Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
PBI-LGA over by 6 this afternoon... started at $500 and ended up getting $2000.

Spent another night in Palm Beach but they were offering taxi to Miami and a nonstop to NYC (only had coach available and I was booked in J)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 2212 the 11:55 AM RDU-DFW was oversold by one today. They offered $500 and a rebooking on the next flight which was at 2:43 PM I believe. I had to turn it down as there was no way to get me to final destination until much later.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was flying from LHR to DFW (AA81) on Jan 5th. LHR was a mess with dozens of flights getting cancelled due to the weather in the East Coast. I was flying business class and saw the lines of people waiting for seat assignment. I volunteered proactively but in the end they told me that they won't need my seat. I settled in my seat and like 5 minutes before scheduled departure a gentleman comes in and asks me if I'm still willing to give my seat for $800 and a confirmed seat on a flight to my destination 1 hour later. I picked up my stuff and got off the plane where there were a couple of IDBs fighting with the gate agents. Apparently, there was an equipment change which complicated things. Also, in business class, there were two people with the exact same first and last name (one was a pilot). I think somehow the gate agents got confused and boarded both of them but didn't allocate seats for both. The agents were really stressed out since they wouldn't be able to close the door on time (flight left 10 mins late or so). Ended up flying on AA 135 which was also packed to the gills.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ngls
I was flying from LHR to DFW (AA81) on Jan 5th....

Ended up flying on AA 135 which was also packed to the gills.
So were you flying originally LHR-DFW-LAX and AA135 LHR-LAX got you to your final destination without a plane change? Or were you flying LHR-DFW and AA135 meant you flew LHR-LAX-DFW instead?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by salut0

So were you flying originally LHR-DFW-LAX and AA135 LHR-LAX got you to your final destination without a plane change? Or were you flying LHR-DFW and AA135 meant you flew LHR-LAX-DFW instead?
I was flying LHR-DFW-SMF and I flew instead LHR-LAX-SMF. I ended up arriving a few hours later but it was worth it in my opinion as I had the weekend to relax.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Using a 13K reduced mileage award between CVG and ORD (Cincinnati to Chicago). Oversold, they needed 5 seats (likely to get a flight crew to get back to Chicago) ... started at $500 and quickly ended up at a $1000 voucher. They even booked me on a next United flight just 2.5 hours later.

I always liked the threads asking how much redemption airline miles are worth (typically 0.5 cents per mile). In this case, if they really need the seat, they can buy at 7.7 cents per mile.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
[DELETE] Just noticed the IDB thread, this belongs there...

Last edited by frb98mf; Jan 21, 2018 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k
LGA-MEM yesterday (2/15) was looking for seven volunteers and offering $2,500 vouchers, hotel and flight out the next morning. GA even threatened to cancel the flight if they didn't get enough, which made absolutely no sense to me. It took a while, but they apparently got enough people. I would have jumped at it, but I wasn't on the flight - just an interested bystander in the absolute pit of the D9 gate area at LGA.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by flymonthly
LGA-MEM yesterday (2/15) was looking for seven volunteers and offering $2,500 vouchers, hotel and flight out the next morning. GA even threatened to cancel the flight if they didn't get enough, which made absolutely no sense to me. It took a while, but they apparently got enough people. I would have jumped at it, but I wasn't on the flight - just an interested bystander in the absolute pit of the D9 gate area at LGA.
What happened? Was it an aircraft downgauge?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Two occurrences today:

1) CLE-->ORD oversold by two, $600 was offered and one of the takers needed a hotel room which was also provided. (If I was on my way home instead of work I would have jumped at it).

2) On my connection in ORD, the gate next to mine was ORD-->BOI. Oversold by 8, and $2000 was offered with the substituted flights ORD-->DFW-->BOI arriving about 6 hours later than original arrival time. I actually said out loud "I wish I was going to Boise!"
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I would have jumped at it, but I wasn't on the flight - just an interested bystander in the absolute pit of the D9 gate area at LGA.
Regarding gates, you’d like this discussion then!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
My CLT-DFW this Sunday seems overbooked (Y0, C0, very late afternoon, end of spring holidays, not on sale since several days). I´d like to volunteer if they need it although the chances to get some voucher $$ are always pretty low.

Question: all the volunteers receive the same $$ voucher compensation (like on UA) or if they raise the offer and you volunteered before, you get the lower amount?

Thx
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Marcin83
My CLT-DFW this Sunday seems overbooked (Y0, C0, very late afternoon, end of spring holidays, not on sale since several days). I´d like to volunteer if they need it although the chances to get some voucher $$ are always pretty low.

Question: all the volunteers receive the same $$ voucher compensation (like on UA) or if they raise the offer and you volunteered before, you get the lower amount?

Thx
All volunteers end up getting the higher bump rate. This prevents an overall delay in the process of actually getting volunteers in that people are not all waiting for a “higher” amount.
Marcin83 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Does AA handle oversales if the flight is a codeshare (marketed by AY, AA operated) any differently? I'm currently booked on a LHR-CLT-MIA routing where the LHR-CLT flight looks just about full. Would they move me to a non-stop to MIA either on AA or BA? Honestly that be a preferred routing for me. Do they start soliciting when check-in opens or only at the airport?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Does AA handle oversales if the flight is a codeshare (marketed by AY, AA operated) any differently? I'm currently booked on a LHR-CLT-MIA routing where the LHR-CLT flight looks just about full. Would they move me to a non-stop to MIA either on AA or BA? Honestly that be a preferred routing for me. Do they start soliciting when check-in opens or only at the airport?

Thanks!
Doesn't matter who the market carrier is, only who the operating carrier is. If they have space on the non-stop, I'm sure they'd rebook you on it. Unlike UA, they only handle VDBs at the airport (or occasionally via a phone call beforehand for premium cabin pax).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.