Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jennatraveller
Has anyone recently flown into Nairobi with Qatar Airlines?
I saw online on Qatar Airlines website on entry requirement. There is a section with this language:
"Travellers from Brunei, Kuwait, Thailand, and Qatar must meet the following requirements:
  • d) Diplomats, returning Kenyans, holders of valid Kenyan Residence Permits and other nationals, originating their journeys or transiting through the above countries are exempted from quarantine. They are, however, required to self-isolate for seven (7) days upon arrival and report any undue symptoms through the “jitenge” platform.
  • I'm flying from JFK (fully vax), transiting in DOH for 3 hours, fly to NBO. Does it mean I have to self isolate for 7 days? since I'm in the category of other nationals? So confused!
    I didn't use a tour operator - flying to Masai Mara and staying at the camp. Not sure if the camp would know (but I'm asking them too).
This is way OT for this thread, I would ask over in the Africa forum if anyone has experience with the Kenya "self quarantine". Based on the language you posted above you would certainly be a transit pax through Qatar and subject to those restrictions. However most "self quarantine" restrictions are a joke, as they should be as a fully vax'd traveller.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is way OT for this thread, I would ask over in the Africa forum if anyone has experience with the Kenya "self quarantine". Based on the language you posted above you would certainly be a transit pax through Qatar and subject to those restrictions. However most "self quarantine" restrictions are a joke, as they should be as a fully vax'd traveller.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/
Thank You! sorry I don't really know how to move the question. But I got the answer already. they updated the list and took off Qatar.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:08 pm

Separate Classes on Same Itinerary?

Hi All,

I’m new AAdvantage after having won the 1,000,000 mile 49th anniversary grand prize. I’ve been doing a ton of reading the last few weeks.

One question I have is if it’s possible to break up your itinerary into separate classes based on award availability.

i.e., I’ve been looking into flying to the Maldives from BOS in Qsuites.

BOS-DOH-MLE is unavailable in J.

However, BOS-DOH in J and DOH-MLE in Y is available.

Is this possible to do with an agent over the phone?

If so, will it be a combined itinerary? (I.e, I won’t have to collect my bags and recheck in at DOH)

BOS-MLE in J is 70k each way, however, BOS-DOH in J is 70k and DOH-MLE is 15k. What would be the charge for the combined itinerary if I was able to call in and book separate classes for each leg? 85k?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
You can book mixed award itineraries such as RDU-JFK-LHR with RDU-JFK in economy class on a one-class E145 and JFK-LHR in business class online, and the cost is the same as if there was business class available for the whole itinerary.
The situation may be different for itineraries that require you to call in.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
You can book mixed award itineraries such as RDU-JFK-LHR with RDU-JFK in economy class on a one-class E145 and JFK-LHR in business class online, and the cost is the same as if there was business class available for the whole itinerary.
The situation may be different for itineraries that require you to call in.
Thanks for the response. Is there a way to do this online or does I require you to call in always?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by dwhelan5
Thanks for the response. Is there a way to do this online or does I require you to call in always?
As long as AA can display the award availability for all airlines involved, you can book mixed itineraries online.
I believe Qatar is one of the airlines that can’t be booked online.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:47 pm

For QR you have to call in.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:45 am

Congrats on your win!
Old Aug 15, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Been there, done that with QR. It will price at 70k each way, like any other US-Indian Subcontinent business class award. If it prices higher than that for QR flights via DOH, something's wrong. It involves calling unless you search BOS-MLE in Business Class and AA.com returns the result with the note that the cabin you want might be unavailable for some flights. Sometimes it shows the mixed cabin results, sometimes it doesn't.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Headed on a Safari in Tanzania in December for our Honeymoon. Just saw the dreaded schedule change... was originally supposed to do SFO-DOH-JRO in QR J (Dep Dec 10, arr on Dec 12) and everything was shifted to Dec 11 (arr on Dec 13) presumably b/c the DOH-JRO flight got cancelled and the next available one is Dec 13... The issue is we're supposed to start the safari on Dec 12... could use some sage advice since I'm getting a bit nervous..

1) They're still operating the DOH-DAR flight on Dec 12. Given it is a QR change, do you think they would accommodate changing it to SFO-DOH-DAR on Dec 12? (flights from DAR-JRO are only $90 so I'm willing to eat that cost).
2) Since QR moved it, does that mean there's no hope for getting SFO-DOH-anywhere back for Dec 10 departure if no award space is available? Or will they open it back up?
3) Do I have to go through AA on this or any chance that QR can actually take care of it? (I saw they're selling a DOH-DAR-JRO itinerary on their website, but it's also operated by Air Tanzania on the DAR-JRO leg, so I'm thinking fat chance they would accommodate that).
4) Since it's still 3.5 months out, am I better waiting and seeing if there are additional changes, or is this a situation where the sooner the better?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ac737
Headed on a Safari in Tanzania in December for our Honeymoon. Just saw the dreaded schedule change... was originally supposed to do SFO-DOH-JRO in QR J (Dep Dec 10, arr on Dec 12) and everything was shifted to Dec 11 (arr on Dec 13) presumably b/c the DOH-JRO flight got cancelled and the next available one is Dec 13... The issue is we're supposed to start the safari on Dec 12... could use some sage advice since I'm getting a bit nervous..

1) They're still operating the DOH-DAR flight on Dec 12. Given it is a QR change, do you think they would accommodate changing it to SFO-DOH-DAR on Dec 12? (flights from DAR-JRO are only $90 so I'm willing to eat that cost).
2) Since QR moved it, does that mean there's no hope for getting SFO-DOH-anywhere back for Dec 10 departure if no award space is available? Or will they open it back up?
3) Do I have to go through AA on this or any chance that QR can actually take care of it? (I saw they're selling a DOH-DAR-JRO itinerary on their website, but it's also operated by Air Tanzania on the DAR-JRO leg, so I'm thinking fat chance they would accommodate that).
4) Since it's still 3.5 months out, am I better waiting and seeing if there are additional changes, or is this a situation where the sooner the better?
An update - I called AA twice. First one said they can't do anything. Second one, I asked if they could reach out to the OW Liaison and they said that QR won't release anything on the DOH-DAR flight. Any tips from here ?? :/
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
An update - I called AA twice. First one said they can't do anything. Second one, I asked if they could reach out to the OW Liaison and they said that QR won't release anything on the DOH-DAR flight. Any tips from here ?? :/
Pay cash (QR frequently offers very reasonable sale fares on these routes) or watch award space like a hawk... QR as a rule does not budge from whatever their default accommodation option is.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:31 pm

If it were me, I'd cancel the current award tickets at this point and start over. A couple of options:

You don't mention your Award class. But if you're in the Main cabin, it looks like both SFO-DAR and SFO-ZNZ awards are available Dec 8. If departing a couple days earlier is an option, you could spend two nights in DAR or ZNZ before your safari, both easy flights to JRO. Both Main cabin and Business awards are also available SFO-JRO directly on December 8 also, which is a better option IMO than flying into DAR since JRO was your destination anyway. Then spend a couple nights in Arusha pre-safari.

Unfortunately whatever you do, it's a bit of a crap-shoot, because there's still plenty of time for QA to change flight schedules again. They've messed with my flights to JRO several times on tickets I've only had booked a few months. It's almost as if they can't decide what to do with the DOH-JRO route.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:55 pm

why not push all your safari stay back by one day? or just cut one day from one of your lodges

by the way, it's never a good idea to begin an expensive safari trip on the same day you arrive.
one reason is this, another is you may miss your first night if flight delays.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
If it were me, I'd cancel the current award tickets at this point and start over. A couple of options:

You don't mention your Award class. But if you're in the Main cabin, it looks like both SFO-DAR and SFO-ZNZ awards are available Dec 8. If departing a couple days earlier is an option, you could spend two nights in DAR or ZNZ before your safari, both easy flights to JRO. Both Main cabin and Business awards are also available SFO-JRO directly on December 8 also, which is a better option IMO than flying into DAR since JRO was your destination anyway. Then spend a couple nights in Arusha pre-safari.

Unfortunately whatever you do, it's a bit of a crap-shoot, because there's still plenty of time for QA to change flight schedules again. They've messed with my flights to JRO several times on tickets I've only had booked a few months. It's almost as if they can't decide what to do with the DOH-JRO route.
It's J all the way through, so that's a bit trickier. I actually moved it from DOH-NBO to DOH-JRO when that route opened up. In hindsight, maybe I should've just kept it to DOH-NBO.

Originally Posted by gnomey
why not push all your safari stay back by one day? or just cut one day from one of your lodges

by the way, it's never a good idea to begin an expensive safari trip on the same day you arrive.
one reason is this, another is you may miss your first night if flight delays.
It's a good point too. I'm reaching out to the safari people to see if I can move it back a day (at the very least because of exactly what you're saying).

Thanks all for the tips. I'll try them again to see if they might open up DOH-NBO or DOH-ZNZ space, but I won't hold my breath.
aj411 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.