FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1023487-aa-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

Zurick Jan 1, 2019 1:50 pm

Upgrades on AA (to merge 500 mile upgrades)

I was a US Air platinum and got switched to American (am also life Delta Diamond). Delta and US used to be similar. At 7 days I and partner could be upgraded anywhere. I tried to upgrade the other day and was told I needed to use upgrade certificates. What are they? Does status alone no longer get you upgraded Must admit it has been awhile using commercial. Thanks in advance

MorganB Jan 1, 2019 2:01 pm

Flights under 500 miles receive complementary upgrades for anyone with status. Domestic upgrades over 500 miles are complementary for Platinum Pro and Executive platinum members. Gold and Platinum members must use 500 mile certificates. You take the flight miles and apply enough certificates to cover the entire distance. For example a 700 mile trip would be 2 certificates or a 1100 mile trip would be 3 certificates. Gold and Platinum members earn free certificates by flying or you can purchase them.

bse118 Jan 1, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zurick (Post 30596281)
I was a US Air platinum and got switched to American (am also life Delta Diamond). Delta and US used to be similar. At 7 days I and partner could be upgraded anywhere. I tried to upgrade the other day and was told I needed to use upgrade certificates. What are they? Does status alone no longer get you upgraded Must admit it has been awhile using commercial. Thanks in advance

Things are different - and have been for a number of years. All you need to know about AA's 500-mile upgrade system in existing thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...questions.html

aztimm Jan 1, 2019 2:05 pm

Moderator note:

Per the rules, I have updated the thread title:

Thread titles

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
If you haven't reviewed the rules lately, you can find them here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

You can also find a link in the menu at the top of every page on FlyerTalk: HELP-->Rules

Also this thread will eventually be merged into the thread that bse118 referenced above.

LovePrunes Jan 2, 2019 9:20 am

Does anyone know if the 3,000 EQMs earned from credit card spending with Barclay's Aviator card count towards our earning thresholds for more upgrades? My math shows it is not including my 3k EQMs, but should it?

Zurick Jan 2, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks bse. So as I understand it now, for "long flights" there is no benefit being a platinum except maybe the order you get bumped but it sounds like a gold with more money spent flying will still bump a platinum who has not flown much at that point (I get my status usually by international/Africa/Austrailia flights end of year). And then you must have certificates to use instead. It would seem better just to use miles to upgrade

Question. Do any plats routinely now get upgraded NY to LA? Also I used to get EQMs on South African that worked for US Air status. Do codeshare miles count for "place in line" ( and do they still count for elite status) I tried talking to AA customer service and got two answers

ps thanks moderator

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 2, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zurick (Post 30600635)
Thanks bse. So as I understand it now, for "long flights" there is no benefit being a platinum except maybe the order you get bumped but it sounds like a gold with more money spent flying will still bump a platinum who has not flown much at that point (I get my status usually by international/Africa/Austrailia flights end of year). And then you must have certificates to use instead. It would seem better just to use miles to upgrade

Question. Do any plats routinely now get upgraded NY to LA? Also I used to get EQMs on South African that worked for US Air status. Do codeshare miles count for "place in line" ( and do they still count for elite status) I tried talking to AA customer service and got two answers

ps thanks moderator

Upgrade ques go by elite level and within elite level by trailing 12 month dollar spend. So a PLT would always preside over a GLD no matter the 12 month spend. NYC to LAX? For a PLT probably only off times like Saturday PM and early Sunday AM, maybe mid week mid day. But as a general rule as a PLT I wouldn't anticipate an upgrade on a transcon. Any partner that gives EQMs and EDQs would count for elite status and dollars towards your 12 month spend. For non OW airlines I'd refer to aa.com for specific rules.

NYC Flyer Jan 2, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30600753)
NYC to LAX? For a PLT probably only off times like Saturday PM and early Sunday AM, maybe mid week mid day. But as a general rule as a PLT I wouldn't anticipate an upgrade on a transcon.

About 55k EQMs last year just on this route as PLT. I’ve gotten them frequently enough to start costing me $200 on several flights (had to buy upgrades). Friday late morning/early afternoon has been good ex-LAX along with Tuesday morning ex-JFK. Was $1400 short on EQDs, and decided it wasn’t worth the extra cost and effort to maintain PLT for the privilege of paying $200 to upgrade. Have lifetime GLD and MCE seats seem pretty easy to score at checkin on my usual travel dates.

aagiants Jan 8, 2019 6:18 pm

Not sure if I missed it, but basic question.

Who pays for the upgrade when both your companion and you are elites? Does it matter if one person is higher than the other?

In my situation we are on the same record locator and I'm platinum and companion is gold.

Flyertalker1 Jan 15, 2019 4:48 pm

What’s the consensus answer on using 500 mile stickers prior to a status change.

Going from gold to no status. Flight in April.

would the 500 upgrade be honored and used if available or returned to my account?

JJeffrey Jan 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1 (Post 30659172)
What’s the consensus answer on using 500 mile stickers prior to a status change.

Going from gold to no status. Flight in April.

would the 500 upgrade be honored and used if available or returned to my account?

You must have status to use your stickers. The stickers never expire, so once you drop down to no status they remain in your account, but you have to regain status again before you can use them.

platbrownguy Jan 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by aagiants (Post 30629743)
Not sure if I missed it, but basic question.

Who pays for the upgrade when both your companion and you are elites? Does it matter if one person is higher than the other?

In my situation we are on the same record locator and I'm platinum and companion is gold.

If you both go check in at the airport together you should be able to tell the agent how you want it done (theoretically either passenger can pay for both, or each for their own).

If you're both on the same PNR, I think you'll each pay for your own by default.

777lover Jan 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Officially, the one with the highest status is the one’s priority that’s is used for the upgrade. It is this pwron’s Account that all of the stickers (self and companion) are to come from. See .com. It all spelled out there.

YMMV.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30659849)
If you both go check in at the airport together you should be able to tell the agent how you want it done (theoretically either passenger can pay for both, or each for their own).

If you're both on the same PNR, I think you'll each pay for your own by default.

JJeffrey Jan 16, 2019 5:02 am

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 30659904)
Officially, the one with the highest status is the one’s priority that’s is used for the upgrade. It is this pwron’s Account that all of the stickers (self and companion) are to come from. See .com. It all spelled out there.

YMMV.

This is true until things go to the airport list, at which point 2 pax will be listed according to their individual status, even on the same PNR. It's possible to override this and have both listed on the airport list according to the higher status, but it takes agent intervention.

Magician Jan 24, 2019 3:51 am

Can I use AAdvantage Electronic Upgrades to upgrade from Premium Econ on British?

Experts -- I have LHR SFO coming up soon, have tens of EUs on Aadvantage. Ticket bought directly from BA. Flight is BA metal (BA285). Is there any way to use these 500-mile EUs to upgrade the class of service in this way? Cabin is Premium Economy, I believe W but not exactly sure on that at the moment.

Thanks.

Uncle Nonny Jan 24, 2019 3:56 am

Domestic only. AA metal only.

aztimm Jan 24, 2019 4:01 am

No, those cannot be used to upgrade on another carrier. They can only be used on AA to upgrade domestic flights (so you couldn't use them to upgrade if you flew AA LAX-LHR either).

If it is a W fare, then you can use your AA miles to upgrade. But a true W fare would cost more than a discounted business class fare.

BA often will let you upgrade, in advance, using Avios, if you have any. And if there are still seats available on departure date, they will often have upgrades available for a fee. I'd suspect SFO-LHR would be $800-1000. There is a thread in the BA forum with offers. Here is the 2018 version:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...18-thread.html

dcmike Jan 24, 2019 4:35 am

BA also do "Pro-active Online Upgrades" or POUG - when you check your booking on the BA website, sometimes offers for upgrades will appear. More information here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...19-thread.html

ashill Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am

Moreover, 500 mile upgrades can only be used to upgrade from economy to the next cabin of service. So operating carrier, route, and cabin are a triple whammy, unfortunately.

danorum Jan 25, 2019 3:33 pm

I have searched through this thread (but maybe my search skills are lacking). Does the MTEU reset Jan 31 now with the membership year, or Feb 28th? The Wiki still says Feb 28, but I thought this was the year that the membership year changed.

EDIT - Looks like it is Jan 31 now. I am not a heavy poster here, but should the wiki be updated? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2018-a.html

javabytes Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm

What’s the key to getting companion upgrades to work properly when on separate PNRs?

I am EXP and my wife is Gold. I requested an upgrade for both of us, asking her to be listed as my companion since my priority is higher than hers, and I wanted to use my stickers. The flight was super empty at the window - an E75 with not a single seat occupied up front, and we were the only people in 5 rows of MCE. We didn’t get upgraded at 100 hours out. A couple seats filled at the EXP and PP upgrade windows, but we stayed where we were. I’m no stranger to “subject to availability”, but it was pretty clear lower tier elites were clearing rather than seats being purchased.

The upgrade request box wasn’t checked on her PNR. Which I suppose could be normal if I requested the upgrade for her as my companion, but I used that opportunity to ask two agents to check and make sure the requests were in properly and hadn’t gotten stuck. They both said it looked good. After a couple more seats filled at the Plat window, I asked them to remove the upgrade requests. Then I requested an upgrade only for me - cleared right away. Then I immediately requested a companion upgrade for her - also cleared right away.

I’m lucky the flight was so empty and the front cabin slow to fill, so it worked out in the end, but is there a trick to getting these to work properly? Separate PNRs always seem to cause issues, and if I had trusted what the agents were telling me, we would have continued to sit in the back despite availability clearly being there,

jvel Feb 1, 2019 3:29 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting pro-rated stickers today after the counter reset?

I was about halfway to 4 more and just called in asking if they would do so, but was shot down.

uxb Feb 4, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jvel (Post 30729144)
Has anyone had any luck getting pro-rated stickers today after the counter reset?

I was about halfway to 4 more and just called in asking if they would do so, but was shot down.

I just made the call and I was sitting at 1266 shy of getting 4. They gave me two. Better than zero, but not like I've been able to redeem any of these anyway. AACS rep said that as long as you're over half, then they can give you something.

bosman Feb 4, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 30738252)
I just made the call and I was sitting at 1266 shy of getting 4. They gave me two. Better than zero, but not like I've been able to redeem any of these anyway. AACS rep said that as long as you're over half, then they can give you something.

iirc, AA moved to “over halfway, get 2” approach a couple of years ago.

uxb Feb 4, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30738752)

iirc, AA moved to “over halfway, get 2” approach a couple of years ago.

I am sure it did. OP was asking about recent experiences doing this.

ralphs Feb 4, 2019 4:47 pm

Is there a mechanism to upgrade from J to F with EXP UDUs if I purchased an "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare for a domestic transcon with flagship 3-class service? When looking at my reservation, there is no place to request an upgrade on AA.com or on the AA app.

NYC Flyer Feb 4, 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs (Post 30739699)
Is there a mechanism to upgrade from J to F with EXP UDUs if I purchased an "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare for a domestic transcon with flagship 3-class service? When looking at my reservation, there is no place to request an upgrade on AA.com or on the AA app.

No sticker/UDU upgrades are permitted to Flagship First. Certificates (BXP1 or SWU) will work, though. UA allowed it when it flew 3-class aircraft, but AA never has.

HofstraJet Feb 5, 2019 2:12 pm

The "no 50 mile grace period" really irks me. Traveling MIA-PHL with my MIL. Requested upgrades and she needs 3 stickers - 1,013 miles. Ugh!!!!

Upgrades cleared (right at 100 hours for a flight with J3, interestingly), but it really sucks to burn a sticker for 13 miles. Too bad the direct FLL-PHL have bad times for us.

/rantover

GetSetJetSet Feb 5, 2019 3:38 pm

are EXP upgrades no longer clearing at 100hrs? I am 60-65 hours away from a flight with a half empty F cabin and C=4 but my UG hasn't processed. Connecting to another wide open F cabin and that hasn't processed either.

HofstraJet Feb 5, 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30743485)
are EXP upgrades no longer clearing at 100hrs? I am 60-65 hours away from a flight with a half empty F cabin and C=4 but my UG hasn't processed. Connecting to another wide open F cabin and that hasn't processed either.

I had two hub-hub upgrades clear right at 100 hours each this week for MIA-PHL and the return. Granted, one was mid-day Wednesday and the other late night Saturday, but the system is working as it should AFAIK.

You may want to call for the C4 flight and see if they can remove and re-add you to see if that gets it processed.

GetSetJetSet Feb 5, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet (Post 30743614)
I had two hub-hub upgrades clear right at 100 hours each this week for MIA-PHL and the return. Granted, one was mid-day Wednesday and the other late night Saturday, but the system is working as it should AFAIK.

You may want to call for the C4 flight and see if they can remove and re-add you to see if that gets it processed.

I called and was told that i'm on the list properly, it's just not processing the upgrades yet. Should I HUCA?

JJeffrey Feb 5, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30743646)
I called and was told that i'm on the list properly, it's just not processing the upgrades yet. Should I HUCA?

No, EXP comp upgrades can clear at anytime between 100 hrs before a flight right up to the gate. Just because there are open seats doesn't mean that AA will necessarily release sticker upgrade space. In fact it's usually quite the opposite, of course a lot of it depends on the route and day/time, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had a EXP upgrade clear at 100 hrs out.

jliehr Feb 5, 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by danorum (Post 30700981)
I have searched through this thread (but maybe my search skills are lacking). Does the MTEU reset Jan 31 now with the membership year, or Feb 28th? The Wiki still says Feb 28, but I thought this was the year that the membership year changed.

EDIT - Looks like it is Jan 31 now. I am not a heavy poster here, but should the wiki be updated? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2018-a.html

I had rolled over 4 more on January 28th, had a red-eye HNL-DFW that left HNL at 9:00 on 1/31, landed in Dallas on the first, 3984 miles flushed (towards stickers) because of the time zone at the departure city. Not that I have a snowballs chance clearing on my flight to/from HNL as a lowly gold anyway.

HofstraJet Feb 5, 2019 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30743748)
No, EXP comp upgrades can clear at anytime between 100 hrs before a flight right up to the gate. Just because there are open seats doesn't mean that AA will necessarily release sticker upgrade space. In fact it's usually quite the opposite, of course a lot of it depends on the route and day/time, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had a EXP upgrade clear at 100 hrs out.

And just to show how YMMV it is, I had two clear (for 2 pax each) this week at 100 hours. Go figure.

msr0013 Feb 5, 2019 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jvel (Post 30729144)

I called today, was a little over halfway, and was given 1 sticker. Better than nothing I suppose...

platbrownguy Feb 5, 2019 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30743646)

Recently about half of mine clear at 100 hours and the other half clear at 26-28 hours (of the ones that clear in advance, that is).

aacar Feb 6, 2019 12:21 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30744516)
Recently about half of mine clear at 100 hours and the other half clear at 26-28 hours (of the ones that clear in advance, that is).

Same here - many of mine have been clearing at T-26.5 on the dot.

GetSetJetSet Feb 6, 2019 6:12 am

48hrs out, still haven’t cleared.

GetSetJetSet Feb 6, 2019 4:16 pm

EXP

EWR-ORD: 10 available seats, ~39 hours out, not clearing.
connecting to
ORD-MSY: 10 available seats, not clearing.

Strange.

Segments Feb 6, 2019 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30747896)
EXP

EWR-ORD: 10 available seats, ~39 hours out, not clearing.
connecting to
ORD-MSY: 10 available seats, not clearing.

Strange.

Travel alert for ORD this week. Ops anticipates those seats may be needed to re-accommodate paid Business/First? I find even on routes I routinely clear in advance become battlefield upgrades or no upgrades during IRROPS.