FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1023487-aa-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

DCAAA Jan 4, 2017 2:07 pm

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 27704755)
We'll merge this with our 500-mile upgrade thread for further discussion. Thank. /Moderator

eh i'll just delete it

now i remember why i stopped using this terrible site -- it's completely useless because of the thread nazis that merge every question into a 100-page threads that nobody reads

JDiver Jan 4, 2018 11:06 am

Posts exploring the chances of upgrading have been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

JDiver, Moderator

hurnik Jan 4, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29249803)
Posts exploring the chances of upgrading have been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

JDiver, Moderator

Thanks but that thread is closed/locked.

fanger Jan 4, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 29113920)
In my experience, this stuff only happens when the non-elite passenger tries to OLCI before I do. The past half-dozen times I've upgraded a non-elite (always on a separate PNR that I called to have linked -- and all of which have worked/cleared at T-100), I made sure to OLCI myself first and then to OLCI my companion. No trouble at all, and the stickers have later come out of my account as expected. In the past the other passenger had tried to OLCI before me and gotten the "please buy stickers" message you describe.

Recent experience: transcon upgraded ahead of time with myself and my wife (PLAT) on one PNR. I checked her in online first, excluding myself. I checked myself in an hour or so later. Upgrades were eventually deducted from her account.

On the return, no advance upgrade; I asked at the check-in counter (after prior checkin via app) to make sure we had the same priority (we were showing up on the upgrade list well separated). It took him quite a long time to manage it (at least 10 min) but eventually worked out. Had to ask at gate for transcon segment for them to process the upgrade list. In this case, upgrades were deducted from my account.

I wonder if the separate check in, lower status companion, always will work when pre-upgraded? I've only about 14 e500 left, but she has like 90.

aztimm Jan 4, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 29250195)
Thanks but that thread is closed/locked.

Thanks! I moved it to the 2018 version here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

hurnik Jan 16, 2018 11:51 am

Just an odd observation (maybe add to the Wiki, but not sure if it's relevant there):

Last night purchased (2) 500 mile upgrade stickers.
Checked my account this morning, shows I have 2 on file.
Purchased 4 more this morning. 4 hours later, still only shows 2 on file. (yes, the website says *at least 2 hours* for processing).

Anyway, the "oddity"
If I try to use the aa.com iOS app, it will not let me check in unless I purchase 4 upgrades (currently 1 upgrade confirmed other two are "requested" theoretical total would be 6 stickers I need).

If I use the online website, then it happily lets me check-in and wait-lists me for the other 2 segments.

Not sure if this is WAD, but if it is, perhaps this info is useful in the Wiki? (can't check-in online with the app unless your account shows X amount of sticker upgrades, but the website will let you)?

nismo240ssx Jan 22, 2018 9:36 pm

UDU & SDC

Not sure exactly where to post this, please move if needed.

I used SDC today on ord/clt Since I came early given the weather. Club could not confirm so I walk to the gate. Easily clear into 11A ( 1 of 2 on list and cabin is y7) gate agent and a premium services agent waiting in a CK both claimed I couldn't be put on the FC upgrade list since it's The Same list and you can't double upgrade. Also said you have to be confirmed to get on the upgrade list which I understand but having a boarding pass W/ a seat should mean confirmed, correct?

didn't really fight it just boarded but now I am curious as to the policy. And btw I was upgraded on the 6pm flight (my original) in to R class.

samm Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by nismo240ssx (Post 29327303)
Not sure exactly where to post this, please move if needed.

I used SDC today on ord/clt Since I came early given the weather. Club could not confirm so I walk to the gate. Easily clear into 11A ( 1 of 2 on list and cabin is y7) gate agent and a premium services agent waiting in a CK both claimed I couldn't be put on the FC upgrade list since it's The Same list and you can't double upgrade. Also said you have to be confirmed to get on the upgrade list which I understand but having a boarding pass W/ a seat should mean confirmed, correct?

didn't really fight it just boarded but now I am curious as to the policy. And btw I was upgraded on the 6pm flight (my original) in to R class.

I've had same frustration, they always tell me I would be on the end of the UG list regardless of where I would rank usually due to status. Each time I have been in this circumstance the list is long, but it seems like there was space anyways for you. As soon as you're confirmed onto the flight you should be able to be added to the other list, (and when I have asked for them to do this for me, it would still be at the end of the UG list though).

Panamajon513 Jan 29, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29226842)
As long as you hold status, you earn stickers.. so say you are PLT now that expires 1/31/2018 and drop to no status, you'd still accumulate stickers till 1/31/2018 as you are a PLT till then.

What are your thoughts on getting a pro-rata amount of stickers based on earned miles? I won't have 12,500 at end of 1/31/18 but I will have 9,267 or just under 75% ... any chance they will give me 3 vouchers if I ask after Jan 31? Speculation, of course.

MathMusic Jan 29, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Panamajon513 (Post 29353304)
What are your thoughts on getting a pro-rata amount of stickers based on earned miles? I won't have 12,500 at end of 1/31/18 but I will have 9,267 or just under 75% ... any chance they will give me 3 vouchers if I ask after Jan 31? Speculation, of course.

I've seen reports of agents being willing to do so. Although depending on the agent you might only get 2 instead of 3.

bosman Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

It used to be standard procedure; over 1/2 way to 12,500 (or 10,000 at the time), get 2 - under 1/2 way get 0. See this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...15-2016-a.html

I cannot remember whether this did or did not change for 2017 and haven't found a thread on it for last year. Perhaps others with better memories or search skills can provide that update.

Antarius Jan 29, 2018 4:45 pm

AA typically does allow this - just call and ask. Just under 75% though, you likely will be able to get 2.

lkar Feb 2, 2018 5:38 pm

Uggh. I didn't know that the program year was changing this year. I was about 2,500 EQMs away from my next set of stickers but I just had my clock reset. Has anyone had any luck after the change in the program year at getting pro rated stickers for the prior year or do you need to call before the changeover?

LPCJr Feb 6, 2018 7:54 am

So I don’t normally buy these but was one short. I made the purchase through the AA app four days ago. I got a receipt by email. None of my AA apps show an increased number of upgrades. The only place I see the increased number is one place on aa.com. Even there, there are still some places that show the lower number. The only remark I saw was about needing at least 48 hours to allow the upgrade to credit. Should I contact AA at this point since none of my apps show the correct number? I have also tried logging out of the app and back in.

AAdamE Feb 6, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 29373372)
Uggh. I didn't know that the program year was changing this year. I was about 2,500 EQMs away from my next set of stickers but I just had my clock reset. Has anyone had any luck after the change in the program year at getting pro rated stickers for the prior year or do you need to call before the changeover?

I called just now and got 3. I had flown 1090 EQMs, they initially gave me two, but saw that some folks got 3 or 4 on here and said that my colleague was offered more and they gave me one more. I'm so glad I saw this thread, I would have ended up with 0.

RogerD408 Feb 7, 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by LPCJr (Post 29385580)
So I don’t normally buy these but was one short. I made the purchase through the AA app four days ago. I got a receipt by email. None of my AA apps show an increased number of upgrades. The only place I see the increased number is one place on aa.com. Even there, there are still some places that show the lower number. The only remark I saw was about needing at least 48 hours to allow the upgrade to credit. Should I contact AA at this point since none of my apps show the correct number? I have also tried logging out of the app and back in.

There are many "sources" of data for different pages/apps as you see, the most important one is what is in the central AA database which I am sure will be the one queried when it's time to use them. I would wait and see what gets updated in the next sweeps. If it's getting close to your travel date, then a call to AA should tell you what is there.

lkar Feb 7, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE (Post 29386992)
I called just now and got 3. I had flown 1090 EQMs, they initially gave me two, but saw that some folks got 3 or 4 on here and said that my colleague was offered more and they gave me one more. I'm so glad I saw this thread, I would have ended up with 0.

This worked for me. I called the platinum desk and the first guy I spoke to gave me some general information about 500-mile upgrades and then eventually transferred me to customer service. They were very helpful -- they calculated that I had earned about 8,500 so I only got two, though I thought I was closer to 10,000. But, either way, I was happy to get any. Many thanks!

shawnecooper Feb 9, 2018 1:55 pm

Question along the same line. I am now Platinum Pro and I do not need 500 mile stickers anymore but I do for companion but do I understand it correct that I will not earn anymore as PP moving forward to use for my companions. That seems silly.

Antarius Feb 9, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by shawnecooper (Post 29399237)
Question along the same line. I am now Platinum Pro and I do not need 500 mile stickers anymore but I do for companion but do I understand it correct that I will not earn anymore as PP moving forward to use for my companions. That seems silly.

Yup. EXP and PPro do not earn stickers. You can buy them for companions.

I get why they did it, not sure what makes more sense - you continue to earn (maybe at a reduced rate) or the current model. Somehow I ended up with 51 stickers, so haven't had any issues for companions as EXP.

Gig103 Mar 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Question about upgrades and how stickers are deducted if we get lucky. Ticket purchased from an OTA, once it ticketed I logged into my AA account and checked the upgrade request box. My wife and I are both Gold with the same EQD from 2017 since all our flights were together. If the upgrades clear, will it deduct all the stickers from my account since I checked the box, or will we each pay our '2'?

I am not sure b/c the only other time our upgrades processed, I was Plat (she was Gold) so all were deducted from my bank rather than split the PNR and lose her upgrade priority. But this time we're on equal footing.

robertablake Mar 12, 2018 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29511861)
Question about upgrades and how stickers are deducted if we get lucky. Ticket purchased from an OTA, once it ticketed I logged into my AA account and checked the upgrade request box. My wife and I are both Gold with the same EQD from 2017 since all our flights were together. If the upgrades clear, will it deduct all the stickers from my account since I checked the box, or will we each pay our '2'?

I am not sure b/c the only other time our upgrades processed, I was Plat (she was Gold) so all were deducted from my bank rather than split the PNR and lose her upgrade priority. But this time we're on equal footing.

Based on my experience, they will deduct from your respective Advantage accounts.

When I requested upgrades for previous trips for my wife and me, AA deducted the stickers from her account when she had them on one trip and deducted the stickers from my account when she had no stickers on another trip. So, it seems like they will hit each respective account if stickers are available in each account.

Allusha Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm

I have a question - is it possible to be on both the sticker and the VIP/miles waitlist for an EXP on a revenue coach domestic ticket? I've been waitlisted on both before and have cleared into R before C availability. I am trying to upgrade a domestic coach itinerary and have been told by the EXP desk that I can either be on the EVIP or complimentary list but not both. I am hoping to avoid missing an upgrade if R becomes available before C, which seems to have happened in the past.

AAExecPlatFlier Mar 16, 2018 5:26 pm

No suppose to be. But sometimes agents when requesting C will forget to take u off of the 500 miler list.

Originally Posted by Allusha (Post 29533838)
I have a question - is it possible to be on both the sticker and the VIP/miles waitlist for an EXP? I've been waitlisted on both before and have cleared into R before C availability.

catcher1 Mar 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by robertablake (Post 29514142)
Based on my experience, they will deduct from your respective Advantage accounts.

When I requested upgrades for previous trips for my wife and me, AA deducted the stickers from her account when she had them on one trip and deducted the stickers from my account when she had no stickers on another trip. So, it seems like they will hit each respective account if stickers are available in each account.

You can request that the stickers be taken from a specific account if you are on the same record.

catcher1 Mar 16, 2018 7:14 pm

My wife was EP last year, and only made Plat this year (not enough EQDs). She was on a flight with available F seats but did not get an upgrade because as EP she didn't accumulate stickers, so she had none. Later, she called customer service to "complain" (very courteously). The very nice agent told her, "I can fix that for the future," and moved her to PlatPro at no charge! She had been offered PlatPro earlier for about $1800.

VickiSoCal Mar 17, 2018 10:32 am

Anyone know how this would happen?

LAX to JFK flight to this morning. Gate agent announces that business checked in full. After boarding numbers 9 and 10 on the waitlist clear no one else.

If 9/10 went biz to first why didn't 1/2 go coach to biz?

If 9/10 went coach to biz, why did they jump the queue?

stc Mar 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Biz checked in full but 2 where no shows. 9/10 went coach to biz. Everyone else before then in queue was already in biz waiting for first. Or something like that.

VickiSoCal Mar 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Husband was number 2 waiting on coach to business.

VickiSoCal Mar 17, 2018 3:13 pm

AA has confirmed via twitter DM that #9 and #10 were upgraded from business to first.

They say they do not know why noone was upgraded from coach to business to fill those two seats.

redtop43 Apr 3, 2018 12:08 am

Sticker Upgrade Use: Please Advise New User

I'm curious about how people use their sticker upgrades. I've never used one.

I almost never flew AA before the merger, and when I was elite it was usually on US or DL, who both have unlimited free upgrades. Since the merger I've accumulated 11 stickers. They accrue pretty slowly, even not counting for the rounding-up you get stickers for 16% of your flown miles; used to be 20%.

In a couple weeks I'm flying PHL-LAX-PDX. Y was $183, F was $565, a difference of $380. It would take 7 stickers to upgrade, which would cost $280. By buying F I get extra EQMs, and I'd have almost no chance of being upgraded anyway on the PHL-LAX leg. Admittedly this is possibly an extreme example. I think paid PHL-LAX is about $220 in Y and $1020 in F, so that would be $800 fare difference vs. $200 worth of stickers. ("Hidden City" pricing is of course in play here, but no I'm not playing that game, I'm going to PDX.)

Unless you're EXP, or Plat Pro since there has been Plat Pro, you're going to earn stickers much more slowly than you will fly. I'm saving mine because I never know when I might have a really stressful trip and want to treat myself, or maybe have a traveling companion I want to impress.

Do people buy stickers and then try to upgrade as often as possible?

JDiver Apr 3, 2018 2:42 am

To be sure you understand the ins and outs of 500 mile upgrades, do take a look at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...questions.html, particularly reading the Wikipost.

USFlyerUS Apr 3, 2018 6:19 am

If the fare difference is less than $600 and if you really want to fly First, I'd call ASAP to just buy up to First and forget about using 500 mile upgrades. (IMHO) I'm having a little trouble understanding how you're determining these prices, though. What is the F fare PHL-PDX? Not the F fare PHL-LAX and then LAX-PDX.

wetrat0 Apr 3, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 29596419)
I'm curious about how people use their sticker upgrades. I've never used one.

I almost never flew AA before the merger, and when I was elite it was usually on US or DL, who both have unlimited free upgrades. Since the merger I've accumulated 11 stickers. They accrue pretty slowly, even not counting for the rounding-up you get stickers for 16% of your flown miles; used to be 20%.

In a couple weeks I'm flying PHL-LAX-PDX. Y was $183, F was $565, a difference of $380. It would take 7 stickers to upgrade, which would cost $280. By buying F I get extra EQMs, and I'd have almost no chance of being upgraded anyway on the PHL-LAX leg. Admittedly this is possibly an extreme example. I think paid PHL-LAX is about $220 in Y and $1020 in F, so that would be $800 fare difference vs. $200 worth of stickers. ("Hidden City" pricing is of course in play here, but no I'm not playing that game, I'm going to PDX.)

Unless you're EXP, or Plat Pro since there has been Plat Pro, you're going to earn stickers much more slowly than you will fly. I'm saving mine because I never know when I might have a really stressful trip and want to treat myself, or maybe have a traveling companion I want to impress.

For the most part, no. If you read the linked thread you will find many people have trouble using them at all. It's highly dependent on route, date, and time. Personally I have never had trouble using them but that makes me an exception on FT. Therefore, many people use the strategy of always requesting an upgrade. However, keep in mind that if you have requested an upgrade you must have the stickers in your account prior to check in or you will be taken off the upgrade list (and if you clear before check in, you must have the stickers at the time of check in).

On PHL-LAX-PDX I would be surprised if you clear PHL-LAX, although again it depends on the date and time-- Tuesday for instance would probably give you better luck than Friday. If you want to fly in F on your trip and you think it is worthwhile, I would strongly suggest just upfaring to F. As you said, you will earn extra EQM etc. If you are fine in MCE, then request the upgrade and there's a small chance you will be pleasantly surprised.

By the way one advantage of sticker upgrades is you can upgrade a single segment. So you could request the upgrade on PHL-LAX and not on LAX-PDX. That would only take 5 stickers and you might feel it is more worth it for the longer segment.

ijgordon Apr 3, 2018 8:00 am

They accrue pretty slowly, even not counting for the rounding-up you get stickers for 16% of your flown miles; used to be 20%.

That's not entirely correct. If you're only flying discount coach fare, you accrue them more slowly than you have in the past since now it takes 12,500 EQMs to earn 4x500 mile upgrades, vs. 10,000 actual miles in the past. If you fly paid business/first class on some flights, you earn EQMs much faster (50%-200% faster depending on fare class and whether you're flying AA or a partner). On an AA discount business/first fare (A/D/I) you earn 2.0x EQMs, so you only have to fly 6,250 actual miles to earn the 4x500's, which upgrades 32% of your flown miles. You'll get that (and then some) on one business class round-trip from NY to London, for example (in the past you'd need 1.5 r/ts).

Really would vary based on your personal situation. If you fly a lot of international business class but little domestic coach, then you'd probably have a surplus of stickers that you'd try to use whenever you can. If you only fly domestic coach fares, then you'll have to be more discerning about when you request stickers, unless you don't mind paying for extra ones.

redtop43 Apr 3, 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 29597094)
If the fare difference is less than $600 and if you really want to fly First, I'd call ASAP to just buy up to First and forget about using 500 mile upgrades. (IMHO) I'm having a little trouble understanding how you're determining these prices, though. What is the F fare PHL-PDX? Not the F fare PHL-LAX and then LAX-PDX.

I'm working a little from memory here, but I think the F fare PHL-PDX is $565, and PHL-LAX is $1020. So it's much cheaper if you continue on to PDX. That's why I referred to the hidden city trick - this would be a prime candidate route for using it, although I'm actually going to PDX. PHL-LAS is also about $615, so again cheaper to fly PHL-LAX-LAS than PHL-LAX.

I've bought F fares for upcoming trips to both destinations on the daily A330. I'm sure a lot of people like me will consider it more worthwhile to fly F when you're getting an A330 Envoy Suite than a regular domestic F seat. And likewise I'm sure more people would try to use sticker upgrades.

I do understand how they work. I was just curious about the volume of discussion about them, because AA is fairly stingy about giving them out.

mvoight Apr 3, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 29597929)
I'm working a little from memory here, but I think the F fare PHL-PDX is $565, and PHL-LAX is $1020. So it's much cheaper if you continue on to PDX. That's why I referred to the hidden city trick - this would be a prime candidate route for using it, although I'm actually going to PDX. PHL-LAS is also about $615, so again cheaper to fly PHL-LAX-LAS than PHL-LAX.

I've bought F fares for upcoming trips to both destinations on the daily A330. I'm sure a lot of people like me will consider it more worthwhile to fly F when you're getting an A330 Envoy Suite than a regular domestic F seat. And likewise I'm sure more people would try to use sticker upgrades.

I do understand how they work. I was just curious about the volume of discussion about them, because AA is fairly stingy about giving them out.

Violating AA's policies is something not encouraged on Flyertalk, and if you are not flying to PDX, buying PHL-LAX-PDX is a violation of AA's policies

USFlyerUS Apr 3, 2018 1:01 pm

Since you're going to PDX, I'm not sure how that's relevant. Plus, it violates the CoC and shouldn't be done regardless.

platbrownguy Apr 3, 2018 7:44 pm

("Hidden City" pricing is of course in play here, but no I'm not playing that game, I'm going to PDX.)

Not sure why you're opening up this can of worms. It's very common for AAA-BBB-CCC (where one or both of AAA or BBB is a hub, especially) to cost less than AAA-BBB. SDF-PHL (just over an hour) is regularly priced at $572 one way. SDF to PHL to just about anywhere on the eastern seaboard is a fraction of that (try SDF-PHL-MCO for $97, for example). It's just airline pricing. People are aware.

The practice of hidden-city ticketing is one of many observations you could make in discussing your question, but it has zero relevance to your question, so it makes sense that now you're getting exactly the responses you probably meant to preempt rather than invite.

As for your actual question, when I was gold & plat (and when my wife was gold), we would always put in for the upgrades. We had pretty good success (better than the average reported success here on FT) but mostly because of the DCA routes we were flying. Thus, every now and then we'd have a shortage in upgrades and I'd buy whatever we needed plus 4ish more a person. When I went from plat to EXP a few years ago I ended up with 20 or so stickers in my account, but I've used many of them upgrading co-workers so I'm down to 5. Wife is PPRO and just has the 14 in her account that she accrued in her last ~45k miles of flying, which was all from one trip in J last December. She'll probably drop back down to gold or plat next year and revert to applying them on every trip. Advice above is good re: picking/choosing which segments are "worth it," but of course PHL-LAX is more "worth it" and less "likely to clear" where as LAX-PDX may be less worth it but more likely to clear.

Final point, I wouldn't save stickers for that one trip where you really want to treat yourself or will be stressed. That'll end up being the day where you're #48 of 60 on the upgrade list with the flight oversold. When you want to treat yourself, buy F or fly private.

ijgordon Apr 4, 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 29599733)
Advice above is good re: picking/choosing which segments are "worth it," but of course PHL-LAX is more "worth it" and less "likely to clear" where as LAX-PDX may be less worth it but more likely to clear.

^ This is an important point worth highlighting. Which is why some of us request all segments and take what we can get. And yes, when it's important, just buy F or request a mileage upgrade (although those have become more difficult to confirm at booking with the switch from A to C inventory).

LovePrunes Apr 4, 2018 10:01 am

. I'm sure a lot of people like me will consider it more worthwhile to fly F when you're getting an A330 Envoy Suite than a regular domestic F seat.

sorry, but WT-F is an "envoy suite?"