Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
If you're in F on any international flight, you're off the plane before everyone else.
Many, many of us never see first class on any international flight. Look for me back in Coach. By the time I get to the Immigration line, there is already a long wait.

And, at least in Shanghai, as of late, they have dedicated customs lines for each flight arriving (at least the ones that I have been in during the past year).
And what would Shanghai have to do with any flight where the US Global Entry program apply?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am not GE. Seems like a complete waste of money to give to the FBI for fingerprints, and for, at best, saving a couple of minutes. If you're in F on any international flight, you're off the plane before everyone else. And, at least in Shanghai, as of late, they have dedicated customs lines for each flight arriving (at least the ones that I have been in during the past year).
What does the state of immigration in China have to do with GE? It's only for re-entering the US, so that's irrelevant.

On a recent return mrs. brp waited 1 hour in line in ORD immigration, barely making a flight. We were among the first few from our plane to get there. Guess what - a lot of other planes seemed to get there before we did.

I was through in under 1 minute. $100 for five years of this? My time is easily worth quite a bit more than that

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure that everyone really knows if they are TT or not?
I am totally NOT sure that everyone would know if they are TT or not. In fact, I am very sure that a number of clueless people will attempt to get into the Pre-Check line and will be turned back.

It's all a matter of educating the public about exactly who and under what circs a passenger is Trusted Traveler. It's been in the news, it's available on the web and they have informational brochues available in the airport. I saw the queue monitoring employees handing them out yesterday.

Eventually, word will get out.

Those who find value in the Pre-Check / Trusted Traveler program will make it their business to get "in". Those who don't need it or don't want it or don't want to share personal info will choose not to even try. After a while, most people will know, in advance, if they are TT or not and will self-select to the proper lines.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by brp
First, thanks for a most excellent response.

What's still unclear to me is what one has to do for eligibility. In my AA profile, I checked a box next to "TSA Expedited Screening Program" and it now has a check mark and "Known Traveler." When I read the info on AA.com, it said that that was all that was required. Didn't mention an application process.

Does this mean that I'm eligible/could have proper BPs in the future? I also have GE, and entered my number, but mrs. brp does not as yet.

Cheers.
Here is what I believe to be the situation, based on my own experience, telephone calls to the AA Gold desk and what I have heard in the news.

There are several paths to TT.

What I did: I had already qualified for Global Entry, so I took my TT number from Global Entry and put it in my Aadvantage profile. I am LT Aadvantage Gold. Voila, on Day 3 of the LAX Pre-Check program, my boarding pass scanned OK and I was directed to the Pre-Check line. Hooray.

There are other TT number programs like Nexus, etc. People would do as I did, getting their TT number, entering it their profile and then going on that.

AA sent invitation emails to Plats and Exec Plats (confirmed by a CS rep reading to me from an official bulletin). These folks were invited to opt-in. By opting in, they agreed to have AA information about them shared with the TSA, then approved for TT / Pre-Check.

I do not know what info is shared, but know the person must opt in. I can state for a fact that this LT Gold person (me) did not receive the opt-in invitation email.

From what you wrote, it sounds like Mr BRP is already a TT, but Mrs BRP is not.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I am not GE. Seems like a complete waste of money to give to the FBI for fingerprints, and for, at best, saving a couple of minutes. If you're in F on any international flight, you're off the plane before everyone else. And, at least in Shanghai, as of late, they have dedicated customs lines for each flight arriving (at least the ones that I have been in during the past year).

I am a Known Traveler (TSA Expedited Screening Program invitee, aka Known Passenger), and did not go through any background check, knowingly or unknowingly.
Guess you've never arrived when there are five+ 744s unloading pax.. For moments like that, GE is worth every bit of the $100.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by brp
What does the state of immigration in China have to do with GE? It's only for re-entering the US, so that's irrelevant.

On a recent return mrs. brp waited 1 hour in line in ORD immigration, barely making a flight. We were among the first few from our plane to get there. Guess what - a lot of other planes seemed to get there before we did.

I was through in under 1 minute. $100 for five years of this? My time is easily worth quite a bit more than that

Cheers.
Since I am not a GE member, I wasn't thinking of the way it works. Yes, QUEEN and BRP, you are both correct.

However, upon my last arrival in Los Angeles, from Shanghai, there was no line, either. And I was in J, not F. So about 25 people were ahead of me, and I think that I waited 2 to 3 minutes to go through customs.

However, I now see your point. Perhaps it is worth the money during certain hours and on certain routes.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Guess you've never arrived when there are five+ 744s unloading pax.. For moments like that, GE is worth every bit of the $100.
Touche.
I have not, knock wood... YET! Now I've probably jinxed myself.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

However, I now see your point. Perhaps it is worth the money during certain hours and on certain routes.
Exactly. On a more recent trip, the wait at LAX was about 7 minutes. Since mrs. brp does not yet have GE, I decided to wait with her rather than go through the GE line. Really not a big deal in this case. But the ORD return still sticks in my mind. Me in the FL, mrs. brp in line

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Point of reference?
"Q. What will TSA do as part of the “pre-screening” of participants?
A. For security reasons, TSA cannot provide specifics about screening procedures. Volunteered participant information is used to make an intelligence-driven risk assessment that could allow some travelers to qualify for expedited screening."

While it may not approach the thoroughness of the CBP background check, this passage suggests that the TSA performs some sort of analysis of the person after they opt-in to PreCheck.

Link: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
I was wondering, reading about the last two pages....

Is the TT at LAX (erm do not know the exact normal English word for this), deterministic? Or stochastic like DFW? (Random luck LLL stuff)

It does seem some are implying that turning up at the LAX TT gets you through. (Of course, if you are a TT member)
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
"Q. What will TSA do as part of the “pre-screening” of participants?
A. For security reasons, TSA cannot provide specifics about screening procedures. Volunteered participant information is used to make an intelligence-driven risk assessment that could allow some travelers to qualify for expedited screening."

While it may not approach the thoroughness of the CBP background check, this passage suggests that the TSA performs some sort of analysis of the person after they opt-in to PreCheck.

Link: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm
HIGHLY Doubtful.

Q. How can someone sign up to participate?
A. TSA is testing the TSA Pre✓™ concept for a limited time with a small passenger population. Only those passengers who opt-in will have the opportunity to volunteer to participate at this time.

Participating airlines will permit some of their frequent flyers, based on TSA criteria, to opt-in through the airline’s system. Participating airlines have contacted eligible frequent flyers with an invitation to opt-in. Once the passenger opts in, the airline identifies the individual as a participant when submitting the passenger reservation information to TSA’s Secure Flight system.

TSA Criteria? Again, vague, and hardly a background check of any sort, and more likely a very frequent traveler with the same airline and with a name that doesn't sound suspicious.

Last edited by laxconnorw; Jan 20, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lovexylitol
I was wondering, reading about the last two pages....

Is the TT at LAX (erm do not know the exact normal English word for this), deterministic? Or stochastic like DFW? (Random luck LLL stuff)

It does seem some are implying that turning up at the LAX TT gets you through. (Of course, if you are a TT member)
The difference, as far as I can determine, is that LAX offers a dedicated line to the TDC for PreCheck-qualified travelers, while DFW has no such dedicated line. Regardless of the airport, access to the actual PreCheck line, where the bag and body screening take place, is still, as you would put it, stochastic and dependent on the barcode scan.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
If you're in F on any international flight, you're off the plane before everyone else. And, at least in Shanghai, as of late, they have dedicated customs lines for each flight arriving (at least the ones that I have been in during the past year).
Last 4-5 flights I was in F and arrived in LAX t4 immigration as one of the first three people, and the place was empty. So, GE didn't save me much time in those situations. Plenty of other times I've been one of the first off the plane but T4 was already jammed. GE was a life saver when that happened.

BTW, last few times in Shanghai (most recently in late November) all arriving pax were funneled into a massive queue.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I am totally NOT sure that everyone would know if they are TT or not. In fact, I am very sure that a number of clueless people will attempt to get into the Pre-Check line and will be turned back.
You'd think signs saying "Trusted Travelers" would be better than "Pre Check," since people might think, "Well, I checked in at home so I must be pre-checked."
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
When I got to LAX yesterday, I beelined for 4A as mentioned here for Pre-check, and the lady in the maroon jacket told me to go to 4B. I said I have pre-check, and she said, "I don't care, go to 4B." So I went to 4B, got my LLL, and the guy told me to go back to 4A. I went to 4A, scanned LLL again and went through in about a minute.

So, just ignore the maroon jacket people if you know you have TT.
The lady in the maroon jacket said the same thing to me on Thursday at LAX around 10 a.m. At 4b it showed LLL and the agent just rolled her eyes. I guess I was not the first sent to 4b that day.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by brp
But the ORD return still sticks in my mind. Me in the FL, mrs. brp in line
Beyond doubt, I know it also sticks in Mrs BRP's mind. Will do so for a long, long time.

In response to many others, I have found it impossible to predict the length of the immigration lines. For 20 years, now, I have taken the exact same LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX flights every year.

Sometimes I find the immigration queue packed with people. Sometimes it's almost empty. Same time, same place, same flight. It is totally unpredictable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.