FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1023487-aa-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

GetSetJetSet Feb 6, 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 30748274)

Travel alert for ORD this week. Ops anticipates those seats may be needed to re-accommodate paid Business/First? I find even on routes I routinely clear in advance become battlefield upgrades or no upgrades during IRROPS.

We'll see if tomorrow morning I have cleared into this empty cabin at t+24 check in time...

GetSetJetSet Feb 7, 2019 7:03 am

EWR-ORD cleared at t+26.5, the ORD-MSY hasn't cleared yet.

GetSetJetSet Feb 7, 2019 7:21 am

Odd, CLT-LGA return cleared 100h out but ORD-MSY and MSY-CLT still haven't what is ops doing regarding flights in and out of NOLA. Holding space on WIDE OPEN F cabins.

GetSetJetSet Feb 7, 2019 9:25 am

ORD-MSY cleared around 26h out.

GetSetJetSet Feb 8, 2019 12:08 pm

Lucky me. EWR-ORD went tech, rerouted through CLT to MSY and bumped out of F and back to Y on both legs.

JJeffrey Feb 8, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30750240)
ORD-MSY cleared around 26h out.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30749851)
Odd, CLT-LGA return cleared 100h out but ORD-MSY and MSY-CLT still haven't what is ops doing regarding flights in and out of NOLA. Holding space on WIDE OPEN F cabins.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30754737)
Lucky me. EWR-ORD went tech, rerouted through CLT to MSY and bumped out of F and back to Y on both legs.

With all due respect, this thread is about the policies, procedures, and processes surrounding AA's domestic UDU/500-mi upgrades. It is not the thread to continuously post whether you receive an upgrade or not on each and every flight.

jvel Feb 8, 2019 1:00 pm

For 500 mile "stickers", I thought those remained in your account unless the upgrade was actually confirmed? I have a pending upgrade request in and it pulled the stickers already. Maybe it's done that in the past as well, but I don't ever recall it working this way.

Shadowfactor Feb 16, 2019 9:39 am

Do you earn stickers upon earning gold status ?
or do the EQM only start counting once you acheive status ?

Flying 25K EQM for Gold should earn 8 stickers ? Is this not correct ?

Stripe Feb 16, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30785988)

You start earning stickers once you achieve status. Eight stickers upon earning status would be a nice gesture but this is AA.

FSUSeminole007 Feb 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Is it common for leisure routes to have unsold FC seats held from being given to EXP flyers in the hopes of selling upgrades or paid tickets up until the last minute.

I'm flying with my husband on the LAX-SJD nonstop tomorrow, with four open seats. I'm EXP, he's Plat Pro.

Our return leg from PHX to SEA has already cleared for next Wednesday, but both the LAX-SJD, and SJD-PHX both show open seats, but both haven't cleared. I've never seen that before.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

JDiver Feb 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 (Post 30786409)
Is it common for leisure routes to have unsold FC seats held from being given to EXP flyers in the hopes of selling upgrades or paid tickets up until the last minute.

I'm flying with my husband on the LAX-SJD nonstop tomorrow, with four open seats. I'm EXP, he's Plat Pro.

Our return leg from PHX to SEA has already cleared for next Wednesday, but both the LAX-SJD, and SJD-PHX both show open seats, but both haven't cleared. I've never seen that before.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, depending on the flight’s historical or predicted sales demand. And depending on what tool you’re using to look, empty seats do not mean unsold seats - only that the seats are unassigned. For example, a flight might show four unassigned seats, yet ExpertFlyer might show J2, D2, I0 - meaning only two seats are actually for sale. Or even, at least in theory, J0 could show.

coolcoil Feb 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by jvel (Post 30754964)
For 500 mile "stickers", I thought those remained in your account unless the upgrade was actually confirmed? I have a pending upgrade request in and it pulled the stickers already. Maybe it's done that in the past as well, but I don't ever recall it working this way.

I am 99% sure they stay in your account until you actually fly. They certainly should not be pulled when you only have an unconfirmed request.

dgparent Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm

What happens if you do not have enough stickers for the upgrade ? I need 4 only have 3 do not want to buy 4 more then not get the upgrade.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30785988)

No you do not earn stickers upon achieving GLD status. You would need to then fly an additional 12.5K miles to receive the first batch of 4 stickers and then 12.5K miles for the next batch and so on. You would never earn 8 stickers at one time. You could, however, purchase stickers upon achieving GLD status.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent (Post 30793620)
What happens if you do not have enough stickers for the upgrade ? I need 4 only have 3 do not want to buy 4 more then not get the upgrade.

You can request an upgrade without having the required stickers. If your upgrade clears then you would need to buy the stickers before checking in. Also, IIRC if your on the upgrade list and do not purchase the required stickers you can check in for your original coach seat but would be dropped from the upgrade list. In that case I would suggest holding off checking in until around T-1 and then checking where you stand on the list.

Shadowfactor Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30794108)
No you do not earn stickers upon achieving GLD status. You would need to then fly an additional 12.5K miles to receive the first batch of 4 stickers and then 12.5K miles for the next batch and so on. You would never earn 8 stickers at one time. You could, however, purchase stickers upon achieving GLD status.

thank you for explaining that.

im getting ready to do a AA platinum challenge but will hit AA platinum pro by the end of the year.

if I pay for the Platinum challenge to instantly obtain status. Will those initial EQM I fly start counting towards stickers ? Or will the same theory apply where I wouldn’t start earning stickers until flying atleast 25K EQM to achieve gold status the traditional way ?

I’m hoping to use them on a smaller Caribbean route two months later.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30794152)

thank you for explaining that.

im getting ready to do a AA platinum challenge but will hit AA platinum pro by the end of the year.

if I pay for the Platinum challenge to instantly obtain status. Will those initial EQM I fly start counting towards stickers ? Or will the same theory apply where I wouldn’t start earning stickers until flying atleast 25K EQM to achieve gold status the traditional way ?

I’m hoping to use them on a smaller Caribbean route two months later.

No those miles accrued during the Challenge will not count. You aren’t really purchasing PLT but paying a fee to conduct the Challenge for which you will need to meet the requirements. Obtaining achieving PLT status you can purchase stickers at $40 per 500 miles.

Shadowfactor Feb 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30794468)

No those miles accrued during the Challenge will not count. You aren’t really purchasing PLT but paying a fee to conduct the Challenge for which you will need to meet the requirements. Obtaining achieving PLT status you can purchase stickers at $40 per 500 miles.

I would be paying for both. I was going to pay for the $300 as I have several trips in PEY on AA where lounge access would come in handy.

So I would be paying the $300 for instant platinum status

JDiver Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30794539)

I would be paying for both. I was going to pay for the $300 as I have several trips in PEY on AA where lounge access would come in handy.

So I would be paying the $300 for instant platinum status

You would start running the miles odometer toward earning “stickers” as soon as you begin Platinum status.

plbonilla Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

On the three class transcon (specifically LAX->JFK), if I received the complimentary upgrade to business (as a PlatPro), is it possible to upgrade from there to first using miles and cash? My thinking is no, but it seems like a special situation where a domestic is three classes.

JJeffrey Feb 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by plbonilla (Post 30799297)
On the three class transcon (specifically LAX->JFK), if I received the complimentary upgrade to business (as a PlatPro), is it possible to upgrade from there to first using miles and cash? My thinking is no, but it seems like a special situation where a domestic is three classes.

Nope, double upgrades have never been possible on any AA 3-class flights (of course not including the very rare instances of oversold cabin rolls or other irrops, etc.).

Shadowfactor Feb 26, 2019 6:23 pm

Is it possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR using 500 mile upgrades ?
They are also booked in a different cabin then I am.

Currently booked in First class but my companion is booked on a separate PNR in Main Cabin.

coolcoil Feb 27, 2019 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30825529)
Is it possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR using 500 mile upgrades ?

Currently booked in First class but my companion is booked on a separate PNR in Main Cabin.

Yes, my buddy does it for colleagues often and they are always separate PNR’s. I believe you have to ask at the airport, but not 100% sure on that.

JJeffrey Feb 27, 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30825529)

It's definitely possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR, done it oodles of times over the years. You just have to call AA to set it up.

However, I doubt it will be possible in advance in this case as you typically need to be booked in the same cabin to extend upgrade and seating benefits to a companion. However, if the phone agents say no, but you happen to stumble on the rare flight where there are open seats in F at the gate and no one else on the upgrade list, I would certainly ask again at the gate.

Shadowfactor Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30826983)
It's definitely possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR, done it oodles of times over the years. You just have to call AA to set it up.

However, I doubt it will be possible in advance in this case as you typically need to be booked in the same cabin to extend upgrade and seating benefits to a companion. However, if the phone agents say no, but you happen to stumble on the rare flight where there are open seats in F at the gate and no one else on the upgrade list, I would certainly ask again at the gate.

Now that I’m starting to think about it and the route I don’t think they will end up getting upgraded. It’s not a super popular route but I’m sure it’s busy enough as it’s to LAX.

any way to get them MCE/preferred seating if I’m in a different cabin ?

JJeffrey Feb 27, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30827337)

Now that I’m starting to think about it and the route I don’t think they will end up getting upgraded. It’s not a super popular route but I’m sure it’s busy enough as it’s to LAX.

any way to get them MCE/preferred seating if I’m in a different cabin ?

No, no way to extend your preferred seating benefits when you're in a different cabin.

chix Mar 12, 2019 8:58 am

Any thoughts why Republic holds back on Elite upgrades until gate departure?

I should have cleared Sunday for a 2 day platinum upgrade for flight 4390 DCA-RDU on a E175 flight.

All 12 seats were open up until departure time.

The American check in agent said it this were the case on a mainline flight, it would have cleared Sunday.

GregL Mar 12, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by chix (Post 30877381)
Any thoughts why Republic holds back on Elite upgrades until gate departure?

Republic has nothing to do with it. American controls the reservation system and upgrade process.

RogerD408 Mar 12, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 30877416)
Republic has nothing to do with it. American controls the reservation system and upgrade process.

... and will point their fingers at anyone else they can to avoid having to dig in to solve an issue. :( Welcome to CSR 2019 (and many years earlier)

carsnoceans Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

What can be done with 25 or so 500mi upgrade certs in my account. No status anymore and don't plan on getting it either.

JJeffrey Mar 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 30887723)
What can be done with 25 or so 500mi upgrade certs in my account. No status anymore and don't plan on getting it either.

Nothing. They never expire, so if you were to gain status again you can use them.

platbrownguy Mar 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 30877416)

Indeed. I fly DCA-SDF & SDF-CLT-DCA on Mondays. Systematically, the first two segments (operated by PSA) clear at T-28 hours (and often the front cabin is entirely empty on each segment until that happens).

But CLT-DCA, operated by Republic, consistently clears at ~T-103 hours even when that upgrade gives me one of the last three or four seats available in the cabin.

It doesn't "make sense" to me that AA would give me the advance upgrade on the theoretically much-harder-to-clear CLT-DCA (and indeed there are often 15-20 or more on the upgrade list at the gate and 0-2 clear). Nor does it "make sense" that AA would withhold it at the 100-hour window on DCA-SDF or SDF-CLT.

But no one said it's supposed to make sense to us!

S.R Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Ok hoping someone can help with my situation. New to AA as I'm currently on a platinum pro gifted challenge.
So next week I'm flying IAH-DFW-AMA with a no status companion on same reservation. I'm pretty sure my upgrades are complimentary since its under 500 miles each segment, but how does it work for my companion? Do I need to buy 500 mile certs? And if so, do I need to buy 2 since its 2 segments? Do we even need the certs for her to get potentially upgraded? Do I need certs to get upgraded?

Any help is appreciated!

platbrownguy Mar 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 30915238)
Ok hoping someone can help with my situation. New to AA as I'm currently on a platinum pro gifted challenge.
So next week I'm flying IAH-DFW-AMA with a no status companion on same reservation. I'm pretty sure my upgrades are complimentary since its under 500 miles each segment, but how does it work for my companion? Do I need to buy 500 mile certs? And if so, do I need to buy 2 since its 2 segments? Do we even need the certs for her to get potentially upgraded? Do I need certs to get upgraded?

Any help is appreciated!

Yes you'll need 2 certs (1 for companion for each segment) if the upgrades clear, but you can wait until they clear to buy them, at least up until you go to the airport. If you haven't cleared by the time you go to the airport, then you should buy one upgrade (no need to buy two upfront, in case you don't clear IAH-DFW) and carry over to the airport waitlist.

S.R Mar 22, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30915504)
Yes you'll need 2 certs (1 for companion for each segment) if the upgrades clear, but you can wait until they clear to buy them, at least up until you go to the airport. If you haven't cleared by the time you go to the airport, then you should buy one upgrade (no need to buy two upfront, in case you don't clear IAH-DFW) and carry over to the airport waitlist.

Thanks! What happens if she does clear the upgrade before we get to the airport, but my account doesn't have any 500 certificates? Would she just get downgraded again? Because these are such short flights (about an hour each) not really sure its worth $40 per segment. And if we uncheck the request upgrade thing on the reservation where it says (1 passenger 500 mile cert for each segment) will that cause me to not get upgraded as well?
And if we both get upgraded but there are no certs in my account will we both be downgraded?

Also, does AA split up reservations if the upgrades don't clear prior to check in? UA does this, so not sure about AA.

Shadowfactor Mar 22, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 30916868)
Thanks! What happens if she does clear the upgrade before we get to the airport, but my account doesn't have any 500 certificates? Would she just get downgraded again? Because these are such short flights (about an hour each) not really sure its worth $40 per segment. And if we uncheck the request upgrade thing on the reservation where it says (1 passenger 500 mile cert for each segment) will that cause me to not get upgraded as well?
And if we both get upgraded but there are no certs in my account will we both be downgraded?

Also, does AA split up reservations if the upgrades don't clear prior to check in? UA does this, so not sure about AA.

I'm very new to platinum status as I just qualified for the first time. My understanding is that you can request upgrades without the 500 mile stickers being purchased but if the upgrades do clear you need to purchase them before you can check into the flight. I would imagine that if you checked in without purchasing the stickers you would loose the upgrade. I'm not sure how they work after you arrive at the airport and are placed on the airport waiting list.

If you are Platinum Pro. You don't need to worry about 500 mile upgrades in terms of upgrades for you.

AA will split the reservation, doing this should give you a better chance of being upgraded if there is only one seat left. The downside is that your companion will no lon ger receive any of the elite benefits they enjoyed because of you. This includes free checked baggage, free MCE seats etc.

platbrownguy Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 30916868)

1. If you clear before check in, you'll have to buy a cert to check in.

2. If you want to decline, then just tell the check in agent. I don't think there's an option to do so online or on the app.

3. If you uncheck the box now, then neither of you will be upgraded.

4. If you want to keep your freebie upgrade without your companion's chance of $40 upgrade, then call AA to split the reservation.

NYC Flyer Mar 23, 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30917832)
2. If you want to decline, then just tell the check in agent. I don't think there's an option to do so online or on the app.

On the app, you can abandon an unconfirmed upgrade in order to check-in. Once confirmed, you probably need to call first and get a seat assignment back in coach if you've changed your mind.

puchong Mar 25, 2019 6:48 am

Upgrading domestic coach to Business for Exec Plats

For an Exec Plat trying to get a complimentary upgrade from Y to J on an AA transcon, is it better to check-in on line as soon as OLCI opens or it it better to head to the airport early and complete the check-in process at the airport?

fotographer Mar 25, 2019 6:52 am

I don’t believe it matter either way
upgrades have levels starting with dollar spend first
then who knows
so you be be a EXP with let’s say $15k and another EXP could be $20k
guess who gets it first
just make when you get to the airport that you in fact on the upgrade list