Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Flt. 2183 JFK-DCA on 3-class A321T? (to merge)

Flight 2183 today from JFK to DCA (leaving at 2:55 pm) is listed as being on an A321 (Sharklets) plane. The plane is great: a 3-class plane. Main Cabin Extra seats are like international business class, and first class has lie-flat seats. It’s an A321T.

Is this a rare equipment swap or does this flight usually have this great plane?
The plane was apparently used on a Boston-JFK flight before this one.

Thanks.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Dec 16, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Looking at next Saturday, the flight is a 321T as well. I have flown on 321Ts between BOS and JFK a view times over the past couple of years on weekends. Since there are less transcons on the weekend, AA does these quick turns sometimes using the 321T. I've heard of them appearing on LAX-SFO in the past as well for utilization purposes, though have not heard of that happening recently.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Nice! It is indeed being sold as 2-class next Saturday (didn't check beyond), which means that the J seats can be selected as MCE (That is what OP refers to: when they do this, J gets treated like MCE. There are "true" MCE seats, 32 of them IIRC, as well).

Good for DC to get some love - personally I think it would be great for AA to have this aircfaft on the DCA-LAX route full-time, since DL has upped the ante with the lie-flat 757 seats. BOS-SFO is another one that would make sense to me too. Hey AA, there are cities on the East Coast other than NY, ya know?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Nice! It is indeed being sold as 2-class next Saturday (didn't check beyond), which means that the J seats can be selected as MCE (That is what OP refers to: when they do this, J gets treated like MCE. There are "true" MCE seats, 32 of them IIRC, as well).

Good for DC to get some love - personally I think it would be great for AA to have this aircfaft on the DCA-LAX route full-time, since DL has upped the ante with the lie-flat 757 seats. BOS-SFO is another one that would make sense to me too. Hey AA, there are cities on the East Coast other than NY, ya know?
Does AA even fly BOS-SFO anymore?

I don't even want to get my hopes up about seeing those aircraft on DCA-LAX. I flew DCA-LAX in paid F a couple days ago, having purchased my ticket about two days prior to departure. When I booked, there were only two unassigned seats left in F class (one of which I grabbed), which leads me to believe that very few, if any, of the F pax on the flight were upgrades. Perhaps AA could consider using an intl-configured 757 of the route, as 30 premium seats is quite a lot to fill, but 16 seems very easily doable (and perhaps in the future if the 321s are reconfigured with 20 F class seats, that will be the perfect aircraft for the route, assuming that 321s can make it off the runway at DCA fully loaded for a flight to LAX).

I had no complaints about the actual service from the FAs on the flight, as they were young, energetic, and polite. But, the soft product left a lot to be desired as it was treated like any other domestic flight. Our aircraft was an older 738 that did not have the BSI, so obviously no AVOD. We didn't receive noise canceling headphones, and just received the normal F class blanket, and not even a pillow! I remember a couple of years ago, AA would at least give you an international-style pillow and duvet on Transcon flights, but it appears that those have disappeared as well. I would have appreciated a thicker, larger blanket, as I was primarily interested in sleep on this flight, and the aircraft was kept quite cold. It was a breakfast flight, and there were only two entree options. There was NO snack basket offered prior to landing as there should have been, either, as I was awake for the last 60 minutes of the flight and even asked the FA about it.

The flight literally felt like a flight to MIA or any other midcon destination in F. I'm sure the DL experience on this route would absolutely blow AA out of the water. Hearing that DL would have offered me a lie flat bed gives me buyers remorse and now I'm jealous, as I would have loved to have a lie flat bed to sleep in, seeing as that was my goal and I had about three solid hours of it (I had only slept about an hour the night before the flight).

Going for great!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Does AA need a "Plan B" A321T transcon plane?

The 3 class thread got me thinking about AA and their transcon business.

Living in SFO I have had the pleasure of flying AA to JFK quite frequently. The 321T is a great aircraft in business and first, but is really premium heavy relative to DL, B6 and UA. Would it make sense for AA to take some of the other 321's and configure them in a biz/econ model that would look similar to the Int'l 757 fleet? Imagine no first, 20-28 business seats and the rest 120-130 econ? Would this make economic sense? I could see routes making sense to BOS, MIA, PHL, DCA, CLT and ORD from LAX/SFO.

Just a thought, but would love to hear input.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Can a fully loaded A321 with enough fuel for a six hour flight to LAX take off from DCA? The runway might not be long enough for an A321 that heavy.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Can a fully loaded A321 with enough fuel for a six hour flight to LAX take off from DCA? The runway might not be long enough for an A321 that heavy.
If they were to deploy the A321T as currently configured (102 seats total), I don't see why not, seeing as the 738s with 150 seats can make it off just fine. With a denser ~180 seat configuration A321, however, you might be pushing its limits.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA
I think they'll just end up using the 757s for that, where necessary. Already rumors of that for next summer on routes like BOS-LAX, for example. The 757s then get replaced when the A321neos arrive. Big question is what config they get and whether they opt for another premium subfleet for transatlantic or transcon.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
The elimination of First would upset me.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
Imagine no first, 20-28 business seats and the rest 120-130 econ? Would this make economic sense? I could see routes making sense to BOS, MIA, PHL, DCA, CLT and ORD from LAX/SFO.
What's the argument that paid fares will go up enough to offset the greater pitch vs. domestic F in the front cabin?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure it makes sense. LAX/SFO-JFK are lucrative and extremely competitive when it comes to the highest yielding traffic. AA sees value in investing in what it sees as the competitive advantage of a premium-heavy aircraft with 3 cabins on those routes, and related investments in Flagship Lounges, Flagship First dining, etc.

If you look at markets like PHL (which might not exactly lose money with a configuration like you describe) and CLT (which might), there is no reason for them to offer anything more, because they own that market share and don't have to compete for it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:32 pm

Not for the time being. What you describe is exactly what's AA will be doing with 75Ls. I believe the launch is only limited to 3 routes, though.

If Delta keeps growing their domestic Delta One service, I expect AA will continue following (but probably feature it on fewer routes.)
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Does AA even fly BOS-SFO anymore?
No, but if they wanted to build back up the presence at BOS it would be a great route to start with!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
This is good news.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
The 3 class thread got me thinking about AA and their transcon business.

I could see routes making sense to BOS, MIA, PHL, DCA, CLT and ORD from LAX/SFO.

Just a thought, but would love to hear input.
There was a lot of talk that the LAX-MIA route justified something special due to the entertainment industry premium demand and AA ran a decent mix of widebodies for quite a while. Now however they decided to just send nearly hourly 737s due to the total lack of competition. At least LAX-JFK has UA and DL offering a decent product to compete but to Miami the only true competition with a superior premium product is B6 and VX out of Fort Lauderdale. The only thing that will force any airline to upgrade its offering is competition and none of the routes you cite provide any true competition for AA premium customers, thus we can expect to see plenty more brand-new planes with no amenities and tighter pitch. Just look at how they have outfitted the new 737 Max. What an embarrassment for a brand-new plane for the next 25 years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.