Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm not planning a stop over in DOH.

Can you show me a date where you see US >DOH in J and then DOH>XXX in F that you can ticket online as a single award at 115k (i.e. IAD>DOH>MLE or any other US airport to any other destination in the same region)?
There's an Award example available tomorrow, 4/20, IAD-MLE, for 115K. QR 708 & 672. AA only displays the Award as "Business", but the tip off that the DOH-MLE segment is actually in F, is the 115K miles vice 70K miles. Click through on the details link and you can confirm the respective J & F segments.

They are harder to find now because QR seems to pull/limit the partner award inventory this time of year for late spring & summer flights. But they do exist and crop up from time to time.

Screen shot a couple posts below. (Edit)

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Apr 19, 2023 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On DOH-MLE, there are flights with 1st , business and economy and flights with business and economy. This is not a route where business class is sold as 1st class
The poster said that they wanted to add an "onward leg within the middle east". Those flights are J sold as F (on certain routes).

I'm not sure where MLE got introduced, as MLE isn't in the middle east.
JJeffrey and njvandy like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 19, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm not planning a stop over in DOH.

Can you show me a date where you see US >DOH in J and then DOH>XXX in F that you can ticket online as a single award at 115k (i.e. IAD>DOH>MLE or any other US airport to any other destination in the same region)?

I've tried many different dates and city pairs and cannot pull it up. I can find award available when doing separate searches for each leg but if I put in IAD-MLE into the search I'm only given options in main cabin. Those seats that I see in J and F when searching separate legs don't come up.
Screenshot for the IAD-DOH-MLE flight tomorrow.

friedablass likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Screenshot for the IAD-DOH-MLE flight tomorrow.

Thank you for this. Didn't think of checking so close in, but this is very interesting and extremely difficult to find and pull up as a single award. Like I said, I've seen them show up when searching separate legs (J on transatlantic and F on the onward leg), but not when I put it in as a single trip/award.

Either way, and I made this point above, you can book this exact itinerary IAD>DOH>MLE for 110k if you book them separately because the first leg doesn't have F.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:50 pm

Just an FYI and I don't know if I'm supposed to be posting this somewhere else, but there is QR availability for 70K on Qatar website from SFO-DOH on May 27-31 (I think you could probably call AA to book). Sorry if it's supposed to be posted elsewhere, still getting my bearings on where everything is on here! Hope someone can take advantage of it =)
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:33 am

Same Phantom Issue

Originally Posted by skunker
Anybody else noticing phantom availability for QR on AA.com? I keep seeing availability, I can select it, get to the trip summary screen, but when I click continue it kicks me back and says:
"Choose a different flight or fare
We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available."

But, then it keeps showing the same flights available. I tried calling in and the agent said she could not see any availability for the day I saw even though .com showed 2 seats.
Very frustrating.

Looks like Alaska is showing the same flights available, but BA is not.

I am also having trouble with phantom seats these days.
While I am trying to book ICN - DOH - CAI for next Feb 2024, while most of days indicates that they have 2 business seats availability for DOH - CAI flights, but it shows error when I actually try to purchase it in AA.
Weird thing is that for DOH - CAI, it is also available on BA & AS as well. (It goes until final stage of booking with them also)
So I have tried calling/chatting AA, but they say there is no business (or so-called first class) available for DOH-CAI on Feb...

Can anyone confirm if it is indeed phantom awards that I cannot book?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you checking for ICN-CAI or ICN-DOH and then DOH-CAi - if the latter then it could just be married segment availability and although they are available standalone, not available for a through booking
jonchoi89 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:11 am

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the reply
I am trying to make reservation on 'ICN-CAI' basis and showing available as well on AA.
However, I just found out that on Alaska award search system shows as below...
Main / Partner Business / First Class
35k + $72 / 80k + $72 / 110k + $72

does it mean first class is considered as actual 'first class'?
(I tried to put screenshot, but as I am a newbie, system is not letting me..)
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 2:03 am

DOH-CAI is one of the routes where QR markets its business cabin as 1st and so the agent does need to book in 1st class (Z) but should price it as business

Was the agent looking for business (U) or 1st (Z) ?
Antarius and jonchoi89 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 2:29 am

Thanks again Dave. I have just asked for the business award when I talked to them...
So when I chat (or call), they should be able to book if I clearly tell them as below?
ICN to CAI (via DOH, 1 stop)
ICN 12:25 AM - DOH 5:15 AM (QA flight QR859) - Business (U)
DOH 3:45 PM - CAI 6:30 PM (QA flight QR1307) - 1st (Z)
Old Apr 21, 2023, 2:55 am

something like that shoud work
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:16 am

deleted.

Last edited by erik123; Apr 21, 2023 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:24 pm

I have talked with AA rep just now on the above and they told me that it is not available on their side as well as below.
As I have tried couple other days with them with same result, it is maybe indeed phantom seats..

Agent: Thank you for your patience. I must apologize for the incorrect information previously advised.
I am unable to secure the requested seats on QR1307.
This flight currently only has Economy award seats available.

Myself: DOH 3:45 PM - CAI 6:30 PM (QA flight QR1307 on 2/FEB/2024) - Z CLASS
Does it not have any first class seat?

Agent: This flight currently only has Economy award seats available.
When I attempt to book it, QR sends a message it is no longer available.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jonchoi89
I have talked with AA rep just now on the above and they told me that it is not available on their side as well as below.
As I have tried couple other days with them with same result, it is maybe indeed phantom seats..

Agent: Thank you for your patience. I must apologize for the incorrect information previously advised.
I am unable to secure the requested seats on QR1307.
This flight currently only has Economy award seats available.

Myself: DOH 3:45 PM - CAI 6:30 PM (QA flight QR1307 on 2/FEB/2024) - Z CLASS
Does it not have any first class seat?

Agent: This flight currently only has Economy award seats available.
When I attempt to book it, QR sends a message it is no longer available.
It could be stale inventory. someone could have snagged that last seat and AA.com still thinks it exists.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:55 pm

Are you trying to book that flight standalone or are you trying to book it in conjunction with a flight to Doha?

Standalone, looking on the BA site QR1301 and QR1307 both seem to have 2 x 1st class seats available and QR1303 has 1 x 1st class seat available

If looking for it when connected to from another flight, you need to search end to end since availability for connections could be very different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.