Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
Was it coach or business? If business, care to spend a minute on AA.com to put in your routing and see if J awards are available? I think all signs point to QR not immediately putting awards back upon cancellation (if at all), but would be good to have a one-off data point.

And yes, for sure you should get the $$$ back in addition to the miles.
Not the OP. But I’ve seen J and Y awards that I canceled show back up as available. Granted I didn’t recheck all of them but a few I’ve seen.

MIA - DOH J
DOH - I AH J
DOH - CDG Y

All booked and canceled in Feb/Mar
Old Mar 12, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
On the outbound you'll have access to the QR Silver Business Lounge by virtue of your AA PLT status.

On the return you'll have access to the nicer QR Al-Mourjan Business Lounge by virtue of your DOH-ORD flight in business class.
Thanks
Good news changed my return by one day - was able J for all 4 legs
Outbound put on hold OMA/LAX/DOH/MLE all in J - does the LAX- DOH fly east or west?
We land at 11:20 pm in DOH, booked on the 7:45 am, I think there’s a flight at 2am if we keep our luggage would we be able to standby?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Thanks
Outbound put on hold OMA/LAX/DOH/MLE all in J - does the LAX- DOH fly east or west?
We land at 11:20 pm in DOH, booked on the 7:45 am, I think there’s a flight at 2am if we keep our luggage would we be able to standby?
I researched this on some QR flights last year. ​​​​​​Highly, highly, highly unlikely you'll be able to standby. Plan to fly the flights you're ticketed on. You could always ask at the transfer desk, but especially on an AA award ticket the chances are basically zero-ish.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:08 pm

Thanks
In terminal hotel is decent. I recommend grabbing a room and getting some sleep before your big arrival.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
East.

Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I’ve been checking every day, kind of rather go mid February.
Here is fun route I found in J
OMA-SEA land 4:41
SEA-DOA leave. 4:40 - that’s right 23 hours and 59 minutes in Seattle
then on to MLE
brodielayne likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:29 pm

Hi all. Just made a booking and need to fly to MLE in march '23. How do the point bookable seats for qsuites work. Is there a certain time they release. or is it completely random. I understand they arent out yet as only it seems like Feb 8th is the lastest day i can book and even tho im not seeing any qsuites availability. im willing to fly from SFO and JFK. Any and all help would be nice.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Through fares on QR awards

I vaguely remember AA awards require the existence of published through fare on a routing to be one award. Else it breaks into 2 awards.

Can someone show me the way to check whether MIA-DCA can be added to IAD-DOH-CAI? The latter is readily bookable on AA online. MIA-DOH-CAI too, is eligible routing. (I suspect all US gateways are eligible). Unfortunately the date(s) I need, only IAD has availability, probably due to this route still flies the very old 77L config, versus other routes all fly the Q Suite config.

I would like to know whether the MIA-DCA IAD-DOH-CAI can be one award or breaks into two. If it is the latter, then we would opt to spend a couple days at DC versus just an overnight connection.

Appreciate inputs from this forum.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Happy
I vaguely remember AA awards require the existence of published through fare on a routing to be one award. Else it breaks into 2 awards.

Can someone show me the way to check whether MIA-DCA can be added to IAD-DOH-CAI? The latter is readily bookable on AA online. MIA-DOH-CAI too, is eligible routing. (I suspect all US gateways are eligible). Unfortunately the date(s) I need, only IAD has availability, probably due to this route still flies the very old 77L config, versus other routes all fly the Q Suite config.

I would like to know whether the MIA-DCA IAD-DOH-CAI can be one award or breaks into two. If it is the latter, then we would opt to spend a couple days at DC versus just an overnight connection.

Appreciate inputs from this forum.
You're going about this all wrong. Try to book it first, then worry about whether there's a through fare or not later, if and only if you run into any issues.

I would put IAD-DOH-CAI on hold at aa.com, then call AA and ask to add the MIA-DCA segment and see if they can combine it into a single award.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're going about this all wrong. Try to book it first, then worry about whether there's a through fare or not later, if and only if you run into any issues.

I would put IAD-DOH-CAI on hold at aa.com, then call AA and ask to add the MIA-DCA segment and see if they can combine it into a single award.
OK. Will try that.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:38 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Does Qatar QMiles availability match what AAdvantage can book? Looking at some F awards and AA saying they can't see them, despite showing on QR.com

Last edited by m0hamed; Mar 18, 2022 at 5:44 am
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:42 am

No. It needs to be available on AA
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SMVSH
Hi all. Just made a booking and need to fly to MLE in march '23. How do the point bookable seats for qsuites work. Is there a certain time they release. or is it completely random. I understand they arent out yet as only it seems like Feb 8th is the lastest day i can book and even tho im not seeing any qsuites availability. im willing to fly from SFO and JFK. Any and all help would be nice.
I don't know what you mean by "Just made a booking and need to fly to MLE in march '23". If you already booked flights, then what is your question? Also, stating "im willing to fly from SFO and JFK" shows low flexibility on your part. If you find award availability, great, but if you don't, there might be availability from other QR U.S. airports. Finally, award inventory is for a cabin (e.g.., business class). QR may or may not operate a flight with Qsuite, and is likely to change configurations fairly often.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
I don't know what you mean by "Just made a booking and need to fly to MLE in march '23". If you already booked flights, then what is your question? Also, stating "im willing to fly from SFO and JFK" shows low flexibility on your part. If you find award availability, great, but if you don't, there might be availability from other QR U.S. airports. Finally, award inventory is for a cabin (e.g.., business class). QR may or may not operate a flight with Qsuite, and is likely to change configurations fairly often.
Cannot agree more. QR changes its planes among about 6 or more US gateways very frequently. Unless you are travelling soon enough, for booking 6 or more months down the road, very high chance you get a plane not the same at the time you book. You could try some gateways traditionally have better opp to get A350 assigned for example, so to get a better chance to have QSuites.

A rough guide on the routes published in late 2021 for 2022, ALREADY DO NOT MATCH what are shown currently for 2nd half of 2022, in Multiple Gateways I have checked availability.

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...s-plane-types/

It really boils down to - whether you want to use QR to go where you want to go, or you truly want to be in QSuite (that does not have any assurance.)
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if you're just searching "CAI-XXX" at aa.com (with XXX being your final destination in the US) and expecting aa.com to return any and all possible routings using QR, then you're doing it very wrong.

With pretty much any partner search like this you have to hunt and peck and piece things together one segment at a time. Search just DOH-JFK, then DOH-BOS, then DOH-PHL, and so on until you find something. Then search CAI-DOH on that date to see if that's available too. Rinse and repeat until you can piece together an itinerary.

Just did a dummy search for DOH-ORD, random Tuesday in mid July, on page 2 of the results I found a DOH-IAD-ORD routing availabe in business. Boom, now I know DOH-IAD is available on date X. Then searched CAI-IAD on date X -1 day, and voilą, now I have CAI-DOH-IAD. That was literally the very first random date I picked.
That is exactly what I have done - you do need to be meticulous and check the details on connecting routes when search one single city pair. That is how you would find which US gateways have availability. I have seen MIA-DOH routed thru almost all gateways on various dates except LAX. DFW and YUL both show up once in a 2 weeks time frame. There enough JFK, PHL, BOS, IAD even ATL that has only 4 flights a week, show up as available.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you assuming that there won't be any married-segment-availability issues with QR flights?
Yes and no, while married segment issues are always a possibility with QR, it doesn't change the underlying strategy of having to check each and every possibility for best results.
Agree married segment esp in the past is an issue. However seeing many routings that have domestic connections and also agents can add segment at Origin / Destination in same region without triggering a fare break, I would guess that the married segment issue has much improved to the better, even it may still exist.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 18, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.