Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Short check / checking baggage (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Short Checking" Checked Baggage to Point Previous Than Destination
Short-checking baggage - e.g. flying DCA-DFW-LAX, but desiring to recover baggage at DFW without a ticketed stopover or mandated "Last In - First Overnight' or other extended connection, may or may not be allowed by check-in agents (most likely not).

Short-checking is easy at a US port of entry if returning to the US from a non-preclearance destination, as one must generally pass immigration, recover checked baggage, pass through customs and re-check baggage st the customs exit bag drop (or ticket counter) to proceed.

AA is concerned about passengers short-checking baggage to bail on an itinerary for various reasons, most importantly "Hidden City - Point Beyond" ticketing (dropping segments to avoid higher pricing, e.g. AUS-DFW-JFK-DFW-AUS bailing at DFW because one lives there and doesn't want to pay the higher price a fortress hub might incur. This thread is the one to read.

On an award ticket, as indicated in the award threads, one may be allowed to drop a segment without penalty. " AA no longer charges to drop the first or last segment of an award, as long as doing so does not change the country of origin or arrival." guv1976.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Short check / checking baggage (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Thank you all for kind suggestions.
I will cross my fingers for getting a kind and happy agent upon check in
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by seandr
Thank you all for kind suggestions.
I will cross my fingers for getting a kind and happy agent upon check in
Please post your experience in the unlikely event that you do not get an agent that will accommodate this request.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
If you don't get a cooperative agent, LAX is large enough where you could walk to a different desk and try again.
If they continually refuse, maybe keep a small overnight bag ready to grab some clothes from your larger suitcase as needed.
If they play ball, just shove the bag into the suitcase while you check it..
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Is there a specific written policy on this I could point to? I recently flew RDU-LHR-HKG and had quite a long layover in LHR. Planned to shower in the arrivals lounge, then recheck my bag at BA First checkin, and leave the airport to go meet up with friends.

The Agent in RDU told me short-checking is no longer allowed. I pressed the issue, she continued to say no - luckily my layover was long enough that the system wouldnt let her check it through all the way anyhow, so I didnt have to escalate any further. It would be good to know what the official policy is on this for future reference...
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:51 am

Found this one for thorough check policy, however no luck trying for find the policy for now allowing short-checks.
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You need to plan on AA refusing to short-check and thus having to retrieve and then check in again at NRT. If you can get a short-check, so much the better.

In particular, I would always have the first few days clothing in a carry-on for a journey with multiple transfers and carriers, no matter the short-check situation.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:20 pm

Advise taken, Thanks.
For me the worst case is having to go through immigration and re-check the bag, transfer time is more than enough.

Last edited by seandr; Dec 12, 2019 at 5:21 pm Reason: update text
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OK, I know this thread is a little dusty, but I thought I'd resurrect it. I will be traveling QRO-DFW-CLT and would like to check my bag for the first flight since it's a full 22" bag and the equipment is an E75. However, I would like to have my bag with me on the second flight so I can go straight to my car when I hit CLT. Any recent insights on being allowed to 'short check' bags versus simply removing the tags in DFW are welcome. I'd prefer to short check, just so AA doesn't think that my bag has gone missing.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
OK, I know this thread is a little dusty, but I thought I'd resurrect it. I will be traveling QRO-DFW-CLT and would like to check my bag for the first flight since it's a full 22" bag and the equipment is an E75. However, I would like to have my bag with me on the second flight so I can go straight to my car when I hit CLT. Any recent insights on being allowed to 'short check' bags versus simply removing the tags in DFW are welcome. I'd prefer to short check, just so AA doesn't think that my bag has gone missing.
I'm not sure AA would even know the bag "went missing". Sure it's tagged to CLT but once you collect it at DFW I doubt AA is tracking it to CLT unless you recheck it. I'd just collect the bag at DFW and remove the tag.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm not sure AA would even know the bag "went missing". Sure it's tagged to CLT but once you collect it at DFW I doubt AA is tracking it to CLT unless you recheck it. I'd just collect the bag at DFW and remove the tag.
Just to close the loop - I did not ask for a short check, and collected my bag at DFW. I did receive an email from AA stating that my bag was delayed and coming on a later flight. However, there was no persistent string of emails, so I assume the system concluded that I had my bag.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:46 pm

Short check bag on AA when actually flying 2nd leg?

I'm flying SFO-MIA-BGI (Barbados) with an 11 hour overnight connection in MIA, to avoid the redeye, but still a through fare. I'd like to short-check to MIA so I can have my bags to overnight at an MIA airport area hotel. So this is not a hidden city ticketing situation -- I fully intend (and need!) to fly both legs -- although I guess I have to convince a checkin agent of that. Any experience in this situation, where the desire to keep the bag at the transfer point seems plausible, because of a very long and totally overnight connection?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Starman
I'm flying SFO-MIA-BGI (Barbados) with an 11 hour overnight connection in MIA, to avoid the redeye, but still a through fare. I'd like to short-check to MIA so I can have my bags to overnight at an MIA airport area hotel. So this is not a hidden city ticketing situation -- I fully intend (and need!) to fly both legs -- although I guess I have to convince a checkin agent of that. Any experience in this situation, where the desire to keep the bag at the transfer point seems plausible, because of a very long and totally overnight connection?
Ive done an overnight itinerary - a few years back (DCA-PHL-SJU) with about a 10 hour overnight. Agent gave me the option of short checking the back or tagging it through,
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Short Check Bag

I've got an upcoming flight from BUF to LHR via PHL. It's a single ticket booked on American Airlines, although the PHL - LHR leg is on British Airways. I'll be travelling with some cases that are covered by a Carnet. Thus far, I've been unable to ascertain whether I'll be able to get the carnet stamped in BUF. I'm trying my best to get in touch with the appropriate people, but I'm not having much luck.

Will American Airlines let me short check the baggage should I not be able to get the carnet stamped in BUF? The reason being, that when the CBP agents stamp it in PHL, they'll want to inspect the cases. I'm going to assume AA won't think I'm trying to benefit from hidden city ticketing as it cannot in any world be cheaper to fly BUF - LHR than BUF - PHL....

Also, as an aside, could someone clarify whether I need to have a "Main Cabin" booking for my 1st and 2nd checked bags to be complimentary if I'm a OWS? It isn't clear on this page.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Now this is an interesting question. You could always try at CBP's Buffalo office on Exchange Street. Show them your outbound ticket and maybe they'll sign off the counterfoil?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Buffalo is an international airport and should be able to process the carnet just fine.

OWS gets 2 free bags, regardless of COS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.