Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by joachimm
I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" 270) so I look at those J seats and they just feel cramped to me. Privacy is not an issue, I loved LH F and that feels like communal dining. I watched some more review videos and booked the F seats for all 3 of us because why not.

I'm still looking for F/J availability on NH out of ORD for the same dates and I might switch to that if I can get it. But I'm happy with this option as well, I just need to get something on the books. I hadn't really thought about trying to find JL F, I'll look into that also.

Thanks for your input
Welp they cancelled the 77W flight so now we're in J on a 772 DFW-NRT. Hopefully I can get the +28K/ticket miles back. I also booked 3 $170 one ways today for the same date. So now I'm not sure I can justify using the miles when I have a ridiculously cheap cash ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:26 am
Suspended

If I wanted the G seat that was in-between rows 8 and 9 - would I want 8G or 9G? In other words, I'm trying to make a triangle with two J seats and a G seat.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
If I wanted the G seat that was in-between rows 8 and 9 - would I want 8G or 9G? In other words, I'm trying to make a triangle with two J seats and a G seat.
8G. The rows in 77W J are pretty pretty well aligned between window and center seats, with the center seats offset just very slightly (maybe a couple of inches) behind their respective window seat pairing in the main J cabin. That being said, the seats have a curved privacy divider near the headrest, so someone in either 8J or 9J wouldn't really be able to easily see or converse with anyone in 8G. In my opinion, the added privacy of the window seats far outweighs any benefit if sitting across the aisle from a travel companion in J and F on the 77W.

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Apr 26, 2021 at 6:21 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
8G. The rows in 77W J are pretty pretty well aligned between window and center seats, with the center seats offset just very slightly (maybe a couple of inches) behind their respective window seat pairing in the main J cabin. That being said, the seats have a curved privacy divider near the headrest, so someone in either 8J or 9J wouldn't really be able to easily see or converse with anyone in 8G. In my opinion, the added privacy of the window seats far outweighs any benefit if sitting across the aisle from a travel companion in J and F on the 77W.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks. I would normally definitely agree with you. Alas, it’s my wife, me, and our 3yo (plus lap child toddler) so we wanted to create a bit of a triangle so the 3yo can sit in a window seat but be able to turn and look at a parent. Presumably the best way to accomplish this then is to put 3yo in 8J, parent in 8G, and then other parent (with lap child) in 9J?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott gold,
Newbie here flying on 777-300ER (i don't know the actual abbreviation used here) DFW-HNL with wife and kids. Splurged for F In rows 1 and 2 which I believe is the Flagship seat. My question is does the divider between the two middle seats come down? We have a 10 yr old and wondering if we will be able to assist her or will the person sitting in the window seat across the aisle be better situated to assist if need be. She will probably never need any assitance from us but just making sure. Just give her a fruit and cheese tray and some movies and she will be in heaven.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Thanks. I would normally definitely agree with you. Alas, it’s my wife, me, and our 3yo (plus lap child toddler) so we wanted to create a bit of a triangle so the 3yo can sit in a window seat but be able to turn and look at a parent. Presumably the best way to accomplish this then is to put 3yo in 8J, parent in 8G, and then other parent (with lap child) in 9J?
Sure thing. I'm not confident a 3yo in a window seat will be able to sit forward and turn enough to see either of the neighboring center seats. Perhaps booking three window seat in a row, putting the 3yo in the middle, and letting them know you are both in front of and behind them might be equally assuring? I'm not a parent, and you certainly know best what will work for your family, but I don't really see any advantage to getting a center seat.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by goofydadonmainstreet
Newbie here flying on 777-300ER (i don't know the actual abbreviation used here) DFW-HNL with wife and kids. Splurged for F In rows 1 and 2 which I believe is the Flagship seat. My question is does the divider between the two middle seats come down? We have a 10 yr old and wondering if we will be able to assist her or will the person sitting in the window seat across the aisle be better situated to assist if need be. She will probably never need any assitance from us but just making sure. Just give her a fruit and cheese tray and some movies and she will be in heaven.
Yes. The last time I flew in 77W F, I seem to recall the center divider was down for takeoff and landing and then raised inflight. You should certainly be able to keep it down if you are sitting next to a companion in F.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yes. The last time I flew in 77W F, I seem to recall the center divider was down for takeoff and landing and then raised inflight. You should certainly be able to keep it down if you are sitting next to a companion in F.

-FlyerBeek
Yes, divider must be down for takeoff/landing to my knowledge but you can keep it down the entire flight if you choose. Given the OP will 'own' the seats on both sides of it, it's entirely their choice.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hi all,

First time flying AA on the 77W in F. I have the choice of 2A or 1J. Which is more private/preferred? Thx!
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:38 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hi all,

First time flying AA on the 77W in F. I have the choice of 2A or 1J. Which is more private/preferred? Thx!
I'd go with 2A on the basis that it is further away from the forward galley.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:07 pm

Hi all,

Definitely 2A. The F seats feel a little exposed on the 77W, so sitting in the back of the small cabin makes it feel more private. Also, as S80 notes, it's further/opposite from the F galley and lav.

-FlyerBeek
NWplatinum, SKYEG and S80 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Hi all,

2A is more private but for me personally I'd rather have the storage areas and surfaces to my right. I've sat in 1J and haven't found the galley or lav to be a distraction. Of course, ymmv.
SKYEG and happiest_at_40000 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Definitely 2A. The F seats feel a little exposed on the 77W, so sitting in the back of the small cabin makes it feel more private. Also, as S80 notes, it's further/opposite from the F galley and lav.

-FlyerBeek
Originally Posted by S80
I'd go with 2A on the basis that it is further away from the forward galley.
Originally Posted by ikwia
2A is more private but for me personally I'd rather have the storage areas and surfaces to my right. I've sat in 1J and haven't found the galley or lav to be a distraction. Of course, ymmv.
Thanks for your help! I took 2A for the slight bit of extra privacy.
S80 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia
Late to the convo on this one and looks like the poster took 2A but just had to echo your thoughts. I have to have the table, work area, place for drink on my right. To most its not a huge deal but for me it is. Always take the right side on reverse herringbone & the left side on staggered seats (unless rear facing then right side).

Was just reading a review of Azul and the new seats on the A330-900 and its the first time I have ever seen a reverse herringbone seat with the table not on the window side. I guess its technically not a true RH seat but every other row is angled towards the window with the other row more aisle exposed. Its the same idea as Polaris but with Polaris the window is straight and the closer to the aisle one is angled.

At any rate, my point is I always take right side on RH but on Azul I'll have to make a note to take the left side......
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum
So I have a dilemma.....2G or 4J ??

Let me first say I would take AA F over AA J any day. I dont care that the seat is exposed, i love that it is a little wider, far longer & an ottoman not a foot well. I enjoy the swivel and like the 3 windows. That said I love 4J. Its my go to seat. Mini cabin is great, extra window over Row 3 and not right up near the curtain and FA's passing through.. And I hate being near the lavs but have never once had an issue with it at Row 4 since they arent right smack behind the seat.

At any rate, all 4 window seats are taken so its 2G or 4J.

This is for JFK-MIA with F & J being sold both as J (or F I guess technically).

I know its a short flight and either way will be good but do I go for the extra space and slightly more wider/comfy seat or do I take my go to J seat and have some windows?

So hoping whoever is in 2J cancels their ticket, or any of the windows but 2J is my go to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.