FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1023487-aa-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

absoluy Aug 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 30102434)
Looks like the AA website has been changed so that you can no longer see how many more miles you need to fly to get 4 E-Upgrades.

Helpful, not.

You can still see this - go to https://www.aa.com/aadvantage-program/profile/wallet and it shows the "EQMs Needed" under the "500 mile upgrades" tile.

MathMusic Aug 20, 2018 9:59 am

Can you use 500 mile upgrades on award tickets? I'm only Platinum, and for my upcoming reward flight I don't see a request an upgrade button.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 20, 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 30105472)
Can you use 500 mile upgrades on award tickets? I'm only Platinum, and for my upcoming reward flight I don't see a request an upgrade button.

No. IIRC only EXP/CK can upgrade domestic award tixs.

MathMusic Aug 22, 2018 3:20 am

Another question, I had a sticker upgrade confirmed for this mornings flight DCA to BNA and the flight was cancelled. I was rebooked directly in first (without requesting the upgrade) on another flight PHL to BNA instead. Should I expect the stickers to still be pulled or will the IROPS work in my favor?

FSUSeminole007 Sep 6, 2018 8:32 pm

This may be a dumb question, but I just became Platinum Pro for the first time. Do I still have the ability to earn 500 mile upgrade stickers? My husband will only hit Platinum this year, and I want to be able to upgrade him when we fly together. In the American App Wallet section, the countdown of 'miles needed for 500 mile upgrade' section is now gone in my app.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

aacar Sep 6, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 (Post 30176624)
This may be a dumb question, but I just became Platinum Pro for the first time. Do I still have the ability to earn 500 mile upgrade stickers? My husband will only hit Platinum this year, and I want to be able to upgrade him when we fly together. In the American App Wallet section, the countdown of 'miles needed for 500 mile upgrade' section is now gone in my app.

Unfortunately, no.

Uncle Nonny Sep 6, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007 (Post 30176624)

Nope. You get complimentary upgrades and don't accrue any more 500's.

FSUSeminole007 Sep 9, 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 30176635)
Nope. You get complimentary upgrades and don't accrue any more 500's.

Originally Posted by aacar (Post 30176634)
Unfortunately, no.

thanks y'all.

jmail1 Sep 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 25949791)
You'll clear. It will probably not let you check in though. Then at check-in, you can tell them what account the stickers should come from.

I've been told two different things on this front, I was just told by the phone agent that you can designate whose account the stickers are pulled from by telling the gate agent. I've been told by a gate agent that it's not possible because it's locked to who requested the upgrade. This is critical for me as my wife has 70+ stickers and I have less than 10 now. Does status matter, meaning clearing upgrades with the higher status and pulling from the lower status account once you get to the gate? As of right now we're both PLT but she'll drop to Gold next year.

Thanks

JJeffrey Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1 (Post 30222524)
I've been told two different things on this front, I was just told by the phone agent that you can designate whose account the stickers are pulled from by telling the gate agent. I've been told by a gate agent that it's not possible because it's locked to who requested the upgrade. This is critical for me as my wife has 70+ stickers and I have less than 10 now. Does status matter, meaning clearing upgrades with the higher status and pulling from the lower status account once you get to the gate? As of right now we're both PLT but she'll drop to Gold next year.

Thanks

I've been told several times that for 2 people with status traveling together, in order for the lower status companion to 'piggyback' off the higher status companion for upgrade waitlist purposes, the stickers must come from the higher status person's account.

jmail1 Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30222705)
I've been told several times that for 2 people with status traveling together, in order for the lower status companion to 'piggyback' off the higher status companion for upgrade waitlist purposes, the stickers must come from the higher status person's account.

That doesn't surprise me, but what if our statuses are the same? Can we decide when we get to the gate? Otherwise I need to remove the upgrade and resubmit from my wife's account.

bworrell Sep 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1 (Post 30222808)
That doesn't surprise me, but what if our statuses are the same? Can we decide when we get to the gate? Otherwise I need to remove the upgrade and resubmit from my wife's account.

I was able to do this at the check-in counter (not gate) on my last trip. My no-status companion had stickers and I (EXP) did not. We cleared in advance and they were able to take the stickers from my companion's account.

RogerD408 Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30222705)

Yes, that is what you will hear from GAs that don't wish to do the work to change the rez or they haven't been trained on how to do it. Unfortunately they are usually the sole gatekeeper and you have no other choice, not that the other GA will do any different. It's totally a YMMV situation and what pressure the GA is under to get the flight out on time.

weezl Sep 23, 2018 8:34 pm

I got 17 stickers with that Plat "trial offer" last May, which just expired Sept 7. I never flew enough to get/keep status (I am at 22K YTD)
In August, I applied 5 stickers to a transcon flight. The itinerary shows them as "requested," but since I am no longer Plat, will they just fall off or otherwise be ignored?

FlyinMike Oct 1, 2018 7:31 am

When do they pull the stickers?

Flying phx-sea later today. Put in for the upgrade for 3 stickers. I noticed 3 stickers go away form my account yesterday, but reservation is still showing seat in Y. Should I get my hopes up, or do they just pull the stickers and then put them back if you don't get the upgrade?

355F1 Oct 1, 2018 9:13 am

My gf and I have yet to have any domestic stickers apply properly due to me having status and she having none.

If I were to buy some 500-Miles Stickers to use for her, should I buy them with MY AA account or hers so that they could be processed easier?

I am EXP, she has no status.

We are booked to Maui next and we always have to go to the gate to get her upgrade priority fixed.

One of the gate agents told me that the best way around this issue is to NOT put her AAdvantage number in the reservation and she would automatically inherit my EXP status on the UG list.

Rukes Oct 1, 2018 2:19 pm

Have a bit of an odd situation which might be sticker related.

I’m ExecPlat, booked a RT flight from LAX to Phoenix a month ago, all good.

Got upgraded a few days out on my outgoing flight. Upon attempting to check in for my return flight at the 24 hour mark on the app, it wouldn’t let me and said there was a problem with adding me to the upgrade list as a reason.

I check in at the Phoenix airport at the self kiosk; I have 10A (exit row). Get asked if i’m ok for exit row seat. But when printed, I have no seat assignment and I get a voucher.

Lookinng at the flight, only 4F is open in first and i’m #3 on the upgrade list, so i figure my chances are not good, but then I get to the gate and get even more confused.

The GA was pretty confused at the situation to begin with and couldn’t understand what was happening. Attempting to reprint the boarding pass was giving me no seat assignment, even though he can see I was in 10A and my app shows 10A.

He releases me, then re-adds me and prints the boarding pass and it comes out automatically as 4C, a seat already assigned according to the seatmap.

He then changes it to 10A just fine, but considering the system automatically put me in first made me wonder: did I automatically get upgraded to first days ago, but the seat/itin was not automatically changed to first? That would explain why it wouldn’t add me to the upgrade list at check in, as I was automatically ugpraded. This plus automatically getting 4C leads me to believe that...but the GA was adamant that I was #3 on the list and it would be impossible. Does the upgrade list get made only at the 4 hour mark, so if I was top on the non-airport list, it wouldn’t have bearing after the 4 hour mark list?

Anyone have any ideas what went on?

FlyinMike Oct 1, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinMike (Post 30266202)
Flying phx-sea later today. Put in for the upgrade for 3 stickers. I noticed 3 stickers go away form my account yesterday, but reservation is still showing seat in Y. Should I get my hopes up, or do they just pull the stickers and then put them back if you don't get the upgrade?

Well, number 8 on the list, but they took 3 stickers anyway. Guess I'll call, or ask at the airport why.

bernyx Oct 10, 2018 6:10 am

500 mile upgrade award question

I have 10 of these, but I'm not an elite member, are they useless to me or is there a way to use them?

wetrat0 Oct 10, 2018 6:25 am

They are useless to you but they don't expire. Discussed comprehensively here: <link removed after thread merge> (search term "500 mile upgrade")

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 10, 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by bernyx (Post 30299080)
I have 10 of these, but I'm not an elite member, are they useless to me or is there a way to use them?

They can't be used unless you reach at least GLD status. However, they never expire.

ibrandsguest Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am

500-mile E-upgrades vanished from account?

I'm confused:

I had 4 500 mile E-upgrades. Now, when I go to "Wallet" in the AA app or on the AA website, it shows 1.

If I click on Activity, it shows that in the last 365 days, I earned, say, 12 500-upgrades and used 11, and thus have 1 left. But I never had zero 500-mile upgrades 365 days ago; I had I think 3 then, so the issue seems to be that AA erased the number of 500-mile upgrades that I had a year ago and is starting with 0 a year ago when it should be starting with 3.

The last time that I redeemed an upgrade was in July 2018, and I know that I had 4 well after July.

Would a request to AA on Twitter get this fixed, or is it a systemwide issue affecting everyone?

Thanks.

FlyinMike Oct 16, 2018 8:16 am

Same here. Account has been showing 0 for weeks now. I've called and they tell me the correct number, so it's just a display problem in the app and website.

They have told me that they will get it fixed twice now.

Uncle Nonny Oct 16, 2018 8:27 am

Doesn't effect everyone but it is a common occurrence. It usually fixes itself. I've had them float in and out of my account but they've always been restored.

scottinaz Oct 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I am confused about automatic upgrades for elites. My wife and I are booked from PHX-CLT-RIC. Shortly after booking this flight I got an email from American with the message "We’re unable to automatically request 500-mile upgrades because you’re traveling with someone not eligible for complimentary upgrades."
Can someone explain this message to me? I am lifetime GOLD as a million miler but my wife has no elite status. Does the complimentary upgrade for flights under 500 miles (CLT-RIC) not apply when an elite is travelling with a non elite? Even so would I not get an automatic upgrade as a Gold member?

aktchi Oct 20, 2018 12:21 am

Originally Posted by scottinaz (Post 30335085)
I am confused about automatic upgrades for elites. My wife and I are booked from PHX-CLT-RIC. Shortly after booking this flight I got an email from American with the message "We’re unable to automatically request 500-mile upgrades because you’re traveling with someone not eligible for complimentary upgrades."
Can someone explain this message to me? I am lifetime GOLD as a million miler but my wife has no elite status. Does the complimentary upgrade for flights under 500 miles (CLT-RIC) not apply when an elite is travelling with a non elite? Even so would I not get an automatic upgrade as a Gold member?

As your travel companion is not eligible, AA is simply not sure how you'd want to handle this. Some would find it awkward to be upgraded, leaving the companion in coach (imagine if the companion was a business colleague or even your boss). So it is left to you to request an ug or not.

You can call and get yourself listed for upgrade. You can also request an upgrade for your wife as well---it will cost 1 sticker; if you don't have one in your account, it can be purchased for $40 I believe.

Be prepared to face a rather common dilemma if your ug comes thru but your wife's does not. In that situation, I suggest you send her to First Class and you sit in coach. :)

RogerD408 Oct 20, 2018 8:01 am

This does sound confusing. Presuming you are on the same PNR, are these tickets using miles or cash? If cash, then you should be able to upgrade a companion and even if you don't have enough 500-mile upgrades in your account, you have until check-in to acquire them via purchase by cash or miles. The system is set to upgrade both or none unless you split her off.

JJeffrey Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am

Just disregard that email, I have received it a few times even as an EXP, I honestly have no idea what it means. You can of course request upgrades for you and your wife.

scottinaz Oct 20, 2018 11:12 am

So it appears that non elites are not eligible for complimentary upgrades even when travelling with an elite on the same PNR. That was not clear from reading the upgrade descriptions from AA.

RogerD408 Oct 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by scottinaz (Post 30336684)
So it appears that non elites are not eligible for complimentary upgrades even when travelling with an elite on the same PNR. That was not clear from reading the upgrade descriptions from AA.

No, they do not get a free upgrade, but the elite can pony up 500-mile upgrades to travel together. Again, how are the tickets being paid for?

scottinaz Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

The tickets were purchased and I am allowed to use 500 mile certificates to upgrade both of us but I would think I would not need one since I am eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

RogerD408 Oct 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by scottinaz (Post 30337211)
The tickets were purchased and I am allowed to use 500 mile certificates to upgrade both of us but I would think I would not need one since I am eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Typically they deposit a new 500-mile upgrade to provide the complementary upgrade. So as long as you have one in your account, you should be good to go. How many do you have now?

aktchi Oct 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30336042)
The system is set to upgrade both or none unless you split her off.

Presumably that is why OP has not been automatically listed for upgrade. He has to decide what he wants: split the PNR or request an upgrade for his wife as well.

slice Dec 23, 2018 11:50 am

I'm traveling Mexico-US with an infant (lap) and just had an upgrade clear. It's telling me I need stickers for both the infant and me. Is this correct? If so, I'm going to ask for the downgrade since I'm short on stickers and not worth purchasing for this short-ish leg.

Update: Did not need stickers for infant. Just an issue/bug with app.

ceolife Dec 29, 2018 9:25 am

Are My First Class Upgrade Benefits Useless?

Hey gang... fairly new to AA (been Platinum in 2018 and will be Pro in 2019) but rarely traveled them prior to a move from the west coast for work.

For a number of reasons, I ALWAYS travel First Class. I'm 6'4", slightly overweight, and I have a bad back requiring me to frequently kind of adjust my seating position and relieve some pressure on my tailbone. Plus, I get a little anxious sitting too close to other folks. So, for the last five years I've been fortunate enough to only fly in 1st. I'll even go out of my way to choose flights that have availability in first, even if it sometimes means an inconvenient route or staying a day longer than anticipated at my destination city, for example.

My question is this... I've racked up over 35 500-Mile upgrades with AA. I've never attempted to use them, because my understanding is that I'm not guaranteed a First Class seat. Doesn't this make the upgrade benefits nearly useless for me?

HLCinCOU Dec 29, 2018 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ceolife (Post 30585065)
Hey gang... fairly new to AA (been Platinum in 2018 and will be Pro in 2019) but rarely traveled them prior to a move from the west coast for work.

For a number of reasons, I ALWAYS travel First Class.

My question is this... I've racked up over 35 500-Mile upgrades with AA. I've never attempted to use them, because my understanding is that I'm not guaranteed a First Class seat. Doesn't this make the upgrade benefits nearly useless for me?

If you only ever fly in first, and if you intend for that to be the case indefinitely, then they are useless to you personally. However, you can use them to upgrade other people if you want. Or you can book coach sometimes when you see a flight that is really wide-open and hope to get the upgrade; obviously that leaves you with the risk you'll end up in coach.

ijgordon Dec 29, 2018 11:07 am

If you're within your status upgrade window (e.g., T-72h for Platinum), you can request the upgrade during the booking process on AA.com, and if there's availability then your upgrade should clear even before you finish purchasing the ticket. I wouldn't expect this to happen often, but it's worth checking if you're booking close-in.

And of course, once you achieve Platinum Pro, you will stop accumulating the 500-mile upgrades, so you don't have to complain about receiving a worthless benefit. ;)

ceolife Dec 29, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30585327)
If you're within your status upgrade window (e.g., T-72h for Platinum), you can request the upgrade during the booking process on AA.com, and if there's availability then your upgrade should clear even before you finish purchasing the ticket. I wouldn't expect this to happen often, but it's worth checking if you're booking close-in.

And of course, once you achieve Platinum Pro, you will stop accumulating the 500-mile upgrades, so you don't have to complain about receiving a worthless benefit. ;)

Haha...

I didn't think about close-in booking that way, so that's helpful. Most of my trips are planned out 2-3 weeks in advance, but the occasional quick-trip comes up and that may be one way I can utilize the benefit without sweating it.

Thanks for that!

donotblink Dec 29, 2018 12:13 pm

500 mile upgrades never expire, so maybe if in the future you get into a physical state where flying coach is ok with you you can use them at that time.

Stripe Dec 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Since you'll be Platinum Pro in 2019 the 500-mile upgrades will be even more useless, as your domestic upgrades from coach to first would be complimentary.