Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
<redacted>

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make, but it doesn't seem to be a response to the point I am making. Of course seat benefits, baggage, boarding order etc is tied to the same reservation. What I am getting at is those benefits are forced to be dropped because to use the 500 mile benefits you can't have more than 2 people on your reservation.

Please point to me on this page where there is any indication that to use the 500 mile upgrade benefits you lose the extension of the other benefits (MCE, boarding, etc) for people on your reservation beyond 1 guest because you have to split the others off. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp It states several times about how benefits extend to others on your reservations, but nothing about how if more than 1 other person on a reservation you have to then forgo the clearly stated and advertised 500 mile benefits.

And on this page, please show me where it states that you have to split off all but you and 1 guest on a reservation to request upgrades. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
Worse, they state several times about how you can upgrade any guest on any reservation on your flight, just call and link them to make the request! And they have a section that states "more people are in your reservation", that again, fails to state anywhere anything about a policy that to request upgrades everyone beyond 1 guest has to be split into another reservation (that section, just talks about award tickets, btw, and not about 'more people on your reservation").

What benefits are you talking about? You CAN make a 500 mile upgrade for a business associate on the same flight who is on "the same or different reservation" Stated clearly here several times https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp What other benefits do you have that are devalued when other people are using another guests status (a few more people ahead of you in boarding?) ?

What I am talking about is when you have 7 people on the reservation, you have to give up your status benefits for 5 of them in order to take advantage of 500 mile upgrade benefits, because you have to split the reservation ( As javabytes correctly points out, you should do this last minute and cross your fingers that no equipment changes, IRROPs, etc happens that forces seat-reassignments; but they still lose boarding order, baggage allowances, etc. benefits tied to you)

What this hurts is families. I have a family of three. I have to forgo benefits for my wife in order to hope to upgrade for me and my kid (not even any guarantee, just to be in the game!). In the past, this has worked a few times as intended (i.e. her seat assignment in MCE held, while me and the kid were upgraded). Othertimes, this works terribly, where during an IRROPs my wife is rebooked either on an entirely different flight, or gets stuck in row 33 middle sea. I've lost the number of times I've had tiffs with a check in desk agent who after checking us all in tells us she has to charge for our bags, because the agent is still looking under my wife's reservation number, and I have to explicitly direct them to change the reservation they are checking bags under to me. Once, the agent was very nasty about telling us to pay and wouldn't listen for like 5 minutes of arguing about how I do indeed have free bags and she just needs to pull me back up in the system.

Anyways, back to my point, I find this aspect of AAdvantage to be VERY s**tty and deceptive. You should be able to have a reservation for your whole family and request you and 1 companion's upgrade within that, without splitting reservations.
Just because you don’t like people responding to you with how the program works along with pointing out that other airlines operate in a similar manner does not make a person an apologist of any type.

It’s clear you don’t like how the program works but don’t take your anger out on others. Or better yet, don’t post on a public website and then not expect others to respond.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2022 at 12:04 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The temperature is getting a bit high in this thread. Name-calling has been edited, and further name-calling or other posting behaviors prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules will result in summary deletions, even possible suspensions.

Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
What benefits are you talking about? You CAN make a 500 mile upgrade for a business associate on the same flight who is on "the same or different reservation" Stated clearly here several times https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp What other benefits do you have that are devalued when other people are using another guests status (a few more people ahead of you in boarding?)
Baggage allowances, seat assignments, boarding priority, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Just because you don’t like people responding to you with how the program works along with pointing out that other airlines operate in a similar manner does not make a person an apologist of any type.

It’s clear you don’t like how the program works but don’t take your anger out on others. Or better yet, don’t post on a public website and then not expect others to respond.
To be frank, I have no idea (still) with what your point was. And it's not that I don't "like how the program works", its that I think this very specific aspect of the program is deceptively hidden in all of AA's marketing about benefits. Plenty of opportunities for them to make it clear that you can't have 500 mile upgrades when you have more than 2 people on a reservation. And/or to make clear that the benefits for 'up to 8 people on the same reservation" (and similar) are null and void for all but you+1 if you want placed on the upgrade list.
And, I think this hidden rule is also very very lame.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Baggage allowances, seat assignments, boarding priority, etc.
If we are talking about people pooling on the same reservation, then,

Their Baggage allowances -- doesn't affect you (actually, may help you to have more of other people's bags checked)
seat assignments -- likely doesn't affect you (unless someone snagged the exact seat you wanted in MCE before you? We all know that half of MCE seats are given at boarding to Group 9. Anyone can pay to take that space too.)
boarding priority -- A few more people in front of you in line doesn't really affect you.

What this does affect is the Exec Plat (that earned their status with the advertised benefits) who realize when they travel with their family, they have 'choose' benefits.

For me, this is more than half of my trips of playing a game of do we risk splitting up the reservation (and giving up the third person's baggage allowance) vs. hoping for that 20% chance of an upgrade.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 10, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability; removed OT/meta barbs and comments
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Back to the OP's message, I think it was answered in the first reply. This thread has veered off course a bit.
milesandmoremiles likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:24 am

AA Miles + Cash Wait List

Simple question, which I am sure is common, but I couldn't narrow it down using the search feature so please forgive me...

I have a AAdvantage Miles Plus Cash request that has been wait-listed on an American flight from CLT to FCO during the summer. My question is, are upgrade seats constantly being scanned for by the system - or - will the request be applied only within 24 hours of the flight?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by the400kid
Simple question, which I am sure is common, but I couldn't narrow it down using the search feature so please forgive me...

I have a AAdvantage Miles Plus Cash request that has been wait-listed on an American flight from CLT to FCO during the summer. My question is, are upgrade seats constantly being scanned for by the system - or - will the request be applied only within 24 hours of the flight?
Yes, if you're on the waitlist then the system will continuously look for upgrade space, it doesn't wait until 24 hrs.

Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:11 am

Thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be previous responses to the question, but like I said, it wasn't easy to find.

So based on what you said, would I be wasting money by subscribing to Expert Flyer and setting an alert for when a "C" class opens up?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be previous responses to the question, but like I said, it wasn't easy to find.

So based on what you said, would I be wasting money by subscribing to Expert Flyer and setting an alert for when a "C" class opens up?
That is a great question.

At one point in time, it seemed like the expertflyer alerts for C class would come through faster. That is, if you were on an upgrade wait list, you would get notification of C class availability before the auto-upgrade went through. You could then call AA and ask that they push the upgrade through (with various success rates). I haven't seen many of those reports lately, and there have been some indications that the auto-upgrade using SWUs or Cash+Miles is happening as soon as availability opens up.

Where I think expertflyer is the most helpful is determining whether C class is or is likely to become available on a given route before booking. Also, if you don't want to potentially waste an elite choice reward by selecting the SWU upgrades, then you can wait to redeem the elite choice award by checking expertflyer for C class space availability. Its also helpful for using business extra upgrade certificates which require you to be in a higher fare class. You can wait until the C class space opens up, call in to upfare, and then apply the certificate.
_kurt likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
That is a great question.

At one point in time, it seemed like the expertflyer alerts for C class would come through faster. That is, if you were on an upgrade wait list, you would get notification of C class availability before the auto-upgrade went through. You could then call AA and ask that they push the upgrade through (with various success rates). I haven't seen many of those reports lately, and there have been some indications that the auto-upgrade using SWUs or Cash+Miles is happening as soon as availability opens up.

Where I think expertflyer is the most helpful is determining whether C class is or is likely to become available on a given route before booking. Also, if you don't want to potentially waste an elite choice reward by selecting the SWU upgrades, then you can wait to redeem the elite choice award by checking expertflyer for C class space availability. Its also helpful for using business extra upgrade certificates which require you to be in a higher fare class. You can wait until the C class space opens up, call in to upfare, and then apply the certificate.
Excellent points. That said, I think I will pass on Expert Flyer and roll the dice.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:25 am

Keep in mind that C space to major European cities is quite sparse. So to the extend you look at the upgrade as a "maybe positive surprise"...you have the right strategy/approach. If you really want that business class seat you would need to be date flexible and have an expert flyer sub to find that elusive flight and only book your tickets then.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by tramm7
Keep in mind that C space to major European cities is quite sparse. So to the extend you look at the upgrade as a "maybe positive surprise"...you have the right strategy/approach. If you really want that business class seat you would need to be date flexible and have an expert flyer sub to find that elusive flight and only book your tickets then.
My travel date is fixed and I hold out very little hope that I will be upgraded, but if it happens it will be nice.

Question, how far out would C space be automatically processed?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
My travel date is fixed and I hold out very little hope that I will be upgraded, but if it happens it will be nice.

It can be any time between booking and departure.
_kurt likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Well, you haven't really shared much specific about your trip (month and day of week traveling, elite status on AA if any, etc.) but if you do not have elite status on AA I'd say the odds of getting upgraded on just about any route to Rome in the summer of Covid re-opening travel are quit low (certainly not impossible, but not good for sure). This will likely be one of the busiest leisure travel seasons to Europe in many years. Many elites have miles to burn and many are simply paying cash directly for business class.

Regards
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, you haven't really shared much specific about your trip (month and day of week traveling, elite status on AA if any, etc.) but if you do not have elite status on AA I'd say the odds of getting upgraded on just about any route to Rome in the summer of Covid re-opening travel are quit low (certainly not impossible, but not good for sure). This will likely be one of the busiest leisure travel seasons to Europe in many years. Many elites have miles to burn and many are simply paying cash directly for business class.

Regards
Guilty as charged. Gold for life, heading to Rome September 4th. American wanted 400k miles for a one way ticket in business for the flight.

Last edited by the400kid; Mar 21, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.