Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by jamabam
I plan to get the new iPhone as well but you're right they'll likely exclude it, as does Best Buy generally. Any other ideas on how to maximize LPs for it, aside from making the purchase on an AA credit card?
Purchase Apple gift cards online at Walgreens via the portal for 2LP/$1. Using most AA cards, as you note, gets you to 3LP/$1.
nk15 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
Great Idea! Thank you!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Purchase Apple gift cards online at Walgreens via the portal for 2LP/$1. Using most AA cards, as you note, gets you to 3LP/$1.
Only available for pick up though, but it seems that it is the only retailer that does not exclude giftcards. It was 4 miles yesterday, but I manage to order my tests the day before...

Last edited by nk15; Sep 2, 2022 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Placed a $250 GC order but the charge was declined by the credit card company’s anti-fraud functionality (first time I tried to use that cc on GC.com). I never went went back to run the charge again.
Received the tracking email yesterday, today I received the “you’ve earned 768 LPs and RDMs” email.
Based on previous posts here I’m expecting the RDMs to eventually be “reversed,” but it seems I’ll get to keep the LPs.
Not that I need them this year, but this method may be something to remember for qualification next year…
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I’d bet they don’t post. The emails were likely triggered by the order but the miles triggered by payment settling.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Other than paying bills or adding to Amazon (sparingly), anyone found a good quick-conversion for any of the virtual gift cards?

I'm going to see about adding it as a payment source in my 7-11 app for getting gas. Ever since I found out the app price-matches every other local 7-11 in the area, regardless of which store you're at, that's become my easy button for gas.
This is how I also use them besides Amazon and utility bills:

Purchase COSTCO gift cards online (then use them to buy gas and for in-store purchases)

Pay for my BAAH bookings (non-refundable rates that are under $250)

And any residual value left on one gets applied to my AT&T account.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Purchase COSTCO gift cards online (then use them to buy gas and for in-store purchases)
Another benefit is that I was able to purchase a $325 TV online at Costco.com. I was able to apply a $100 costco gift card first, then use a virtual VISA GC for the remainder. Note, this will consume the full Costco gift card… you cannot choose to use all $250 from the virtual VISA and the remainder from the Costco GC
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I recently discovered that Paypal allows use of multiple GCs. Had a 550 dollar purchase and was able to use 3 GCs for it.
Mr. BoH, LittleBird and Imarmed like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:07 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
I’d bet they don’t post. The emails were likely triggered by the order but the miles triggered by payment settling.
The miles posted today.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Another benefit is that I was able to purchase a $325 TV online at Costco.com. I was able to apply a $100 costco gift card first, then use a virtual VISA GC for the remainder. Note, this will consume the full Costco gift card… you cannot choose to use all $250 from the virtual VISA and the remainder from the Costco GC
This works the same at Walmart if using a WM giftcard and then a virtual visa loaded on to Walmart Pay.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
The miles posted today.
confirmed or pending ?

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Sep 3, 2022 at 9:22 pm Reason: ,
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
confirmed or pending ?
The miles posted to my AAdvantage FF account today.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Sep 3, 2022 at 9:51 pm
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
The miles posted to my AAdvantage FF account today.
I also had an order cancelled for security on my BoA card and just re ordered and I also see both orders tracked and they have both moved to pending now. Nothing posted to AA FF account yet. They might claw it back if it does post though. That's how other portals have done it for me in the past (TopCashback)
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Other than paying bills or adding to Amazon (sparingly), anyone found a good quick-conversion for any of the virtual gift cards?

I'm going to see about adding it as a payment source in my 7-11 app for getting gas. Ever since I found out the app price-matches every other local 7-11 in the area, regardless of which store you're at, that's become my easy button for gas.
The best use I have found for these is to pay my property taxes. There is 2.5% charge for credit cards but only 1% for debit cards, including VGCs. With the 5% off promos it's a slight profit and of course I get the LPs and RDM.

THe only annoyance is it takes forever to pay in $247.52 increments because I can only apply one VGC per day and then need to wait until the next morning for it to update my balance. Still well worth it!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Regarding tracking, I think it's easiest to have a dedicated browser just for all the shopping portals. My main browser is Edge and I have all kinds of security settings with it which makes me more comfortable. I set up Chrome without any restriction, no ad blocker, with loose security/privacy settings, and with official shopping portal extensions. The Chrome is dedicated for shopping portals only, nothing else.
njvandy and SFflyer20 like this.

Last edited by Rhomboid; Sep 5, 2022 at 2:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.