Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
If there is no C inventory 3 days out, but 0 business seats are currently filled, is it possible/likely that C will become available at T-24 hrs?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
If there is no C inventory 3 days out, but 0 business seats are currently filled, is it possible/likely that C will become available at T-24 hrs?
Seat maps are at best ancillary information. It's better to see what EF shows for J, D, and I inventory. Since I is the most discounted business bucket, the more of it there is, the better the odds that C will open up, as it indicates RM's view of how business will sell overall. J is full-fare business, so it indicates how many seats are left for sale. It's also good to see how the coach seat map looks, and check Y availability in EF. If a flight is oversold in coach, AA may hold back some J inventory so they have seats to move people to if need be. In that case, a cabin roll might happen. It's also good to have a sense of severe weather elsewhere, as AA may hold back some seats so as to have an option if needed during IRROPS.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Seat maps are at best ancillary information. It's better to see what EF shows for J, D, and I inventory. Since I is the most discounted business bucket, the more of it there is, the better the odds that C will open up, as it indicates RM's view of how business will sell overall. J is full-fare business, so it indicates how many seats are left for sale. It's also good to see how the coach seat map looks, and check Y availability in EF. If a flight is oversold in coach, AA may hold back some J inventory so they have seats to move people to if need be. In that case, a cabin roll might happen. It's also good to have a sense of severe weather elsewhere, as AA may hold back some seats so as to have an option if needed during IRROPS.
So last night there were 7 J and 0 C on the MEX to DFW. This morning there are 7 J and 7 C. 7 J and 6 C on the DFW-DEN leg. So first and upgrades are wide open.

What's a cabin roll and what is the min amount one might pay for a LFBU at checkin with such a low LF? Also isn't the LFBU going to be $ per segment?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
A recent experience GRU-MIA. During on line check in for my AA P/E ticket, I was offered a $500 upgrade to business & accepted. Nice flight other than 20 minutes prior to departing I received AA's notice that my connecting flight was being cancelled for maintenance 12 hours before flight. Real or union related is unknown, but the inbound aircraft left the caribbean on time 5 hours later and should have been able to fly my cancelled flight to MEX.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:25 pm

snagged the MEX-DFW upgrade at checkin for $115, which is better than 15K miles +75+75 change fee...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
snagged the MEX-DFW upgrade at checkin for $115, which is better than 15K miles +75+75 change fee...
You shouldn’t be charged a change fee upgrading, at least you didn’t used to be. I agree though $115 is still better than 15k+$75.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
You shouldn’t be charged a change fee upgrading, at least you didn’t used to be. I agree though $115 is still better than 15k+$75.
Since I'm inside 21 days and have no status I would get hit with it. I should have put in the upgrade request when I bought the ticket (didnt think of it). Could have ended up upgraded both legs for $75 cash and a very small % of my total miles pool.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:34 am

What's a cabin roll
A cabin roll is a casual term for operational upgrades; if one cabin is oversold and more people show up than expected, the airline will upgrade people (usually based on status or fare paid) from the oversold cabin to the next cabin up. In some cases, the airline may have to roll people from business to first, and from premium economy to business, and from coach to premium economy in order to be able to fit everyone on.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
A cabin roll is a casual term for operational upgrades; if one cabin is oversold and more people show up than expected, the airline will upgrade people (usually based on status or fare paid) from the oversold cabin to the next cabin up. In some cases, the airline may have to roll people from business to first, and from premium economy to business, and from coach to premium economy in order to be able to fit everyone on.
That must be what happened on my MEX-DFW flight. As of 3 hours before departure, I was the only seat assigned in J. There was no one on the upgrade waitlist. And lots of seats still available according to EF. Then 1 hour before, J is full except 1 seat so I quickly changed my seat from a window to the remaining aisle ( I prefer Windows only when no one will be sitting in the aisle seat :-) ). Once onboard, every seat in J was filled - and no one had been in the Admirals club with me -another sign they weren't paying for the upgrade?

So are there any documented ways to tell what your "free upgrade" chances are in case of a cabin roll? Of course, I am wondering if I would have been among the lucky 16 if I had not paid for the upgrade at T-24H check-in. I had previously upgraded to MCE, so maybe I would have been on the list?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:47 am

That must be what happened on my MEX-DFW flight. As of 3 hours before departure, I was the only seat assigned in J. There was no one on the upgrade waitlist. And lots of seats still available according to EF. Then 1 hour before, J is full except 1 seat so I quickly changed my seat from a window to the remaining aisle ( I prefer Windows only when no one will be sitting in the aisle seat :-) ). Once onboard, every seat in J was filled - and no one had been in the Admirals club with me -another sign they weren't paying for the upgrade?

So are there any documented ways to tell what your "free upgrade" chances are in case of a cabin roll? Of course, I am wondering if I would have been among the lucky 16 if I had not paid for the upgrade at T-24H check-in. I had previously upgraded to MCE, so maybe I would have been on the list?
That could have been an example of a cabin roll or operational upgrade. A good indication would be if you had checked ExpertFlyer before the flight to see how many Y seats were available for sale: if the number was equal to the number of J seats for sale, or if it was Y0, there's a decent chance Y was oversold. Your chances depend on, first, your booked cabin being oversold, second, more passengers in that cabin showing up than AA expects, third, your status. I don't think AA takes MCE into account for operational upgrade priority, but I am not sure.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I was just checking my upcoming reservations in the app and got a "move to first class for $206" banner at the top of the reservation. Is this a new feature in the app or is this old news? The price seems to be just the fare difference so not really an upgrade offer. My guess though is this is the first step in offering a UA type TOD offer.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chicago747
I was just checking my upcoming reservations in the app and got a "move to first class for $206" banner at the top of the reservation. Is this a new feature in the app or is this old news? The price seems to be just the fare difference so not really an upgrade offer. My guess though is this is the first step in offering a UA type TOD offer.
Yep...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...grades-11.html
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Since I'm inside 21 days and have no status I would get hit with it. I should have put in the upgrade request when I bought the ticket (didnt think of it). Could have ended up upgraded both legs for $75 cash and a very small % of my total miles pool.
That's not a change fee, that's the close in booking fee. I actually had no idea AA charged that for miles+copay upgrades. I thought they only charged that for awards. Learned something new!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
That's not a change fee, that's the close in booking fee. I actually had no idea AA charged that for miles+copay upgrades. I thought they only charged that for awards. Learned something new!
I didn't know either. Seems kinda cheap of them, especially since the C upgrade seats often aren't released until well after the close in period. For a 2 leg flight, most of us would want to ensure that inventory exists on both legs before pulling the trigger...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I didn't know either. Seems kinda cheap of them, especially since the C upgrade seats often aren't released until well after the close in period. For a 2 leg flight, most of us would want to ensure that inventory exists on both legs before pulling the trigger...
As long as you request the upgrade outside of 21 days then the close in booking fee is not charged, regardless of when the upgrade actually clears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.