make the change and paid the extra 40K miles/ticket. Agent had to refund the miles and $$ paid on the original reservation and then I provided credit card to charge the $$ upon reticketing (and pulling the miles). As for the reservation, I believe the agent only touched the outbound to change the dates I requested. When I made the change, there was still good availability on other nearby dates on the long-haul segments, so I wasn't as concerned. Now, seeing almost no availability, I would be more hesitant to make such a change since I wouldn't to risk losing what I have.
That's the exact scenario I'm in. I don't mind paying the extra miles/$$, but I don't want to risk losing the ticket in the process of rebooking, as there is zero availability from the US to DOH. We'll just have to pray we land on time to make the transfer at this point. Appreciate your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.