Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account


I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:18 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 8,185
Credit lines or credit card balances. I automatically assumed the latter.
beachfan is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:18 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 8,185
Originally Posted by cybaslacka
".... five (5) or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for two (2) consecutive months. "

when doing these 5 transactions, do i have to select "debit" in order for it to count or can i select "credit" on the card reading machine
My guess is selecting credit on a debit card doesn't work.
beachfan is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:20 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by onthego15
VERY unlikely that Citi will give you miles early.
Agreed. My experience with Citi is that you have to wait the specified period (90 days after statement period in which the required actions were performed) and then send a secure email to request the miles. You certainly won't get those miles early or without an effort.
j3brooklyn is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:22 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mountains of western NC
Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Posts: 8,485
Selecting credit while using a debit card does work, and it generally is what banks want you to do because they receive a larger % of the transaction. It is easy to do 99% of the time.
onthego15 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:31 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Programs: UA
Posts: 289
What if I already have a Citibank checking account open? And what if I already have the some I'm going to deposit in a Citibank savings account? Should I cancel the checking account and recreate one in early February?
txrandom is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:37 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mountains of western NC
Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Posts: 8,485
If you want to know the details about these accounts, especially how you can meet the $6000 minimum:

Start the application process by entering the code

When the open account page loads, look on the left side for "package details and fees"

Click on that to see the pricing packages.

Then in footnote 2 near the bottom of the page, click on
"Citibank Online Marketplace Addendum"

Then, go to page 8 & 9 and you will see all the accounts that can be linked to your Citibank account in order to meet the $6,000 minimum.

In some of Citi's earlier AA mile deals many of us were able to avoid fees by linking accounts.
onthego15 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:43 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SFO
Posts: 70
I just opened a new account with this promo code. I was instantly approved but I just realized that it did not ask for my AAdvantage number during the application process, so I'll call them tomorrow. It listed the T&C's for this offer. This is my first Citibank checking account and I'm a Citi/AAdvantage cardmember but I did not get a targeted email.
mfidelity is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:46 pm
  #23  
Formerly known as cagalindo
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MCO TPA
Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Posts: 1,335
Originally Posted by mfidelity
I just opened a new account with this promo code. I was instantly approved but I just realized that it did not ask for my AAdvantage number during the application process, so I'll call them tomorrow. It listed the T&C's for this offer. This is my first Citibank checking account and I'm a Citi/AAdvantage cardmember but I did not get a targeted email.

Ah yes this!! Was discussed at an earlier promo like this.
caGALINDO is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:48 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21
So if I'm reading the T&C right, if you cannot get an ave daily balance of 6k or 50k, you will be charged the monthly service charge for at least 3 months...

It's .24 cpm for the normal checking account and .3 cpm for the gold account, if they're expedient in crediting your account.
chasely is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:14 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SFO
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by mfidelity
I just opened a new account with this promo code. I was instantly approved but I just realized that it did not ask for my AAdvantage number during the application process, so I'll call them tomorrow. It listed the T&C's for this offer. This is my first Citibank checking account and I'm a Citi/AAdvantage cardmember but I did not get a targeted email.
Just talked to Citi and it's targeted. You can open an account using the code but won't get any miles if you were not targeted. Hopefully I can get the account closed and I didn't ruin my chances for future "first time" Citibank checking offers.

Live and learn.
mfidelity is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:12 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Originally Posted by onthego15
If you want to know the details about these accounts, especially how you can meet the $6000 minimum:

Start the application process by entering the code

When the open account page loads, look on the left side for "package details and fees"

Click on that to see the pricing packages.

Then in footnote 2 near the bottom of the page, click on
"Citibank Online Marketplace Addendum"

Then, go to page 8 & 9 and you will see all the accounts that can be linked to your Citibank account in order to meet the $6,000 minimum.

In some of Citi's earlier AA mile deals many of us were able to avoid fees by linking accounts.
Here's a link to the addendum with specific details:
https://online.citibank.com/JRS/popu...e_20101207.pdf

You can link the bank account to your Citi credit cards. It appears that you'd need to carry a combined credit card & bank account balance of $6k or more each month to have the fees waived.
vortix is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:24 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA LT Gold, SPG, RR
Posts: 29
The Skinny...

Hi All,

I tried to open the account and got all the way through. Got to the point where they allow you to print deposit ticket. I called and asked if I could swing by a branch for the deposit and was told that would be ok.

Here is the deal...the targeted nature of this offer is if you ALREADY have a AA Citi credit card.

I was told that each branch has the same offer, if you didn't get a email or it didn't work for you. However, they tried to get a $65 annual fee on top of the minimum deposit. I declined, but the nice teller is having the manager waive the fee for the first year.

Hope that helps clear some of this up.

Alex
ACEIV is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:50 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SFO
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by ACEIV
Hi All,

I tried to open the account and got all the way through. Got to the point where they allow you to print deposit ticket. I called and asked if I could swing by a branch for the deposit and was told that would be ok.

Here is the deal...the targeted nature of this offer is if you ALREADY have a AA Citi credit card.

I was told that each branch has the same offer, if you didn't get a email or it didn't work for you. However, they tried to get a $65 annual fee on top of the minimum deposit. I declined, but the nice teller is having the manager waive the fee for the first year.

Hope that helps clear some of this up.

Alex
My experience was different. I already have an AA Citi card and opened a new checking account online with the promo code. I talked to Supervisors in both the online and new account departments after I opened the account and was told I would not get any miles because it was targeted.

I hope you are right. I'll stop by a branch and see what happens before I close the account.
mfidelity is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:27 pm
  #29  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by mfidelity
My experience was different. I already have an AA Citi card and opened a new checking account online with the promo code. I talked to Supervisors in both the online and new account departments after I opened the account and was told I would not get any miles because it was targeted.

I hope you are right. I'll stop by a branch and see what happens before I close the account.
I call BS on Citi claiming this is targeted. Now, I don't doubt that you were told this. But, given that the offer code is the same for EVERYONE, there is no way for them to track what applicant is targeted, and who is not. IMHO.
romeoguy is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:13 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 257
Just closed my previous account. How long before I can open a NEW account?
I've noticed with citi that if your offer is listed in the new account packet, then you'll get it. I agree with others who say you don't specifically need to receive the offer.
flyerfrog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.