Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
San Diego Lindbergh Field International Airport (SAN) Aspire Lounge
Terminal 2 East, near Gate 33

Link to SAN AA airport information.

Link to SAN airport web site.

Terminal 2, immediately to the left, before Gate 23

INFORMATION:
This former Airspace Lounge is a contract lounge that accepts Admirals Club members as well as American Express Centurion and Platinum members and certain premium cabin passengers on British Airways, Japan Airlines, and Edelweiss. All staff are contracted employees, there are no longer AA staff (“AAngels”) at the front desk.

Irrespective of travel class or airline, the Aspire Lounge at San Diego Airport is open to all guests departing from terminal 2. Guests at this lounge can enjoy a range of facilities including: free WiFi, complimentary showers, dedicated business areas and facilities and an expansive food and beverage menu. Formerly the Airspace Lounge, this airport lounge allows guests to separate themselves from the busy airport concourse and work, play or simply relax.

HOURS:
The hours and additional information are posted here.

AMENITIES:
  • Additional $10 credit for premium menu items included with every entry (Not available for Admirals Club members. Credit available for AMEX Platinum and Centurion holders. Passengers who access via BA or JL are entitled to two premium items, regardless of price)
  • Unlimited, complimentary soft drinks and light snacks
  • Full bar
  • Unlimited complimentary espresso and cappucino
  • Unlimited complimentary Peet's Coffees & Teas
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Power outlets at every seat
  • Semi-private conference room (Seats up to 6)
  • Complimentary printing
  • Complimentary scanning
  • Complimentary use of shower facility

Photographs
Credit: Swissport

Print Wikipost

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The old SAN AC (before it was remodeled and became an Airspace lounge) was terrible in terms of the space and quality of the offerings, but the employees were great (Marc, Barbara, Debbie, etc.).

I'm not really a fan of the current Airspace lounge and the way it operates, but the lounge space itself is actually quite nice, including decent T2 apron views with floor to ceiling glass. If the whole thing (AC and Airspace lounge) does, indeed, close, perhaps it will be rebranded into something else.

I'm not sure what the future plans are for this space, but I'm fairly certain AA has some high value customers in SAN, so it's hard to imagine the lounge disappearing entirely, although the recent news is certainly disappointing and I suppose yet another casualty of the pandemic.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by metallo
The old SAN AC (before it was remodeled and became an Airspace lounge) was terrible in terms of the space and quality of the offerings, but the employees were great (Marc, Barbara, Debbie, etc.).

I'm not really a fan of the current Airspace lounge and the way it operates, but the lounge space itself is actually quite nice, including decent T2 apron views with floor to ceiling glass. If the whole thing (AC and Airspace lounge) does, indeed, close, perhaps it will be rebranded into something else.

I'm not sure what the future plans are for this space, but I'm fairly certain AA has some high value customers in SAN, so it's hard to imagine the lounge disappearing entirely, although the recent news is certainly disappointing and I suppose yet another casualty of the pandemic.
not just AA, but JAL and BA also use the lounge. I’ve been on a BA flight out of SAN on a high J 747 (14F, 86J plus OWE and OWS) ant the lounge has been absolutely rammed.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
not just AA, but JAL and BA also use the lounge. I’ve been on a BA flight out of SAN on a high J 747 (14F, 86J plus OWE and OWS) ant the lounge has been absolutely rammed.
Agree. I always thought it was funny when they put out the quarter sandwiches ("tea sandwiches") just for the BA flight. And you're definitely right about it being packed at times -- I've been there when the bar has had a single file line snaking way back past the booth-type seating nearby. It could literally be a 15-20 minute wait for a drink. It was sometimes annoyingly crowded to the point that, back when DL allowed SkyClub members to use the lounge when not flying DL, I headed there a few times instead.

Still, plenty of positives about this lounge, and I hope it doesn't go away altogether.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
👍

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, they are open and accepting both Admirals Club and Alaska Lounge memberships like normal.
Great, that’s the answer I needed thank you!

PS: I guess that would also mean the AA agents (as mentioned, Marc, Barb, Deb, Jane, etc, awesome crew) are still manning the Airspace entrance as they process the AC members and OW flights/members (or they still yell “Amex!” Or “Airspace!” into their walkie talkies LOL)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Insiderdude
PS: I guess that would also mean the AA agents (as mentioned, Marc, Barb, Deb, Jane, etc, awesome crew) are still manning the Airspace entrance as they process the AC members and OW flights/members (or they still yell “Amex!” Or “Airspace!” into their walkie talkies LOL)
Sadly, that's not what it means at all The airspace attendants are just able to verify AC membership in their system.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, they are open and accepting both Admirals Club and Alaska Lounge memberships like normal.
They also accept AMEX Plat cards. You get $10 chits/person with AMEX access.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Would majorly suck if this closed...
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Sadly, that's not what it means at all The airspace attendants are just able to verify AC membership in their system.
Pre Covid, the Airspace Lounge had AAngels at the check-in desks not only to check AC member in, but to assist with flight issues (for AA, BA, and JL). Are you saying they're no longer there? No more flight assistance in the Airspace Lounge?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I saw mentioned on Twitter that AA agents have been relocated to SNA. Sounded like the agents might be gone for good. My guess is that's the extent of the changes, as both AS and AA still list the lounge as a partner lounge.

With AS gaining market share in SAN, I wonder if there's a future with AS having a lounge offering (or at least partner with AirSpace Lounge more closely in the same way AA has in the past)
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:03 pm

Interesting .... I'll be there next month and will report back if nobody else has in the meantime.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Closing just as JL is resuming flights and BA is starting to take reservations.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ights-to-tokyo

AA is making it harder and harder to fly them out of SAN.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AAway
Interesting .... I'll be there next month and will report back if nobody else has in the meantime.
Report what? AirSpace is open. It is no longer staffed by AA, and all indications on the ground are there are no plans to do so again. Access rules remain the same IME.
dw and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:14 am
Community Director Emerita

Report what? AirSpace is open. It is no longer staffed by AA, and all indications on the ground are there are no plans to do so again. Access rules remain the same IME.
What are the ways to access the lounge going forward? I currently have the AMEX Plat but are there other ways assuming we can no longer use Admirals Club membership?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What are the ways to access the lounge going forward? I currently have the AMEX Plat but are there other ways assuming we can no longer use Admirals Club membership?
If/when AA terminates access to the lounge for AC members, only other option besides Amex Platinum for AA passengers looks to be pay-in via Swissport website starting at $25.99 per visit.

Does not make any sense to me that AA would do so, however, as AS sends its members there too. That would create an unusual disparity given the lounge arrangements between the two carriers; plus, the volume of AA traffic at SAN certainly warrants a club.

Airspace Lounge
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:17 pm

Well ... you pretty much covered everything, so I guess I won't report anything, unless it contradicts your post (particularly if I'm denied entry as an AC member). This thread in the link below is where I initially caught wind of this club being in jeopardy.

Last edited by AAway; Mar 10, 2021 at 3:20 pm Reason: corrected link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.