Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Short check / checking baggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Short Checking" Checked Baggage to Point Previous Than Destination
Short-checking baggage - e.g. flying DCA-DFW-LAX, but desiring to recover baggage at DFW without a ticketed stopover or mandated "Last In - First Overnight' or other extended connection, may or may not be allowed by check-in agents (most likely not).

Short-checking is easy at a US port of entry if returning to the US from a non-preclearance destination, as one must generally pass immigration, recover checked baggage, pass through customs and re-check baggage st the customs exit bag drop (or ticket counter) to proceed.

AA is concerned about passengers short-checking baggage to bail on an itinerary for various reasons, most importantly "Hidden City - Point Beyond" ticketing (dropping segments to avoid higher pricing, e.g. AUS-DFW-JFK-DFW-AUS bailing at DFW because one lives there and doesn't want to pay the higher price a fortress hub might incur. This thread is the one to read.

On an award ticket, as indicated in the award threads, one may be allowed to drop a segment without penalty. " AA no longer charges to drop the first or last segment of an award, as long as doing so does not change the country of origin or arrival." guv1976.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Short check / checking baggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Heck, RAM checked my bags from BLQ to IAD via CMN with a 20 hour layover that (obviously) involved an overnight connection.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by Mark_Orlando
But it still worries me, since no one is allowed to check in 14 hours before that flight. My luggage is sure to be the first there at 6:05 AM for a flight not scheduled until 7:50 PM. 13 hours and 45 minutes later.
FWIW IB @mad allows baggage check in 24hours before
https://www.iberia.com/es/faqs/gener...t-information/

Most days of the week there is a 1200-1310 MAD-LEI?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Personally, I rarely check bags except when I have a layover long enough so Im leaving the airport. In those cases Im very happy to have the airline keeping my bag instead of lugging it around town. Ive certainly had luggage lost or delayed by airlines, but long layovers are not, in my experience, a particular culprit. For a daytime 14 hour layover, take a change of clothes and whatever you need for a day (or two in case of flight delays) in a carryon backpack.

(But I also travel for three week wintertime trips with a toddler in a rollaboard only.)
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It isnt an overnight connection - the passenger is arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening.

If it was me, I would just have what I need for the day in hand luggage and take advantage of not having to collect , store and then check in again the luggage
Good catch, I started skimming at the hotel part and missed that the arrival is at 6AM local time rather than midnight (US time). Agreed, the easier option is always to leave the bag checked and just carry what you need with you, but whether daytime or overnight flight, I'd be perfectly willing to lobby for getting my bag back at the transit point for a layover that long if I really felt I needed it.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mark_Orlando
Madrid is a terrible place to have a short layover.
I'm sure you are saying that because you must have had a bad experience, but quite frankly, as someone who uses MAD and many other airports very regularly, I have to say that is complete nonsense. MAD is in fact one of the easier airports for short connections in Europe as long as we are talking OW flights (ie stay within T4/T4S) and especially if you are considering options amongst OW hubs (granted, HEL is even easier but it is in fact a lot smaller). Again, I'm not questioning the fact that you must have had a horrible experience to say it, but I wouldn't want people to avoid connecting at MAD as a result of something which I really find at odds with the airport's typical experience.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA to BA - Short checking 1 bag

I have IAH-LAX-LHR-ABV coming up with IAH-LAX on AA and the rest on BA. The layover in LHR is 9.5 hours.

I suspect the answer is no, but is there any way to have one bag terminate in LHR? I would like to carry some beer and bourbon to my family in London; can't take it as a carry on and bags are checked through usually without requiring an intermediary step like Intl arrivals in the US.

Any other thoughts on ways to make this happen?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
While no guarantee I think that this ought to be possible. Just ask the staff at IAH to check one of your bags to London and the other(s) to ABV.

Short checking is not normally permitted to make it harder for people to miss the last leg of a journey intentionally to benefit from lower prices. In your case if you're still checking at least one bag to ABV it should be obvious to the check in staff that you're not in that category.

I've done this before in similar circumstances where I wanted to collect my golf clubs and leave them at the baggage storage in LHR while continuing on to India with no checked luggage. I had no problems.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
While no guarantee I think that this ought to be possible. Just ask the staff at IAH to check one of your bags to London and the other(s) to ABV.

Short checking is not normally permitted to make it harder for people to miss the last leg of a journey intentionally to benefit from lower prices. In your case if you're still checking at least one bag to ABV it should be obvious to the check in staff that you're not in that category.

I've done this before in similar circumstances where I wanted to collect my golf clubs and leave them at the baggage storage in LHR while continuing on to India with no checked luggage. I had no problems.
Thanks. I've got a round trip, so definitely not trying to skip a leg (would be the world's most expensive one way ).

I'll give it a shot. Worst case, i can either schlep it to Abuja and try on the way back or some clients get lucky with presents.
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
They do allow it, but unfortunately it's at the discretion of the agent. If permitted, the agent has to enter the "reason" for the short-check, so you might think of a convincing one LOL

Was thinking since you are talking alcoholic beverages, duty-free might be a good alternative.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
My experience was with BA but hopefully it is a helpful data point. I was refused at EWR to have one bag short-checked to LHR (on an overnight connection) and the other continuing to KBP. While the agent confirmed that short-checking was possible, they stated that all bags must travel to the same destination so either both bags travel to LHR only and I recheck the next day or they travel to the final destination.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
My experience was with BA but hopefully it is a helpful data point. I was refused at EWR to have one bag short-checked to LHR (on an overnight connection) and the other continuing to KBP. While the agent confirmed that short-checking was possible, they stated that all bags must travel to the same destination so either both bags travel to LHR only and I recheck the next day or they travel to the final destination.
Interesting. In the OP's situation this might work quite well with the length of connection. Collect all the luggage at LHR and check one back in for the flight to ABV. This last part is no problem at LHR on BA.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Interesting. In the OP's situation this might work quite well with the length of connection. Collect all the luggage at LHR and check one back in for the flight to ABV. This last part is no problem at LHR on BA.
Then the OP might be stuck holding all of the bags for most of the layover. BA at LHR has some draconian rules about how much before departure time you can check bags, worth a check.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Then the OP might be stuck holding all of the bags for most of the layover. BA at LHR has some draconian rules about how much before departure time you can check bags, worth a check.
Not at LHR. The OP will be able to recheck straightaway.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
This could work. I'd check one suitcase and one box most likely.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I believe they have limitations for overnights, but AFAIK you can drop bags any time of the day of travel. Do you have any links to any further limitations?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've done it a few times with AA at JFK, connecting to WAW on BA. My stated reason? Complete lack of confidence in the ability of the British people to transfer a bag from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 in time to make my flight, despite having at least 4 hours between. Based on many years of prior experience. It was permitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.