FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1009947-aa-bump-rates-compensation-vdb-voluntary-denied-boarding-master-thread.html)

The Weekly Flyer Oct 25, 2009 6:20 pm

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

I'm a Delta refugee trying out AA this week.

Tonight my flight from MIA is oversold and they will need volunteers.

My question is: What is the typical AA bump offer for an overnight stay of around 10 hours?

HNL Oct 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyfarfar (Post 12707625)
I'm a Delta refugee trying out AA this week.

Tonight my flight from MIA is oversold and they will need volunteers.

My question is: What is the typical AA bump offer for an overnight stay of around 10 hours?

$$ amount varies on how bad they want volunteer(s). If it's over night then it will include hotel and vouchers to cover the minimal cost of meals at the hotel. Voucher will be good for 12 months.

The Weekly Flyer Oct 25, 2009 6:37 pm

They are offering 300 for a flight that will get me in 12 hours later.

Is that fair value?

zybysky Oct 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyfarfar (Post 12707692)

Is that fair value?

Fair if they're also providing you with a hotel and meal voucher.

HNL Oct 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Is that fair value?

how much is your time worth? Only you can answer that question.

kaztm Oct 26, 2009 3:14 am

Looks like 5 passengers aboard AA61 DFW-NRT were bumped in the air this afternoon.
I do not know what compensation is standard for that kind of bump...:p

Traviss Oct 26, 2009 4:16 am

Not an exact equivalent but they were offering $800 for LHR-JFK bumps on Saturday which we took, swapping an 8.30am flight for the 4.45pm one...

T

ty97 Oct 26, 2009 4:56 am

Is that fair value?

Fair value is a judgment call you will have to make. I will say that $300 seems to be in the common range for AA, for a bump like this. I believe they highest I've ever seen is $350. (but I don't see bumps often)

ORDinaryPax Oct 26, 2009 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 12709490)
Fair value is a judgment call you will have to make. I will say that $300 seems to be in the common range for AA, for a bump like this. I believe they highest I've ever seen is $350. (but I don't see bumps often)

I got $500 for a voluntary bump a few days before Christmas 2007. So, it all depends on how badly they need volunteers -- i.e., how many seats they need to free up.

Btw, my understanding is that they have to give the same amount to all bumped pax on the same flight, so you should always be sure to ask if a higher value was given out to someone else when they are preparing your voucher.

AAerSTL Oct 26, 2009 10:48 am

Is that fair value?

That's a subjective question you need to ask and decide for yourself. $300/12 hours=$25/hour

While it may certainly be worthwhile to John Smith, it may not be worthwhile to Jon Smith.

Alex_I Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

$300 for a mainland bump are fairly standard now days. An overnight bump about 10 years ago would be $500 + hotel and food. I do not think you can go that high anymore.

Tries Oct 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I (Post 12711417)
$300 for a mainland bump are fairly standard now days. An overnight bump about 10 years ago would be $500 + hotel and food. I do not think you can go that high anymore.

I got it this year in May at mainland route.
ORD-SFO, $500 'DV' + hotel. No food stamps were offered though, but I haven't required them. :)

i_fly_AA Oct 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I (Post 12711417)

I'd say that AA (and probably other airlines) have anomalies when it comes to this. Example: I was in LGA headed to I forget where, and there was a nearby flight to ORD that was oversold and they were offering a $300 voucher to take the next flight which would depart in less than an hour after the oversold one. Recently, I was in ORD at the Eagle concourse and a nearby ORD-ICT flight was oversold. They were offering a $200 voucher for a flight that would depart over 5 hours later. Where's the logic there? I suspect it has something to do with the first case being AA versus the second case being AE, but still. There's no balance in supply and demand there. In the LGA-ORD case, I'd think that there were plenty people volunteering for this but in the ORD-ICT case, they'd probably be hard pressed to find someone.

mvoight Oct 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Is that fair value?

17 minutes later and they are still asking?
Maybe they might up it

TigerWould Oct 27, 2009 4:28 am

On a previous connecting flight AA offered $500 for volunteers. When I approached the counter I wouldve been #12 on the volunteer list. I asked the agent if I volunteer for $400 instead of the $500 could he put me as #1? He said YES, of course. They needed 6 passengers and I received my $400 voucher and was rebooked on CO, 6 hrs later.