Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
OK, folks, it worked.

I got to LAX this morning and at good ol' room 4a there were two lines. One said TSA pre-check. Since I know I have put my TT number into my AA account, I entered the TSA-precheck line. The other 4A line was for everyone else.

The guy in front of me got rejected. I don't know if he was actually a TT or if he just was clueless. He got sent to the regular line.

Next, me. It scanned and they directed me to the TSA pre-check line. I was the only one there. Shoes on, laptop in bag, it was just like flying in 1990. GREAT!!!

Later, I asked some TSA people I saw during my ORD connection. They said that it's coming to ORD "next month".

It's wonderful. I love it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
OK, folks, it worked.

I got to LAX this morning and at good ol' room 4a there were two lines. One said TSA pre-check. Since I know I have put my TT number into my AA account, I entered the TSA-precheck line. The other 4A line was for everyone else.

The guy in front of me got rejected. I don't know if he was actually a TT or if he just was clueless. He got sent to the regular line.

Next, me. It scanned and they directed me to the TSA pre-check line. I was the only one there. Shoes on, laptop in bag, it was just like flying in 1990. GREAT!!!

Later, I asked some TSA people I saw during my ORD connection. They said that it's coming to ORD "next month".

It's wonderful. I love it.
Sounds nice ^

Just to confirm, the regular area near 4A does have the Chertoff Cancer Boxes?

Keeping my fingers crossed for ORD.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
How would they know who is eligible to enter the dedicated line to have one's BP scanned for the encoding to use the PreCheck screening? Would this involve presenting your CBP ID to the TSA, to allow you to approach the dedicated TDC?
They don't know. You know if you are TT or not.

If you know you are TT, then enter the Pre-Check queue and get your boarding pass scanned. If you pass, then you go to the Pre-Check queue. If you fail, then you go to the regular queue.

If you know you are not TT, then you just start in the regular line.

If you are clueless, you would get rejected at the scanner and be told to go to the back of the regular line. That's what happened to the guy in front of me. I don't think he knew what was required to get TT status.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just to confirm, the regular area near 4A does have the Chertoff Cancer Boxes?
Truthfully, I did not notice. The 4B room looked like it had been enlarged since I was there last time.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
If you are clueless, you would get rejected at the scanner and be told to go to the back of the regular line. That's what happened to the guy in front of me. I don't think he knew what was required to get TT status.
So, if I understand you correctly, you are assuming that this rejection of passengers, and the sending of them to the regular line, will not cause excessive delays in the PreCheck line? This may be true, but I want to confirm what you are saying.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
9Incidentally, you can share my joy at discoverning that my "sticker" upgrade request for tomorrow's flight came through. My tender tush will be cosseted in comfort this time tomorrow.
Wait -- the QueenOfCoach is flying first class? Say it ain't so! I thought you were adamant about flying coach. Wouldn't touch first class with a broken ten-foot rollaboard handle.

Originally Posted by siankaan1
Just came through LAX security, that was Great! Cut to front of ID check, shoes on, headphone in, computer in bag, breezed through dedicated X-ray, as reported NOS gone. Marvelous!
Why did you get to cut to the front of ID check?

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Indeed, as of today there is a desk out in the corridor. Only people who actually get the expedited screening are being directed into 4A. Otherwise you are directed to the next room down the hall (which does have AIT machines).
Did you notice how many people ahead of you were directed to 4B? People traveling together who were split up?

So, now 4A is for those selected for expedited screening, 4B for PA not selected for expedited, and everyone else at the other end (4C?) of T4?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Because the Nexus card has existed considerably longer than the Global Entry card, the likelihood that a TDC would recognize it is considerably higher.
You would think that, wouldn't you?

I actually have the number of the TSA customer service office in DFW programmed into my phone so I can call them on the occasions when my Nexus card is not accepted by the supervisor.

I'm 50/50 at DFW for being accepted/booted from the TT lane, so I gave up on it and prefer to use a checkpoint where I can always avoid the AIT machines. I'll take off my shoes any day to avoid a pat-down.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by anabolism
Did you notice how many people ahead of you were directed to 4B? People traveling together who were split up?
There were six or seven people in front of me. All of them were directed to 4B. There didn't seem to be any issue of splitting up groups, because nobody scanned "LLL." (Even within the Priority AAcess population, I think the percentage who have signed up for Pre-Check is fairly small.)

So, now 4A is for those selected for expedited screening, 4B for PA not selected for expedited, and everyone else at the other end (4C?) of T4?
That was true at noon on Wednesday, but as I said, things were in flux. There were TV news crews there, and I think the setup may have been adjusted for their benefit. Others have reported today (Thursday) that there is once again a non-expedited line inside 4A.

I think it's fair to expect more shifts and adjustments before this settles into any kind of stable protocol.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:38 am

How would they know who is eligible to enter the dedicated line to have one's BP scanned for the encoding to use the PreCheck screening? Would this involve presenting your CBP ID to the TSA, to allow you to approach the dedicated TDC?
When I got to LAX yesterday, I beelined for 4A as mentioned here for Pre-check, and the lady in the maroon jacket told me to go to 4B. I said I have pre-check, and she said, "I don't care, go to 4B." So I went to 4B, got my LLL, and the guy told me to go back to 4A. I went to 4A, scanned LLL again and went through in about a minute.

So, just ignore the maroon jacket people if you know you have TT.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Why did you get to cut to the front of ID check?
When I went through LAX on Wednesday morning, they had a single line at 4A for all PA, and a maroon jacket person asking if you were TT. When I said yes, she directed me to a separate line (no one in it) to the left, which went to the same ID checker and so put me ahead of the regular PA people in line for that checker. She checked my ID and BP before continuing with the PA folks. From there I walked directly to the X-ray on the far south side of the 4A screening area, where a TSA guy said to leave my shoes on and computer in my bag; I walked through the metal detector, and was on my way. It was GREAT!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
When I got to LAX yesterday, I beelined for 4A as mentioned here for Pre-check, and the lady in the maroon jacket told me to go to 4B. I said I have pre-check, and she said, "I don't care, go to 4B." So I went to 4B, got my LLL, and the guy told me to go back to 4A. I went to 4A, scanned LLL again and went through in about a minute.

So, just ignore the maroon jacket people if you know you have TT.
For those of us who don't have LAX's layout memorized, which one is 4A and 4B? Is there a map?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
4a is the one closest to the escalator in the Priority checkin. 4b is towards the regular checkin.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by nall
For those of us who don't have LAX's layout memorized
That needs to be remedied. Go to LAX and study!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:33 pm

I will try to respond to everyone in detail.

Yes, I get free stickers every time I fly 10000 (?) miles. Since the stickers are good ONLY for domestic upgrades, yes, I do use them when I get them, and yes from time to time I fly first class. I don't really care, but this time I got breakfast on the plane rather than having buy something in the airport.

Let's review the layout of the mezzanine level where the TSA checks are located, T4 LAX.

There are two escalators. One at the extreme east end of the hall, one at the middle.

Just past the middle escalator, there is a large multi-lane TSA checkpoint. That checkpoint is always open. To the east of this large multi-lane TSA checkpoint are two small rooms. The room at the extreme east is "4A". The room between the large multi-lane area and 4A is "4B".

In months/years past, the elites went up the middle escalator directly to the multi-lane TSA checkpoint, and were directed to the lane on the far right. The non-elites when up the far east escalator, then queued along the mezzanine to enter the main multi-lane checkpoint. When things got busy, they would open 4A or 4B and take passengers there. When things were not that busy, 4A and 4B stayed closed and everyone (elite and non-elite) went through the large multi-lane checkpoint.

This all changed last year. Now, the east end is the elite check-in area and the west end is the non-elite check-end area. The elites go up the far east escalator and use 4A and 4B. The non-elites go up the middle escalator and use the large multi-lane area. Thus, now, elites have their own dedicated security area. I, personally, have only seen 4A open to elite passengers until yesterday.

OK... now exactly what happened yesterday at the TSA checkpoint:

My flight was at 6:55 am Thursday morning, 1/19. I got to the airport a bit early, about 5:30 or so, but I come from north LA County and I want to give myself plenty of time.

I checked in and went up the escalator to the priority TSA checks (4A & 4B). I followed the walkway from the top of the escalator to 4A. There I saw a "split" queue, with uniformed guards.

To the left was a queue marked TSA Pre-Check. To the left was the main "elite" regular security queue with about five (?) passengers in line.

I approached and said "I believe I qualify for Pre-Check", and they motioned for me to go ahead. There was one man ahead of me in line, getting his boarding pass scanned. They said "Sorry, sir, but it doesn't scan." He had to turn around and go behind the five or so people in the non-Pre-Check line. He looked disgruntled.

Then, it was my turn. I gave them my boarding pass, and they said "OK, you got it." I was allowed to go right to the TSA Pre-check are where I zipped through in a very short time. I just put my stuff on the belt, walked through, picked it up and was on my way.

The queue guards had a supply of brochures explaining TSA Pre-Check, and I assume they were handing them out to anyone who asked.

Is there a way to check for Pre-Check (Trusted Traveler) status BEFORE entering the Pre-Check queue? No. The passenger knows if they are TT or not. If a passenger knows he is not TT and thus ineligible, that passenger should just go straight to the regular queue.

If the passenger knows he is TT and eligible, then he should so state to the employee at the queue as I did. The separation between TT/Pre-check eligible and non-TT/Pre-check eligible is done by the passenger.

Right now, in the early stages, a lot of people won't know what to do. They won't know that they have to be TT and Pre-Check eligible by actively applying for the program and getting Global Entry or other means. A lot will just go through the Pre-Check line and get rejected at the boarding pass scan point.

So, they get a brochure and learn what they have to do, then make a decision.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

KABC (Channel 7) reported that 227 people used the LAX PreCheck/TT lane on its first day (Wednesday).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.