Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
AA and DL each started with the airline's "home" base (DFW for AA; ATL for DL) so it stands to reason that it would be SEA for AS. Perhaps it'll be LAX at the same time (AA got MIA and DFW at the same time) but I don't think any hub will get it before SEA.
Well if AS does get it at SEA there wouldn't be much use for AA to add it there since all of the terminals are connected.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Well if AS does get it at SEA there wouldn't be much use for AA to add it there since all of the terminals are connected.
That's only true if you gain access via GE (and can add it to each of your FF profiles). However, if you obtain TT status through your carrier then which airlines offer it at each station still matters. It also would likely matter for those flying AS on AA flight #s/with AA FF #s (given the escalated level of reciprocity between the two) because a lot of people probably won't even be using their AS info (though not sure how this will work).
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
The line at LAX says Pre-check only, but people without Pre-check keep waiting in that line.
I think it is because many don't know what they have to do, in advance, to qualify for Pre-Check.

"What the heck is this? Oh, well, I'll give it a try."

Educating the public about the existance of Pre-Check and qualifications will be a big job.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The 3-striper at DFW told me that I may need to check with AA and have my profile redone (I'm both EXP invitee and Global Entry) as they (TSA) has made some changes to the program and profiles may be messed up.
Interesting. I'm now 1/4 at LAX... 3 fails in a row. I understand this could just be bad luck, but I haven't heard anybody else have this sort of experience at LAX.

TSA, you are such a tease.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The line at LAX says Pre-check only, but people without Pre-check keep waiting in that line.
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
No, people who were rejected when their BPs were scanned were in the line; there's no way for you or I to know whether they're in the TT program and thought they'd be considered eligible.
This is true. It just seems like the lines have been long the two times I went, so maybe everyone is TT!
The only time I've been at LAX A4 since this started was on Saturday morning 1/21, so that's all I can comment on. But at least at that time on that day:

1. The line did not say Pre-check only. There was a post with a rope dividing the door at A4 in two. On top of that post was the sign that said Pre-check, and it pointed to the left, where no one was in line, and when I tried to go there (because of that sign), I was shooed into the line which (as usual) was snaking along the wall from the right of A4's door. Anyway, since the only line anyone was allowed to go into was to the right of the sign, and the sign pointed only to the left, I don't consider the line itself to be clearly marked Pre-check only.

2. There was no one asking me if I was Pre-check. If I hadn't tried to go to the left (because of that sign), I don't see how anyone (prior to scanning my OLCI-printed boarding pass) could have figured out (without asking me) that I believed myself to be TT.

3. I was the only one of a dozen or more people in front of and behind me who was LLL'd and allowed to go left. I can't believe that all those other people in line were TT's who "randomly" failed to get an LLL. Much more likely they were just people who got in that line because nothing and no one told them not to!

Now, if this has somehow worked differently on other days, please explain. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I think it is because many don't know what they have to do, in advance, to qualify for Pre-Check.

"What the heck is this? Oh, well, I'll give it a try."

Educating the public about the existance of Pre-Check and qualifications will be a big job.
I think part of the issue may be the name. "Pre-check? Well, I checked in at home so I must be pre-checked."

Originally Posted by jbruer
Interesting. I'm now 1/4 at LAX... 3 fails in a row. I understand this could just be bad luck, but I haven't heard anybody else have this sort of experience at LAX.

TSA, you are such a tease.
Sorry to hear this. Were all 4 for entirely domestic itineraries?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

Now, if this has somehow worked differently on other days, please explain. Thanks!
When I went through the morning of 1/19, I saw exactly what you described. To the left was the "Pre-Check" line. To the right was the "regular" line.

There was one man in the Pre-Check line, about five people in the regular line.

I told the airport employees "I believe I qualify for Pre-Check", and they let me go straight into the Pre-Check line. The man in front of me got rejected. He had to go to the end of the regular line, behind the five or so people.

My boarding pass scanned LLL, so I went straight to the expedited Pre-Check screening lane.

I had to wait in line behind exactly one person: the rejected guy. I had the expedited screening lane entirely to myself.

Question: Why would they have space for a Pre-Check queue if they direct everyone over to the regular line first? I believe the Pre-Check queue is specifically there for people who already know they qualify.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I think part of the issue may be the name. "Pre-check? Well, I checked in at home so I must be pre-checked."
I agree. With time, people will learn the difference.

This is a new program and most people don't have a clue.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Another successful LLL trip breezing through MIA security, makes me 4 out of 7.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I went through on Monday of this week at LAX. But this time they had everyone funneled to one line and then when I got to the front, they let me through. I was the only one to go through. It was a great experience.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anabolism
Sorry to hear this. Were all 4 for entirely domestic itineraries?
Yep, all domestic. Will try again next week.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
LAX was a breeze tonight (however, at 8:00p on Thursdays the 4A Priority/First line is almost always only 3-5 people deep). Separate line for "Pre-Check, with nobody in it. As I approached, the "gatekeeper" tried to direct me to the "regular" First Class line, until I mentioned "Pre-Check". Lots of jealous glares as I jumped everyone else in the regular line, and didn't take off my coat, shoes, laptop, liquids, etc.!

Much better experience than MIA, where you go through the regular Priority line until you get to the BP/ID checker (unless they have changed things since I was there 01/12).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by CVCONDE
LAX was a breeze tonight (however, at 8:00p on Thursdays the 4A Priority/First line is almost always only 3-5 people deep). Separate line for "Pre-Check, with nobody in it. As I approached, the "gatekeeper" tried to direct me to the "regular" First Class line, until I mentioned "Pre-Check". Lots of jealous glares as I jumped everyone else in the regular line, and didn't take off my coat, shoes, laptop, liquids, etc.!
+1. Such a nice experience! Just took my cell phone out of my pocket, put it in my backpack, and sailed on through! If only every airport experience was like that!!! Not well marked,though....and no one in the Pre-Check line on the left...

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm Reason: close quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
My LAX experience was excellent on 1/25 (around 10AM). Red coat usher was specifically asking everyone at the top of the escalator if we had pre-check clearance. I wasn't even aware LAX had started the line, so I said "I should" since I had it in my AA profile for DFW and MIA. Went to the left pre-check line, got my BP scanned, TSA agent said all is good and I went through the pre-check line with zero wait.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, UA 1P, HH Gold, HGVC
5 times through at LAX, all five times through the line to the left, all five times cleared LLL. Of course, now that I said that there's no way I'll get the magic LLL next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.