Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And QR fly ADL-DOH non stop. Try changing by a day
Indeed, but it's not what I'd prefer. Looks like only the non-stop option is available online on the days it operates, even if J space is only available on connecting itineraries those days (this logic doesn't seem to be applied to other Australian cities with non-stops). As it stands, the non-stop was operating on a different day when I booked my flight and has since changed to the same day I'm traveling but as I said, I'm not interested in that one. I'm content with what I have and have patience; should something open up, I'll give AA a call.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SOCguy
Indeed, but it's not what I'd prefer. Looks like only the non-stop option is available online on the days it operates, even if J space is only available on connecting itineraries those days (this logic doesn't seem to be applied to other Australian cities with non-stops). As it stands, the non-stop was operating on a different day when I booked my flight and has since changed to the same day I'm traveling but as I said, I'm not interested in that one. I'm content with what I have and have patience; should something open up, I'll give AA a call.
It should be no problem to book ADL-MEL-DOH on a single award if that's what you want.

If aa.com isnt giving you that option, but availability is showing searching each segment separately, then put one segment on hold at aa.com then just call AA to add the other as I mentioned above.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Me too. Grabbed QR operated JFK--DOH-MLE for the last day in July they were offering the JFK flights & an ORD flight in a couple weeks. Trying to work out now which will keep and which will return. Probably a good amount of inventory will be returned the 27th & 28th as folks who held them early finalize their selections.
My tickets I put on hold then were going to be on hold until the 29th so that's when I expect lots of inventory to come back. I ticketed mine so those aren't going back .

Originally Posted by Happy
Again, told me to call back if still no ticket in 24 hours.

eTickets arrived in 1.5 hours.
I find that if everything is set up correctly, the e- tickets will arrive a lot sooner than the 24 hours they tell you or will take.

I called Friday afternoon to ticket. Gave my credit card for taxes and confirmed all info. No emails the rest of that day nor all day Saturday. Saturday evening I received a call from AA and they told me the taxes had been calculated incorrectly when they added a leg so they just needed me to confirm I was ok with the new amount. Once I did that I got my emails with the e-tickets and confirmation of mileage used in under an hour.
njvandy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
My tickets I put on hold then were going to be on hold until the 29th so that's when I expect lots of inventory to come back. I ticketed mine so those aren't going back .

I find that if everything is set up correctly, the e- tickets will arrive a lot sooner than the 24 hours they tell you or will take.

I called Friday afternoon to ticket. Gave my credit card for taxes and confirmed all info. No emails the rest of that day nor all day Saturday. Saturday evening I received a call from AA and they told me the taxes had been calculated incorrectly when they added a leg so they just needed me to confirm I was ok with the new amount. Once I did that I got my emails with the e-tickets and confirmation of mileage used in under an hour.
Is there any reason you cannot ticket online yourself and need to call AA to ticket? Or you prefer to call to ticket instead?

You are exactly right when everything is in order the tickets arrive sooner than the usual 24 hours.

Ours were due to some of the credit card info, i.e. expiration date and CCV have expired - I ticketed it online in the morning of the last hold day when not seeing any new inventory improving the routing. How part of the credit card info expired is beyond me. Agent said the card number. name and address are all there but the date and CCV no longer there - hence the ticketing office could not put it through (presumably after the first agent contacted the ticketing dept which said it would put it in process).

The irony of the above, after several calls to set up the itinerary / ticketing it, I saw inventory on better routing, 2 days later than previous departure date, but only 1 day later on arrival from previous booking, due to the new routing has one less connection, and even let us arrive AMM in the late morning than in the evening. I waited till Sunday to put it on hold then promptly canceled the tickets issued on Friday. I did not want to make the new reservation on Saturday evening when I first discovered the inventory as I did not want to cancel the Friday issued ticket so soon - based on some data posted upthread, that could create some ticketing issue on subsequent replacement reservation. So I waited several hours until it was Sunday then did the necessary things...
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR Seat Assignment -

It looks like RJ site no longer shows the seat assignment function. I dont know if it is because the reservation is still on hold not ticketed yet or not. There is no seat assignment button / bubble / tab whatsoever the whole manage my trip I went through.

Anybody knows any other way(s) to do seat assignment online?

AA Agents seem to be able to assign QR seats (at least for the window ones) based on last week's experience.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I was only able to select seats on the RJ site after my tickets were ticketed. I suspect that the problem is with your tickets still being on hold. I also find Malaysia Airlines website (after ticketing) more reliable for selecting Qatar Airways seats; the seats I'd select through RJ's site didn't always stick.

QR Seat Assignment -

It looks like RJ site no longer shows the seat assignment function. I dont know if it is because the reservation is still on hold not ticketed yet or not. There is no seat assignment button / bubble / tab whatsoever the whole manage my trip I went through.

AA Agents seem to be able to assign QR seats (at least for the window ones) based on last week's experience.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:08 am

QR Seat Assignment -

Happy, you should be able directly on QR's website now. I did two seat selections last week and another this morning.
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:32 am

Happy, you should be able directly on QR's website now. I did two seat selections last week and another this morning.
It's straightforward.

1. Go to "Manage Trips" on QR's site. Enter your PNR and last name.
2. A pop-up box comes up requesting your email address and mobile phone. Enter your info.
3. You'll be in QR's site then for your ticket. There's a banner at the top that says something along the lines of "Your special request could not be processed". No idea what that refers to but you can ignore it. On the right hand side, select "Modify Seat Selection".
4. Should take you directly to your seat map and you complete your selections. QR sends an acknowledgement email with your seat selection.

Easy-peasy, not even 5 minutes. I'm so appreciative they finally fixed this.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for you. Are yours already ticketed?

No neither QR or RJ site does not give me the ability - probably because the ressie is still On Hold not ticketed yet. There is not "Modify Seat Selection" on the reservation screen of ours. I did not check last week's reservation after ticketing because the AA agent already picked the seats for us and I dont mind those selection after checking Seatguru (we do not need the middle seats, prefer the window side). When the reservation was in On Hold status, the function you mentioned did not pop up.

After learned about QR released a bunch of seats, I made the new reservation at wee hour Sunday because I did not want to cancel the agent assisted tickets issued on Friday so soon (on Saturday it would be the next day after ticketing). I also prepare to delay the ticketing on new reservation by a couple of days based on a poster's experiences posted a few pages ago - that he canceled the existing booking and immediately booked the same itinerary but with a name change - the latter caused his new reservation being held up at the partner side, having concern on the rapid cancel / rebook and a name change... It took him numerous calls to AA and over 2 weeks before the new reservation got ticketed. Ours do not have name change, but the itinerary is different, a much better one. May be I am overcautious on this... Since this is straightly a booking made on AA website, I suspect it may not need to ho thru review like those assisted by an agent.... I hope the ticketing would be smooth.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Good for you. Are yours already ticketed?

No neither QR or RJ site does not give me the ability - probably because the ressie is still On Hold not ticketed yet. There is not "Modify Seat Selection" on the reservation screen of ours. I did not check last week's reservation after ticketing because the AA agent already picked the seats for us and I dont mind those selection after checking Seatguru (we do not need the middle seats, prefer the window side). When the reservation was in On Hold status, the function you mentioned did not pop up.

After learned about QR released a bunch of seats, I made the new reservation at wee hour Sunday because I did not want to cancel the agent assisted tickets issued on Friday so soon (on Saturday it would be the next day after ticketing). I also prepare to delay the ticketing on new reservation by a couple of days based on a poster's experiences posted a few pages ago - that he canceled the existing booking and immediately booked the same itinerary but with a name change - the latter caused his new reservation being held up at the partner side, having concern on the rapid cancel / rebook and a name change... It took him numerous calls to AA and over 2 weeks before the new reservation got ticketed. Ours do not have name change, but the itinerary is different, a much better one. May be I am overcautious on this... Since this is straightly a booking made on AA website, I suspect it may not need to ho thru review like those assisted by an agent.... I hope the ticketing would be smooth.
I have QR flight booked (booked about 3 weeks ago) and wasn’t able to select seats until it was ticketed (I couldn’t on RJ or Finnair either). After ticketing, the seat selection became an option on QR and I still change seats online now if I want to. Last week, I made a change to our outbound flight to leave a few days earlier, which took AA about 12 hours to reissue ticket. Agent offered to select seats, but said I would go online and do so myself. I went to QR site and selected new seats. Right now, I have additional reservation but it’s on hold. On the QR site, for reservation on hold, there is no “Modify Seat Selection” under the “Manage Flight”section. But, as soon as I access my ticketed reservation, the “Modify Seat Selection” is there.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:53 pm

More awards opened

Randomly checked my CPT-DOH-PHL to see if any award space opened to JFK and there was surprisingly quite a bit for November that definitely wasn’t there before. Just a heads up in case anybody was looking for some. Other months available too.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Is there any reason you cannot ticket online yourself and need to call AA to ticket? Or you prefer to call to ticket instead?
No, I'd love to be able to complete the booking online. However, for some reason whenever I put QR reservations on hold pending transfer of Marriott points to my AA account it always tells me that I must call an agent to complete the booking. So that's what I do once the miles hit my account which normally happens within 2 or 3 days. I know it's an extra step but certainly worth it. For me, QR awards via AA are currently the most valuable redemptions.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Hi All- I am currently looking to use AA miles for Qatar Airlines flights in Nov/Dec 2022. The desired itinerary can be found on Qatar website, and is TPA-JFK-DOH-MLE and the reverse for return. The TPA-JFK portion is operated by Jet Blue. I've tried all sorts of combinations on the AA site, and cannot get this route to show up. I've also tried individual legs. Some legs will show up as different routes, and have way off point values and fees (for instance, JFK-MLE on 29-NOV shows up as 70K points for business PLUS $1,246..60 in fees, operated by BA).

Am I doing something incorrectly?

I've also tried from the Qatar Airways site, but I cannot see any way to check award availability, and how to use AA points.

And a final question, I see in the American awards table that travel from Contiguous 48 U.S. states & Canada to India Subcontinent (Maldives) is 70K for Business (one way), It this true? (I am getting the impression from this thread that it is not possible)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Hi All- I am currently looking to use AA miles for Qatar Airlines flights in Nov/Dec 2022. The desired itinerary can be found on Qatar website, and is TPA-JFK-DOH-MLE and the reverse for return. The TPA-JFK portion is operated by Jet Blue. I've tried all sorts of combinations on the AA site, and cannot get this route to show up. I've also tried individual legs. Some legs will show up as different routes, and have way off point values and fees (for instance, JFK-MLE on 29-NOV shows up as 70K points for business PLUS $1,246..60 in fees, operated by BA).

Am I doing something incorrectly?

I've also tried from the Qatar Airways site, but I cannot see any way to check award availability, and how to use AA points.

And a final question, I see in the American awards table that travel from Contiguous 48 U.S. states & Canada to India Subcontinent (Maldives) is 70K for Business (one way), It this true? (I am getting the impression from this thread that it is not possible)
QR has blocked out most/all award availability because of the World Cup - they fully expect to sell all those seats. You'll be VERY hard-pressed to find ANYTHING on QR/via Doha in that timeframe, unfortunately. Early October/late December MIGHT be doable, but htat's probably all been snagged up by now, too. It showing on QR doesn't mean anything, as that doesn't reflect what's available to partners.

BA charges high fees, that's an unfortunate fact of life as well.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Thank you- Very helpful information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.