Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So let me confirm that the AA-QF issues have NOT been resolved. Set up one of those "just for the hell of it" alerts last night for SYD-DFW - and lo and behold EF emails me this morning with two J awards. I check aa.com and they do not appear. I call in and AA is able to see the seats with no issues. Agent mentioned she'd seen the memo about the issues so waived the phone fee (after I asked, not on her own of course).

So if you want a QF award, search on BA or EF.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:13 am

Ef alerts are not in real time. I did a similar test and the EF alert came 6hrs after I booked my own ticket and cleared its inventory
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Ef alerts are not in real time. I did a similar test and the EF alert came 6hrs after I booked my own ticket and cleared its inventory
Not sure if you're replying to me or not, but my post was about AA (still) not displaying QF award space, not EF alerts.

Last edited by no1cub17; Jan 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
The Utility of HUCA

The short version: I wanted to book a reward on Qatar with AA miles, but as stated by many here, cannot do it on AA website. Searched using BA site and found 2 business class seats available from 3 different North American gateways. Called AA exec platinum line and spoon fed the flight numbers to the agent who said no seats available, only showing coach. So I hung up and waited 15 minutes and called again. The next agent was able to finds all the flights I gave her and it was done in less than 10 minutes. Searching this forum, I came up with a number of posts stating the BA website showing phantom availability for QR?? Is this really the case, or did the first agent just not know how to search correctly?
(just as an aside, I have always been a little leary of getting the same agent if you HUCA, Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
(just as an aside, I have always been a little leary of getting the same agent if you HUCA, Has this ever happened to anyone?
Last winter during a winter storm I was connected to the very same agent when I called 3 minutes later. However, during these 3 minutes the availability changed from Y0 to Y1 on EF and the agent could change my reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I just released 1 F seat on DFW-SYD on 8/16 if anyone's looking.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Is the phantom/unconfirmed availability issue from a couple weeks ago resolved? I have a SFO-SYD-ASP that I'd like to switch to SFO-SYD-BNE (i.e. just changing the intra-Australia segment), but I'm hesitant to touch it after the QF/AA issues a couple weeks ago!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Is the phantom/unconfirmed availability issue from a couple weeks ago resolved? I have a SFO-SYD-ASP that I'd like to switch to SFO-SYD-BNE (i.e. just changing the intra-Australia segment), but I'm hesitant to touch it after the QF/AA issues a couple weeks ago!
I've made a number of changes in the last few days and haven't had anything fall off.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
The short version: I wanted to book a reward on Qatar with AA miles, but as stated by many here, cannot do it on AA website. Searched using BA site and found 2 business class seats available from 3 different North American gateways. Called AA exec platinum line and spoon fed the flight numbers to the agent who said no seats available, only showing coach. So I hung up and waited 15 minutes and called again. The next agent was able to finds all the flights I gave her and it was done in less than 10 minutes. Searching this forum, I came up with a number of posts stating the BA website showing phantom availability for QR?? Is this really the case, or did the first agent just not know how to search correctly?
This is the QF thread (looks like you meant to post this in the QR thread) but cool - glad it worked out for you.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:38 am

I managed to get 4 J seats from US to Oz flying Qantas this coming Dec. They are on 4 different PNR cause each person is flying out from different US cities. I called AA to obtain the record locator for Qantas and try to login on the Qantas website using 'Manage my Booking' tab but all of them give me an error. Called Qantas and the rep say the record locator is right but even she can't login when she tried. Anyone else experience this? I want to be able to see the seat map and pick seat and check in online etc.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:49 am

I'm having a similar issue. Mine works fine but my partner's does not. Both show correctly on checkmytrip.com, however.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmdough
I managed to get 4 J seats from US to Oz flying Qantas this coming Dec. They are on 4 different PNR cause each person is flying out from different US cities. I called AA to obtain the record locator for Qantas and try to login on the Qantas website using 'Manage my Booking' tab but all of them give me an error. Called Qantas and the rep say the record locator is right but even she can't login when she tried. Anyone else experience this? I want to be able to see the seat map and pick seat and check in online etc.
Have you tried using the AA record locator? That number also works on Qantas' website. Might be a possible work around.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
Have you tried using the AA record locator? That number also works on Qantas' website. Might be a possible work around.
Tried that too. It didn't work. Checkmytrip.com did show the proper itinerary though.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you can find Classic awards on qantas.com, does that mean AA should be able to book it?

I found some dates searching for "Classic Awards" but it comes out to 192,000 points round trip?

Is that their saver award equivalent?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: Free agent
AA shows Qantas availability through the award search on aa.com. Usually this matches the award availability on the qantas website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.