Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
It's possible the award inventory isn't really there (phantom space), but if it is, you can always call or Twitter DM AA to book. You may want to use the BA web site to verify award availability.
So its basically just like the QF F issues I experienced often pre Covid where the inventory wasnt really there. In that case it always said Choose a New fare. In this case with QR it keeps saying "Fix 3 errors" and also says "Our system is having trouble"

I called AA and 2 diff reps and a Help Desk cant do anything. They are clueless but just keep saying "why dont you take the option through Cairo we have that available". I dont want to fly an A320 to Cairo and A319 to London. Of course I am trying to get on the ex CX 777 or the A380. Both are glitching with this same message.

And I tried both DOH-ZRH and DOH-CDG and did so on 12 different days now and its the same message. How can AA show the inventory wrongly 12 different days? Thats so messed up.

I also took out the routing to LHR to see if that was the issue but still the non stop to ZRH and the one to CDG still glitch out, on 12 different days.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
So its basically just like the QF F issues I experienced often pre Covid where the inventory wasnt really there. In that case it always said Choose a New fare. In this case with QR it keeps saying "Fix 3 errors" and also says "Our system is having trouble"

I called AA and 2 diff reps and a Help Desk cant do anything. They are clueless but just keep saying "why dont you take the option through Cairo we have that available". I dont want to fly an A320 to Cairo and A319 to London. Of course I am trying to get on the ex CX 777 or the A380. Both are glitching with this same message.

And I tried both DOH-ZRH and DOH-CDG and did so on 12 different days now and its the same message. How can AA show the inventory wrongly 12 different days? Thats so messed up.

I also took out the routing to LHR to see if that was the issue but still the non stop to ZRH and the one to CDG still glitch out, on 12 different days.
It may or may not be phantom inventory. It's best to use an alternate source to verify if the QR award space is there or not. I suggested BA but there are others you can use.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:06 pm

It may or may not be phantom inventory. It's best to use an alternate source to verify if the QR award space is there or not. I suggested BA but there are others you can use.
Do I need a BA account to search that? I recall once trying to do that and being stuck. I will check it out. 3 diff AA reps said its a No go.

Assuming phantom inventory how can AA have 12 different days of 2 diff flights (both ZRH & CDG) showing as available in F but its not. Thats preposterous and really annoying.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:29 pm

Do I need a BA account to search that? I recall once trying to do that and being stuck. I will check it out. 3 diff AA reps said its a No go.
You need an Executive Club membership, but that's free. I've also used QF and JL to search, but those can be harder to use (although QF has a nice feature of showing a calendar view).

Assuming phantom inventory how can AA have 12 different days of 2 diff flights (both ZRH & CDG) showing as available in F but its not. Thats preposterous and really annoying.
There could be an issue with the back-end between AA and QR.

Last edited by anabolism; May 8, 2022 at 9:41 am Reason: fix quote tags
Old May 8, 2022, 12:19 am

You need an Executive Club membership, but that's free. I've also used QF and JL to search, but those can be harder to use (although QF has a nice feature of showing a calendar view).

There could be an issue with the back-end between AA and QR.[/QUOTE]

I sent Twitter messages to both but no replies. The AA ppl on the phone said they will let QR know, but I doubt they ever will.. I'll check out BA thx for the suggestion. Assuming phantom inventory I guess so much for my flying the ex CX 777. Well maybe I could just fly to Male to get it and then getting home from there in J is the same 70K whether I leave from there or Doha. However the plane ride back would be on that same CX 777 where J is a far downgrade from Q Suites.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
Hey everyone, I have a flight on AA domestic transferring to QR in DFW, but only with a 1 hour connection time. It seems worrisome but that's all the availability I could find at the moment as I would have wished to be on an earlier AA flight. Does anyone know if my AA flight is delayed whether there's a chance QR will hold their flight for me since it's booked as one award ticket with AA miles? Otherwise, who would be responsible for getting me to my destination and what would be the process if anyone is familiar. Just want to know what to do just in case! Thanks!
Old May 13, 2022, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

QR will not normally hold a flght in this situation. AA would be responsible for rebooking you since it would be the one causing the misconnection
jamienbaker and bylin2000 like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:52 am

I am looking to book 3 business class seats from SEA-DEL for march 2023 on QR using AA miles. I was able to snag 2 seats but no more availability is showing. Does Qatar only release 2 business award tickets to AA? Or should I expect more to come later? Any idea when they are released? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by bylin2000
Hey everyone, I have a flight on AA domestic transferring to QR in DFW, but only with a 1 hour connection time. It seems worrisome but that's all the availability I could find at the moment as I would have wished to be on an earlier AA flight.
How far out is your flight? If it's pretty far out, there's a reasonable chance AA will open award space on an earlier flight. Best is to set Expert Flyer awards for as many AA flights as are scheduled that land less than 24 hours before the QR flight leaves. Also check for award space on AS and set EF alerts for AS flights if that's an option. Likewise for AA connecting flights. With an AA international award you can have four flights, so connections are possible (and you can optimize later if space opens up). Also set EF flight schedule alerts for your AA and QR flights. If the schedules change by an hour or more, or the connection tightens, you can ask AA to put you on earlier/different flights, even if those flights don't have award inventory.

Does anyone know if my AA flight is delayed whether there's a chance QR will hold their flight for me since it's booked as one award ticket with AA miles?
Very unlikely, although the QR flight may be delayed.

Otherwise, who would be responsible for getting me to my destination and what would be the process if anyone is familiar. Just want to know what to do just in case! Thanks!
If your AA flight has a day of departure delay before you head to the airport, you can call or Twitter DM AA and ask to be put on an earlier flight. If you're at the airport, an airport agent can do it.
bylin2000 likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:22 am

I have an AAward itinerary coming up the first weekend in June: MSP>ORD>DOH>MLE.

The MSP>ORD leg is in AA economy. All others in QR business. Trivial question but can I use the Priority lane when checking in at MSP?

The ORD>DOH leg is QR724 and is no longer showing as an option when I do a dummy booking. Has been that way for a few weeks now. QR Twitter confirms it’s no longer eligible to book but won’t say anything else. Should I expect a schedule change email soon? I’m less than 20 days out and getting nervous.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:57 am

There is a separate FT thread on this very issue here, but I don't think anyone really knows what's going on: QR 723/724 ORD-DOH-ORD Summer '22 Cancellations

I am in the same situation (my flight not until early August, but not bookable anymore and EF showing all 0's for availability). QR Cargo still shows my flight as operating. I too sent a DM via Twitter and was told my current flights are "confirmed". I guess I will have a keep a close watch on it.

Can you report back here with an update after your trip?
Old May 15, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lizakramer
There is a separate FT thread on this very issue here, but I don't think anyone really knows what's going on:

I am in the same situation (my flight not until early August, but not bookable anymore and EF showing all 0's for availability). QR Cargo still shows my flight as operating. I too sent a DM via Twitter and was told my current flights are "confirmed". I guess I will have a keep a close watch on it.

Can you report back here with an update after your trip?
Thanks for the thread link. Wonder if AA's new JFK>DOH route that launches in June has anything to do with this.

I will report back!
Old May 15, 2022, 5:53 pm

Hey everyone. Got an upcoming flight JFK—>DOH—>MLE (QR704/674). There’s a 1.5 hour layover in DOH and I have been tracking flights. QR704 is habitually late by approx 1 hour. Really nervous about misconnecting and losing a day since QR674 is the last flight of the day.

For example Sat. 05/14 QR704 was an hour late and arrived at 7:44AM local time and QR674 (Sun 05/15) departed at 7:43AM local time. I assume this resulted in a misconnection for those headed to MLE.

Does anyone know what happens if a misconnection occurs? Really don’t want to spend a day in the airport and with Qatar Covid restrictions, don’t think I will be able to enter.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even if the aeroplane is an hour late, you would likely have no problem making the connection

if you should happen to misconnect QR will book you on the next service

I believe that Qatar is allowing visitors again
Old May 15, 2022, 7:39 pm

On the A351, any seat preferences pros and cons of these?

My window choices left are 1K or 7K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.