Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:25 pm

Yes, call and get on the list. Within your status group, priority is based on time of request.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by gmoney90
Lowly Gold with a question.

I am flying LAX to AKL in Nov. Hoping to upgrade using miles + Pay. I have an alert set with Expert Flyer for C fare availability.

In the meantime, is there any value to me calling AA to get on a waitlist for the upgrade? I've tried to research this on my own but cannot seem to get a clear and final answer. Thanks.
Yes. You should call. It's possible that they will clear upgrades without opening up C inventory
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:41 pm

Thanks. I made the call. Should have asked sooner.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I'm talking international biz or F. You aren't going to see a flood of people buying them 24 hours out. But your other scenarios make sense.
So am I. Just about all of my flying is international and I bought an international J ticket about 5 hours out just last July. I'm sure there aren't a "flood" of people doing that, but I'm sure it happens plenty. (Especially by people with AAirpass.)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:10 pm

Question Miles & Payment Upgrade - Help Needed

I'm due to fly MAN-LHR-JFK-AUS in a couple of weeks time and wanted to upgrade to J/F using miles.

I called AA around three months ago; the JFK-AUS leg was available, so I had that confirmed and the miles were deducted. At the time, the agent said that payment wouldn't be taken or the itinerary re-ticketed until the TATL leg cleared (it apparently wasn't available at the time) in "a few days time". A few weeks passed, heard nothing, so I called again; the agent said that I was still on a waitlist and that it would clear in a "few days".

Fast forward to last Monday, when I got an email confirming my upgrade on the JFK-AUS flight. I was surprised to see that the ticket had been reissued with no sign of the TATL upgrade. I called again tonight to query this, only to be told that I was still on a waitlist and that it will clear in a "few days" :roll eyes:

What are the chances of this upgrade ever actually clearing? I don't want to end up in Economy, so if I book a seat in MCE, will it be refunded if/when the upgrade clears?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Did they charge you the miles and co-pay for the TATL upgrade award or just a domestic one? If the former you will need to get the amounts reduced if the TATL flight doesn't clear; if the latter if the TATL flight does open up you will need to get the first award removed and a new one issued, without losing availability. Either way a nuisance. I suppose AA could set up an automated routine to handle this but to my knowledge they have not. In a similar situation I would:
  • Waitlist the TATL upgrade
  • Set an EF alert for C class
  • Process (or waitlist) the domestic flight upgrade only after the TATL one cleared

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Sep 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Your JFK/AUS flight may have cleared using 500 mile upgrade stickers, not miles/copay. Be sure to keep an eye on that. Or, if you are on a full fare econ ticket, it would just be 5000 miles. However, since a copay was mentioned, I'm guessing that isn't the case.

If LHR/JFK never clears, just make sure you are deducted the appropriate amount of stickers or miles depending on your situation.

If LHR/JFK does clear, again, just make sure you are not double charged anywhere.

EF access would be very useful to you to see what's going on here.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thank you both for your advice.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Did they charge you the miles and co-pay for the TATL upgrade award or just a domestic one? If the former you will need to get the amounts reduced if the TATL flight doesn't clear; if the latter if the TATL flight does open up you will need to get the first award removed and a new one issued, without losing availability. Either way a nuisance. I suppose AA could set up an automated routine to handle this but to my knowledge they have not. In a similar situation I would:
  • Waitlist the TATL upgrade
  • Set and EF alert for C class
  • Process (or waitlist) the domestic flight upgrade only after the TATL one cleared
The only charges so far are 15,000 miles plus $75 for the domestic upgrade. So my current situation is confirmed and paid for F and waitlist for the TATL upgrade.

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Your JFK/AUS flight may have cleared using 500 mile upgrade stickers, not miles/copay. Be sure to keep an eye on that. Or, if you are on a full fare econ ticket, it would just be 5000 miles. However, since a copay was mentioned, I'm guessing that isn't the case.

If LHR/JFK never clears, just make sure you are deducted the appropriate amount of stickers or miles depending on your situation.

If LHR/JFK does clear, again, just make sure you are not double charged anywhere.

EF access would be very useful to you to see what's going on here.
Never usedExpert Flyer before, is it a subscription only site?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Y29M
Thank you both for your advice.

The only charges so far are 15,000 miles plus $75 for the domestic upgrade. So my current situation is confirmed and paid for F and waitlist for the TATL upgrade.

Never usedExpert Flyer before, is it a subscription only site?
Yes subscription
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Y29M
I'm due to fly MAN-LHR-JFK-AUS in a couple of weeks time and wanted to upgrade to J/F using miles. <snip>
Your JFK/AUS flight may have cleared using 500 mile upgrade stickers, not miles/copay.
Not quite accurate. No way sticker upgrades cleared "a couple of weeks out" for anyone. The EXP window is 100 hours. But OP later confirmed is was a domestic M+CP upgrade taken so far. If C opens on the TATL, they will need to redeposit the domestic award and take out the International. Hopefully agents will not charge a redeposit fee for the 15K and will manually only charge the co-pay difference ($275).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've never had a domestic portion clear while the international was waitlisted. I've done M+CP many times and I've never once seen it clear unless it all cleared.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I've never had a domestic portion clear while the international was waitlisted. I've done M+CP many times and I've never once seen it clear unless it all cleared.
That would be because the agent listed it that way - ONLY officially wait-listing the INTL segments. (Perhaps with a PNR note to clear domestic connections if possible when INTL clears.) This is usually how it is done.

But on a recent Australia trip I specifically asked the agent to clear a domestic award for my domestic connections knowing full well that the LAX-SYD flight probably would not clear until 48 hours at best and by then the domestics would be A0. (They in fact all went F0 a week out.) They assured me as EXP the domestic award could be reinstated and the INTL award taken out with no redeposit fees since I'm EXP and that they would only charge the difference in co-pay. Never got to find out (happily) if it all worked out since I had to cancel 30 hours out and LAX-SYD never had cleared. So I only lost the $75 co-pay (x2) rather than $350 (x2)!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:21 pm

M + CP request - credit card changed

A while ago I called and requested a miles + CP for my partner and I on an ORD to CDG direct flight. We were wait listed as expected and I currently have gold status.

During this time citi converted their aadvantage credit cards from visa to mastercard and my credit card number changed. I called to ask them to update the cc number on the request and they said they couldn't due to system limitations. The agent went on to explain that it shouldn't matter or prevent us from being upgraded - they would just ask us for a new cc number when they process the upgrade. Has anyone else had experience with this? If they clear the upgrade is it auto processed? I just want to verify that we aren't at risk of losing the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:14 am

Question about Upgrade Award (to merge)

Hello,

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I have a flight booked next month to Costa Rica and paid for an Economy ticket. I was looking at upgrading as it looks like there is space available, but my question is this. Will the ticket still earn miles and EQM based on economy or will it become a full award ticket and earn nothing?

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by shaunw17
Hello,

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I have a flight booked next month to Costa Rica and paid for an Economy ticket. I was looking at upgrading as it looks like there is space available, but my question is this. Will the ticket still earn miles and EQM based on economy or will it become a full award ticket and earn nothing?

Thanks!
Based on what paid. So the economy EQM and RDM tables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.