Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I've complained to TSA every time I've seen the pre-check lanes clogged up with people who have no clue.
I was at O'Hare last week, and people were unloading things, taking off shoes, etc., so I just walked in front of them and slid my bags right through. The TSA officer smiled and said something like "glad at least someone knows what to do".
They really need a TSA person standing there and telling people they don't need to take off shoes, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I've complained to TSA every time I've seen the pre-check lanes clogged up with people who have no clue.
I was at O'Hare last week, and people were unloading things, taking off shoes, etc., so I just walked in front of them and slid my bags right through. The TSA officer smiled and said something like "glad at least someone knows what to do".
They really need a TSA person standing there and telling people they don't need to take off shoes, etc.
They used to have the TSA officers remind everyone not to take off shoes and belt at LAX, but after a while, they just stopped. I guess they got tired of doing that.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
They used to have the TSA officers remind everyone not to take off shoes and belt at LAX, but after a while, they just stopped. I guess they got tired of doing that.
In some overseas airports there are video monitors explaining what to do as you're in the security line, explaining it in multiple languages no less.

Video monitors don't get tired explaining the same thing over and over.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Just one data point, but at MIA this morning approx. 07:15 am at least 20 people lined up to even enter the PreCheck lane at security #2. I asked the AA-contracted BP checker and she said that all of them were truly PreCheck.

She pointed me to security #3 and there were just 3 of us there.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Had one this morning @ ABQ doing just that which then turned into a lengthy discussion w/the pax in front of me about the man's belt. They gave him 2 chances @ the WTMD but ended up opening up the NoS since he kept alarming.

Overheard another pax, clearly a kettle, at the gate quizzing the GA as to how/why he got Pre-check & then on the phone w/someone describing the experience as 'kinda scary when you think about it'
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Amb, Honors Gold, SPG Gold
Saw someone last weekend at LAS taking his laptop and liquids out while in the Precheck line. I just watched and let him do it. The less of a difference the average, infrequent traveler sees between Pre and non-Pre, the less likely he will sign up for Pre. And the less likely that the Pre lines will be clogged up in the future. I do believe the current "let everyone into Pre" is just temporary and is the TSA's way of giving people a taste of Pre so they fork over their $85. I have no interest in helping the TSA sell Pre.

Last edited by powerslide; Nov 11, 2013 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I was in Orlando last week going through Pre. As I was walking to the xray machine, a TSA agent stopped me and opened the barrier between Pre and the priority line and let those people into the Pre line. The agent then closed the barrier. As I was going through the metal detector, I looked back and they were doing it again. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of Pre?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Someone bought a ticket for me and didn't use the format I originally went with in the Global Entry/TSA thing.

It wasn't EXAAAAAAACTLY the same and the counter agent couldn't 'fix' it.

When I pulled out my GE card, ID, etc and showed the TSA pre-check hall monitor ........ nope. Had to say 'TSA Pre Check' on the ticket.

The rest didn't mean <redacted>. Is that all it took? A printed line on the boarding pass? I even said to her, while demonstrating the GE card, which has magnetic info and my photo on it, 'then what <redacted> good is this thing?'

I didn't give one damn about who heard me.

_

Last edited by dstan; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm Reason: evasion of FT profanity filters
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by danpass
Someone bought a ticket for me and didn't use the format I originally went with in the Global Entry/TSA thing.

When I pulled out my GE card, ID, etc and showed the TSA pre-check hall monitor ........ nope. Had to say 'TSA Pre Check' on the ticket.

The rest didn't mean <redacted>. I even said to her, while demonstrating the GE card, 'then what <redacted> good is thing?'
I don't think the TSA officers who check your ID and BP are allowed to make that call. It's up to the computers. Someone once told me (I'm sure it's a simplified view) that security is only as good as policy, and removing humans from the equation ensures fewer breaches in security.

Last edited by dstan; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm Reason: updated quote of redacted material
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

For the future, just make sure all tickets purchased by others for you have exact secure flight data..

The rest didn't mean <redacted> I even said to her, while demonstrating the GE card, 'then what <redacted> good is thing?'
Just showing your GE card does not give you access to the PreCheck line. You need to have it on your BP, or have a BP that scans LLL and gives the three beeps.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I don't think the TSA officers who check your ID and BP are allowed to make that call. It's up to the computers.
Correct. If the TSA clerks don't see LLL on the screen/hear the three beeps, etc, then no PreCheck (unless randomly directed into the line).

Last edited by dstan; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm Reason: updated quote of redacted material
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Even when you're eligible for TSA Pre, you're not guaranteed to get it.

The only thing the Global Entry card is good for is getting you back into the US on land from Mexico or Canada. At least that's what I learned in my recent Global Entry interview.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by milkchug
Ever since I activated my Global Entry, I've noticed that I no longer get Pre Check status on my domestic flights have have been 0/20 so far this year. Anyone have any idea what happened or what I need to do to get my Pre Check back?
Any help would be appreciated.
M
Are you a US citizen? If you are not then you are not eligible for PreCheck. Remove your trusted traveler number and it should help you get selected provided AA invited you.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
The rest didn't mean <redacted>. Is that all it took? A printed line on the boarding pass? I even said to her, while demonstrating the GE card, which has magnetic info and my photo on it, 'then what <redacted> good is this thing?'
The card has absolutely zip, zero, nothing to do with PreCheck. Technically, Global Entry doesn't have anything do with PreCheck, at least not directly.

The TSA and DHS have an agreement such that Global Entry members are trusted for the purpose of getting PreCheck as a general rule, but the information including the PASSID and other information has to be in your flight record, which is then submitted to the TSA, which then approves your flight record for PreCheck.

But beyond that agreement, Global Entry and PreCheck have nothing to do with each other, and are actually run by different agencies in the government.

The card is a federal ID that shows that you have Global Entry, which can be used as your ID anytime one is needed such as at TSA checkpoints. It can also be used in place of a passport for the purpose of crossing to Mexico or Canada by land, and at sea ports (such as when returning from a cruise).

By nature of the agreement between DHS and TSA, it does indicate that you should probably qualify for PreCheck, but now that they are printing the indicator on the BPs for the most part, that aspect of it is largely irrelevant.

Your yelling at the person just showed your ignorance of how the program actually works.

Last edited by dstan; Nov 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm Reason: updated quote of redacted material
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by meballard
By nature of the agreement between DHS and TSA, it does indicate that you should probably qualify for PreCheck, but now that they are printing the indicator on the BPs for the most part, that aspect of it is largely irrelevant.
I'm not sure I understand this (bolded) comment. From people I know and from what I have heard, people have a better chance of being selected for PreCheck via Global Entry (it seems the rate is close to 100%). I am currently using PreCheck as a result of my FF status (invited by AA from the pilot), and I am getting PreCheck closer to 70% of the time - I mostly fly single segment round trip flights, and it is not unusual to get PreCheck outbound and not on the return.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'm not sure I understand this (bolded) comment. From people I know and from what I have heard, people have a better chance of being selected for PreCheck via Global Entry (it seems the rate is close to 100%). I am currently using PreCheck as a result of my FF status (invited by AA from the pilot), and I am getting PreCheck closer to 70% of the time - I mostly fly single segment round trip flights, and it is not unusual to get PreCheck outbound and not on the return.
You are correct.

The part you are quoting is in reference to showing the card at TSA checkpoints. I made a point of using my Global Entry as my ID at TSA checkpoints before PreCheck was printed on the BPs to indicate to any line dragon that I should be in the PreCheck line (instead of trying to explain it more throughly, and in cases they weren't actually scanning but only visually checking at that point), but now that it is printed on the BPs, that aspect of using the card is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.