Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by TWA884
Before AA acquired the A321Ts, LAX-JFK was served exclusively by three-class 767-200s.
It's too bad the pictures and links don't work in that post anymore. Never flew it.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by A321T
It's too bad the pictures and links don't work in that post anymore. Never flew it.
The link didn't contain pictures but below is a shot of the last F product AA offered on the 767-200s. Note that the seats were reupholstered to blue faux leather from the original lamb-skin type seats.

dw, Fly'nAAgain, jcain and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
The link didn't contain pictures but below is a shot of the last F product AA offered on the 767-200s. Note that the seats were reupholstered to blue faux leather from the original lamb-skin type seats.
The throne seats!!
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
The throne seats!!
I believe there were also called the Captain's seats lol
dw likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It’s really interesting to see that shot and compare the F and J cabins to what’s flying today. But at the same time, it definitely brings back good memories of flying the 767-200s when the inflight product was better and the experience seemed more special than it is today. I remembered I was on a flight once in J and Alec Baldwin was sitting up in F.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
It’s really interesting to see that shot and compare the F and J cabins to what’s flying today. But at the same time, it definitely brings back good memories of flying the 767-200s when the inflight product was better and the experience seemed more special than it is today. I remembered I was on a flight once in J and Alec Baldwin was sitting up in F.
Honestly, I prefer the old F seats with much better catering of the past; flying F truly felt special. Now, even when I fly 77W F to LHR, I get anxious thinking about how nasty the F and J lavatories will get a few hours into the flight and the fact that nothing will be special about the experience, not even the food.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dw
What I will miss is the exceptionally low density of these planes-- quick boarding and deplaning, and rarely any need to gate check carry ons. Presumably some JFK-LAX rotations will end up seeing widebodies (like UA out of EWR), which in itself isn't a bad thing, but there was always something special about the intimate feel of the A321T, even in Y.

I also fully expect for BOS-LAX to revert to standard domestic F equipment once the A321T fleet is reconfigured.
I don’t foresee BOS-LAX reverting back given that the other carriers are generally offering lie flats (DL, B6, UA). There are probably enough customers willing to pay for the space (myself included) so long as the price isn’t absurd.

Ideally they’ll hold the current spring / schedule and bump the frequencies back up to 3-4x a day from the cuts due to the NEA.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

oh, this reminds me of the seats when we flew STL - LGW on TWA 767 around the turn of the century. Lie flat seats didn’t exist back then and that was the biggest plane they operated after they retired the 747’s. But the seats were a bit wider and it was in a one 2 one configuration. My wife and I got the middle two in the first row.

F was bright and cheery, and had great service and food, but the rest of the plane was unreal. J was completely empty and extremely drab looking, and there were only a smattering of people back in economy.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:10 pm
dw

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I don’t foresee BOS-LAX reverting back given that the other carriers are generally offering lie flats (DL, B6, UA). There are probably enough customers willing to pay for the space (myself included) so long as the price isn’t absurd.

Ideally they’ll hold the current spring / schedule and bump the frequencies back up to 3-4x a day from the cuts due to the NEA.
UA is pulling all lie flats out of BOS (yes, even SFO), and DL only does lie flats to LAX, they do regular domestic F to SFO. It seems the dynamics of the BOS market are very different compared to NY.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dw
There must be a lot of slack in the fleet right now so I don’t think it will impact any frequencies. BOS-LAX was 4 or 5 frequencies a day last year, and now it’s down to 2 most days (possibly 3 this spring if the schedule holds).
I hadn't realized there has been such a change. I wonder why they don't step up the JFK-LAX frequencies with the slack. Maybe some are in heavy maintenance. They were running the fleet very tight in 2022/2023. But I believe JFK-LAX frequencies are down from pre-covid. Unless it's a maintenance need (and maybe it is - the retrofit could be timed with a heavy check) AA must be losing money OR can't support the incremental frequency, which isn't a good sign either.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:44 pm
dw

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I hadn't realized there has been such a change. I wonder why they don't step up the JFK-LAX frequencies with the slack. Maybe some are in heavy maintenance. They were running the fleet very tight in 2022/2023. But I believe JFK-LAX frequencies are down from pre-covid. Unless it's a maintenance need (and maybe it is - the retrofit could be timed with a heavy check) AA must be losing money OR can't support the incremental frequency, which isn't a good sign either.
I tend to think that DL has managed to siphon away a fair amount of premium traffic from AA in both NY and LA. (Now whether that’s profitable for DL is another story, especially in LA.)

On JFK-LAX, AA tends to have the cheapest advance purchase J fares these days, which is one reason I keep flying them.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:12 am

If you have an economy ticket on the A321T (either cash or award), is it possible to bid or pay for an upgrade to J / F at check-in? I have a Saturday late night flight that I expect will be pretty empty, so wondering if I can swing a cheap upgrade
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
If you have an economy ticket on the A321T (either cash or award), is it possible to bid or pay for an upgrade to J / F at check-in? I have a Saturday late night flight that I expect will be pretty empty, so wondering if I can swing a cheap upgrade
Don’t have any first hand knowledge about A321T upgrade during check-in, but I often see upgrade offers well in advance while viewing the reservation on website or in app.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
even if i do not see an upgrade offer in the app/desktop at check in time, if i am seeking one from J to F, i'll still go to the airport check in desk and ask and pretty much every time there has been one. but thats always from J to F...so id imagine with standard upgrades it may be more difficult Y to J but again, if one doesnt see it available in advance the worst they could say at the airport is no.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
If you have a few AA miles, I always thought the Y-to-J upgrade on this plane was a sweet spot. It costs the same number of miles + copay as any other domestic flight, and you're getting a lie-flat as opposed to most domestic flights where you just get a slightly larger first class seat. The only downside is it's not guaranteed and you might have gotten the upgrade complementary anyway, though the latter is true if you take advantage of a cash upgrade offer too.
Zacnlinc and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.