Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Instruction from the uniformed officers would obviously be the best course of action and would expedite the process immensely. Absent that, I'm not going to waste my time trying to aid unreceptive people, I'll just put my bags infront of their stuff on the belt when they're disrobing
Absolutely. At SDF (Louisville) this week, where TSA was apparently redirecting some to the Pre line, the agent manning the front of the belt commented that I'd "won the lottery," then gave brief instructions on what to leave on or in the bag. I didn't tell her I was a "regular" Pre person, but thanked her for the instructions. I noticed at SNA (Orange County) last week floor and wall stickers giving similar bullet point instructions. On the other hand, watching the line at SEA is comical/frustrating.

Originally Posted by hbtr
While disrobing is supposed to be unnecessary, occasionally it may be required. My belt tends to set off the metal detector (even the ones in the Pre line, at least the one at LAX) so now I just take it off every time. I suppose that seeing me do that doesn't set a great example for the newbies in line.
Same with one pair of shoes that I have that were alarming every now and then. I take them off now.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Same with one pair of shoes that I have that were alarming every now and then. I take them off now.
Some WTMD's seem more sensitive than others. My shoes and belt have never set them off once in my FF days since 2003, but my shoes always do at the SEA WTMD pre-lane. So now I just take them off at SEA proactively.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AATrout
They haven't posted the hours yet, unfortunately.
http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ng-airports#16

Let's hope it opens at 0500 like the S Pier, -vs- 0600, the one we've been using + shuttle from N Pier. I'll be down there tomorrow around 1200 to pick someone up inbound and will report what I find. But if you have time to post, if it's up in time for your early departure please let us know.
Just to update this, I finally left DCA on AA on an early morning flight. While the website lists DCA Pre-Check for the middle pier as not opening until 6am, I arrived at about 5:45am and it was open and it was clear it had been open for a while (there was a line of 4-5 and it didn't appear as if it had just opened).

As a side note the pilots in front of me apparently were unaware that you could keep your shoes on for pre-check. You'd think they'd been through enough pre-check places by now to know but I guess not.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Some WTMD's seem more sensitive than others. My shoes and belt have never set them off once in my FF days since 2003, but my shoes always do at the SEA WTMD pre-lane. So now I just take them off at SEA proactively.
They can adjust the sensitive for different regions (vertically). I have a belt that used to be okay at DFW A30 but then all of a sudden started setting it off, but then after a few months stopped again. They must have been playing with the sensitivity. I asked an agent and he said he wasn't aware that it had been changed, but that it could be and probably was without them knowing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I have a belt that used to be okay at DFW A30 but then all of a sudden started setting it off, but then after a few months stopped again.
I used to religiously take off my belt for WTMDs after a history of setting them off (many years ago). With precheck, I started leaving it on again - no issues. Two weeks ago I was going through DFW pre and was talking to some guy who was taking off his belt, and mentioned that my belt doesn't seem to set off the WTMDs in the pre lanes, they must have them turned down real low...then I walk through and for the first time in a couple dozen pre trips the thing goes off...

Also, yesterday at DCA I was wearing a fleece and preparing to go through pre. I figured since the definition of "light jacket" was somewhat debatable I'd just err on the side of caution and take it off and put it in the bin. I already had it in the bin when the TSA agent, who had previously been occupied with telling the guy in front of me to put his shoes back on, came over and told me to put my jacket back on. I was like "Aww, no, it's ok, no big deal" thinking he was just trying to be nice, but then the agent was like "No, you HAVE to put your jacket back on". Ok. So I did.

While this seemed strange and nonsensical from a security perspective (since obviously going through the X-ray would pick up more than the WTMD), I am wondering if they are ironing out processes to maximize throughput once they open the floodgates of precheck to the masses...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
New experience for me: I finally got to try the pre-check at DCA and much to my surprise my travelling companion (same PNR but no status and no GE or anything else, though a Federal Government employee) was sent along with me. She was quite pleased.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by ckendall
New experience for me: I finally got to try the pre-check at DCA and much to my surprise my travelling companion (same PNR but no status and no GE or anything else, though a Federal Government employee) was sent along with me. She was quite pleased.
If she is either civilian or military, has a CAC if DoD and/or is employed at one of the IC members there’s a program for Pre. Not that well known. But in the public realm:

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2013/02/27/w...appropriations

"The TSA Pre✓™ initiative currently includes U.S. citizens who are members of existing U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs including Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI; Canadian citizens who are enrolled in the NEXUS program; and eligible airline frequent flyers traveling domestically. Certain other known and trusted populations, such as federal judges, members of the Intelligence Community, and members of the Armed Forces are also eligible for TSA Pre✓™."
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Flew out of JFK Friday, Very early am. Upgrade had come through on 1st leg, but not on second. Am not GE or anything else, just LT gold, but pre-ck printed out on both boarding passes done at home, and they sent me there. Even more surprising was that the Pre line was open, as was the Priority Access (it was about 4:20 am). Took the same flights 3 weeks earlier and the only line open was the regular wait-forever line, no priority entrance even, and no pre-ck on my boarding passes that day.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by AATrout
If she is either civilian or military, has a CAC if DoD and/or is employed at one of the IC members theres a program for Pre. Not that well known. But in the public realm:

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2013/02/27/w...appropriations

"The TSA Pre✓ initiative currently includes U.S. citizens who are members of existing U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs including Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI; Canadian citizens who are enrolled in the NEXUS program; and eligible airline frequent flyers traveling domestically. Certain other known and trusted populations, such as federal judges, members of the Intelligence Community, and members of the Armed Forces are also eligible for TSA Pre✓."
None of the above, but thanks for the information.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA elite / FFs (consolidated)

I've been seeing several people in the Pre line that are clueless about what is going on (mostly older female non FF's) so my only guess is that there is a lot of selected Pre going on to either expedite security or to encourage people to sign up (little taste of the crack, so to speak).
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
I've been seeing several people in the Pre line that are clueless about what is going on (mostly older female non FF's) so my only guess is that there is a lot of selected Pre going on to either expedite security or to encourage people to sign up (little taste of the crack, so to speak).
When I was in LAS a couple weeks ago Pre was completely clogged with people who weren't Pre at all. No scanning of BPs for three beeps, just pushing people through. A local who flies out every weekend told me that's how it had been for some time.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA elite / FFs (consolidated)

Just went through At PWM and an entourage of leisure 65+ ladies heading in a weekend trip to NYC were all 3-beeps and hadn't the faintest clue what was going on...but were thrilled when told they didn't have to remove shoes, light coats...etc. So much for exclusivity and speeding up the line for actual FF's and trusted travelers...
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
So I guess TSA thinks older females are not likely to be terrorists. My mother-in-law also got LLL one time, and she called me up asking me why she went to a special line where she didn't have to take anything out. Was there a funding cut that prevented TSA from doing their job checking people?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
SWas there a funding cut that prevented TSA from doing their job checking people?
Never one to defend the TSA, I think that getting things back to the state where the Pre-Check ritual is the norm for everyone, and not an exception is their job.

When they made the security theatre aspect annoying for all of us, we complained. Now, when they're increasing the number of people who get to do things in a normal way, and reduce the theatre, some complain again because they're no longer "special."

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Counter issued BPs are now showing "TSA PRECHK" in big letters on the top left.. Can post a pic when I get to DFW if anybody wants to see it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.