Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by writetorich
If one accepts an $800 voucher and buys a flight for $ 500 do they lose or retain the "remaining" $300
You get a new voucher in the mail for $300. And the expiration date is a new expiration date, one year from the date the new voucher is issued.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
VBD Vouchers Count Towards MQD?

Not sure if this has been discussed somewhere else, but wondering if VDB vouchers count towards MQD?

I know it does on DL, but wondering if these vouchers are 'same as cash' and will count toward our MQD progress?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ridepow
Not sure if this has been discussed somewhere else, but wondering if VDB vouchers count towards MQD?

I know it does on DL, but wondering if these vouchers are 'same as cash' and will count toward our MQD progress?
Yes it counts towards MQD
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Phx-Mco

Took a bump March 10 on the afternoon non-stop and was rerouted via Miami. Original offer was $300 and a seat 11 hours later on the red-eye. I had volunteered as I arrived to PHX from a connection and at the gate advised I would do it for $500 and a reroute arriving later the same evening. Gate agent had to get authorization. Was looking for 3 and got 2 volunteers after she announced the $500 to general public. Only ended needing 2 volunteers in the end. Arrival was 3 1/2 hrs later than non stop. I only ended up with 30 mins to connect at MIA; fortunately connecting gate was only 3 gates away! Bonus - got 100% Alaska miles instead of 25% as the rebook was to Y class.

$300 for an 11 hr delay seems insulting

Last edited by Altaflyer; Mar 16, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
$300 for an 11 hr delay seems insulting
UA routinely has offered $150 for overnight VDB's out of IAH. I must admit, once I was desperate enough to save some $$$ that I took it.

I still have yet to be on an AA flight requesting volunteers, despite my best efforts. I would have thought at least a few of the ORD-->DFW flights would have needed some!

Are VDB offers ever presented during online checkin with AA, like they are for UA or DL?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by plinth857
UA routinely has offered $150 for overnight VDB's out of IAH. I must admit, once I was desperate enough to save some $$$ that I took it.

I still have yet to be on an AA flight requesting volunteers, despite my best efforts. I would have thought at least a few of the ORD-->DFW flights would have needed some!

Are VDB offers ever presented during online checkin with AA, like they are for UA or DL?
I've never seen it in 200+ segments the last 2 years.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
I've never seen it in 200+ segments the last 2 years.
DFW-PHL last Sunday night--last flight of the night. Flights next morning were full as well. Needed 4 volunteers to fly out next day and connect to PHL via CLE (arrive in PHL at 200p or so)--Offered $500.00 vouchers and a room in the DFW Grand Hyatt. Only ended up needing 1 volunteer as 3 others misconnected from an international arrival into DFW.

I needed to be in PHL for a meeting Monday midday, or I would have been all over that $500 offer and night in the Grand Hyatt.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DrinkRaiderade
DFW-PHL last Sunday night--last flight of the night. Flights next morning were full as well. Needed 4 volunteers to fly out next day and connect to PHL via CLE (arrive in PHL at 200p or so)--Offered $500.00 vouchers and a room in the DFW Grand Hyatt. Only ended up needing 1 volunteer as 3 others misconnected from an international arrival into DFW.

I needed to be in PHL for a meeting Monday midday, or I would have been all over that $500 offer and night in the Grand Hyatt.
Interesting connection in CLE... probably since AA flies to both hubs and usually has a couple seats left on each flight. I've actually never in my experience heard an AA solicitation for a volunteer going to or from CLE. Plenty of solicitations from DL and UA there, though.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I may do a Milage Run the day after thanksgiving, do you guys think they may need volunteers on Friday and Sunday? I never flow the weekend after thanksgiving and my route will be MIA-ORD-DFW on Friday and ORD-DFW-MIA on Sunday.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by fedechat
I may do a Milage Run the day after thanksgiving, do you guys think they may need volunteers on Friday and Sunday? I never flow the weekend after thanksgiving and my route will be MIA-ORD-DFW on Friday and ORD-DFW-MIA on Sunday.

Thank you in advance.
The sunday after is probably one of the better chances compared to the rest of the year, but no one can know for sure. If you're booking solely to try and get (a very mediocre bump amount), it's a big gamble with low payoff.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
The sunday after is probably one of the better chances compared to the rest of the year, but no one can know for sure. If you're booking solely to try and get (a very mediocre bump amount), it's a big gamble with low payoff.
This is actually for a MR on that weekend, I just have to take the earlier flight from MIA to ORD/DFW, I will have 3 hours on both airports so I have 1 or 2 flights available after that before the international flight, on the return I will have just one flight after mine for ORD-DFW leg.

Thank you, I may give AA a chance
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:24 am

Such a fruitless effort for me. CLT-DFW this morning. Saw the flight was full, and proactively volunteered at T-50. About T-40 announced over by 6 and $500.

They ended up having me board at the very end, but none of the other volunteers. I was connecting to Denver and there was a nonstop two hours later from CLT I thought was a sure fire thing; guess not.

Really could of used some vouchers, and it is frusturating because now I'll have to wait an extra half hour at Denver because I had to check my bag to DIA (and they had to remove me from the upgrade list). They gave some of the people without seats exit row to finally rub more salt in the wound.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Such a fruitless effort for me. CLT-DFW this morning. Saw the flight was full, and proactively volunteered at T-50. About T-40 announced over by 6 and $500.

They ended up having me board at the very end, but none of the other volunteers. I was connecting to Denver and there was a nonstop two hours later from CLT I thought was a sure fire thing; guess not.

Really could of used some vouchers, and it is frusturating because now I'll have to wait an extra half hour at Denver because I had to check my bag to DIA (and they had to remove me from the upgrade list). They gave some of the people without seats exit row to finally rub more salt in the wound.
I'm sorry to hear that; this happened to me recently where I was unneeded at the last moment and I had to check my bag. In fact, it's now been the longest I've ever gone between getting a VDB (about 20 months now).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:54 pm

PHL-TPA

They needed 2 volunteers to accept a reroute arriving 5 hours later via CLT for $300.

Everyone boarded, they ended up only needing 1, but with no other volunteers gave myself and my wife the bump. In the mean time a pair of seats opened on the next PHL-TPA which at that point was only 30 minutes away from boarding. Probably should have asked for more, but considering I only arrived home 30 minutes later than my original delayed flight, I can't complain.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Volunteered, not used, return flights cancelled

Apologies in advance is this has been discussed before but last weekend I offered to be bumped on a flight from DFW to MCO. I discussed options with the gate agent and we agreed that if needed I would take a flight connecting through MIA. The gate agent also told me that I’d be backed up on a later direct flight in case there were issues with the connection in MIA. When boarding began, I checked with the gate agent and was told that they wouldn't use me. So I went ahead and boarded. I noticed that my name had dropped off the upgrade list (I had been first) but didn’t say anything because it appeared that no one else cleared an upgrade. Unfortunately, when I went to check in for my return flight, the flights I’d booked disappeared from the AA app and weren’t available on aa.com. I called and was told that my return flight had been cancelled (presumably because I’d been booked on the DFW-MIA flight but didn’t take it because I wasn’t bumped). The agent restored my reservation but told me that I would have to accept a middle seat on the first leg and a coach seat on the final leg (for the latter the upgrade had been already been confirmed). I expressed, somewhat forcefully, concern about this solution and ultimately the agent confirmed a first-class seat on both flights.
The lesson here for me is not to count on any confirmed future flights that are made as part of the negotiation for VDB being cancelled if I end up taking my original flight. I will be making sure the GA does that before I board if I volunteer again... Anyone else had this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.