Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Did they provide a reason why it was delayed so much and WHY it's in DFW of all places? Is that where all unclaimed baggage go for AA?
That's one of the great mysteries of life. I doubt OP will ever receive an explanation of how it got there. The important thing is it's been found and is being returned.

Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Does AA compensate well for IRROPS like UA does? I mean there's a whole thread dedicated to compensations received from UA but I haven't seen one for AA.
Haven't looked very hard, have you?

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by barnetda
She was on 2 seperate tickets.

Orlando to LAX on American.

LAX to Sydney on Virgin Australia.

Her bags could only be checked to LAX
Although 2 separate tickets means that neither carrier is responsible for a passenger misconnect, ordinarily there would be nothing to prevent bags from being through-checked. Certainly you could do this with most carriers, even between alliances and on different tickets. Unless Virgin Australia is a carrier that generally doesn't interline (like Southwest in the US), perhaps you were just mis-informed on this issue at check-in in Orlando. An advantage of through-checking in this case is that once the bag was found, they would have transported it to Sydney at their expense.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by Steve M
Although 2 separate tickets means that neither carrier is responsible for a passenger misconnect, ordinarily there would be nothing to prevent bags from being through-checked. Certainly you could do this with most carriers, even between alliances and on different tickets. Unless Virgin Australia is a carrier that generally doesn't interline (like Southwest in the US), perhaps you were just mis-informed on this issue at check-in in Orlando. An advantage of through-checking in this case is that once the bag was found, they would have transported it to Sydney at their expense.

Steve thanks for the info.
AA said she couldnt through check and had to collect bags in LA.
To be fair to them the "lost" baggage desk did offer to send the bag if/when they found them to Sydney on Qantas but to be quite honest we both felt that we had little confidence with the system and of course would not be able to determine what is missing (if anything) until Bag arrived in Sydney.

Heading off to the airport shortly hoping to get the bag back and then my son will take it to sydney next week. I have to convince AA not to charge him for excess baggage though , i think that would finally set me off!!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I think they are going to charge for excess baggage and to be honest, I don't think you can complain about that.

This is all certainly only my opinion, but they offered to send the bags to Sydney at their expense, and that is a generous offer that you shouldn't have passed up. Now that you and your daughter have made the choice to not take that offer, all bets are off. Also, since your daughter is in Sydney, she's the only one that really CAN determine if something is missing, so really she won't know what's missing until her brother gets the bags to her in Sydney, so that's probably not the best argument to use!

With all this said, good luck, and I hope that they don't charge you!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by sandsunsurf
I think they are going to charge for excess baggage and to be honest, I don't think you can complain about that.

This is all certainly only my opinion, but they offered to send the bags to Sydney at their expense, and that is a generous offer that you shouldn't have passed up. Now that you and your daughter have made the choice to not take that offer, all bets are off. Also, since your daughter is in Sydney, she's the only one that really CAN determine if something is missing, so really she won't know what's missing until her brother gets the bags to her in Sydney, so that's probably not the best argument to use!

All a bit premature as i havent got the bag in my hand yet.

I think you could be right in that they will try and charge excess . The reason we got them sent here was the baggage desk at LAX did not fill her with confidence.
We know what gifts we bought her and my wife helped pack her bag so i tihnk we will be able to spot if any major item has gone.
The fact is they missed her connection and as you rightly say they would have sent them via qantas to Sydney and then via a courier co to my daughters house. If that is less than $90 excess charge i will be stunned.
But surely bearing in mind the circumstances its not unfair to ask them to waive the charge.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by sandsunsurf
This is all certainly only my opinion, but they offered to send the bags to Sydney at their expense, and that is a generous offer that you shouldn't have passed up. Now that you and your daughter have made the choice to not take that offer, all bets are off. ...

Agreed. I think, though, that the OP's son should explain the situation at check-in. Hopefully the agent will waive the excess bag fee even though AA isn't obligated to do so.

But surely bearing in mind the circumstances its not unfair to ask them to waive the charge.
It's certainly worth a try.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA-1k and missing CO AA EXP
I am a little confused. Why is the bag going back to Florida? I would have AA send it on to a next flight to your daughter as it is their fault. How is you son going in a week going to help her with her clothes, toothbrush etc etc.???
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by tish50
I am a little confused. Why is the bag going back to Florida?
The OP has already explained that decision.

To be fair to them the "lost" baggage desk did offer to send the bag if/when they found them to Sydney on Qantas but to be quite honest we both felt that we had little confidence with the system and of course would not be able to determine what is missing (if anything) until Bag arrived in Sydney.
The reason we got them sent here was the baggage desk at LAX did not fill her with confidence.
We know what gifts we bought her and my wife helped pack her bag so i tihnk we will be able to spot if any major item has gone.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hopefully, the son will be able to check bags all the way through, so we won't get "Lost baggage part deux".
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:19 pm

An update.

I got the bag off of the carosel at Tampa airport. Looking at the tags the bags did make it to LA but for some reason didnt go the final few yards to the belt in LA.

Nothing missing and all intact.

I spoke to a AA official who was sympathetic to the excess charge and told me to speak to a supervisor when my son checks in on Sunday. Its now more of a principle thing as i dont think its fair that i should have to pay $90 to effectively get her bags back to LA.

A funny incident though at TPA. We collected the bag as it came off the DFW flight with everyone elses. My wife took it to the car park, but i thought it would be common decency of me to inform the baggage staff that i had collected it. I went to the baggage office and lined up, then told them my file no and that i had collected it so they could mark it as collected or whatever.

She then demanded ID , i gave it to her but laughed and said if i hadnt come to you then you would never had known that the bag had even been collected.
Just for future reference She did tell me that the normal policy is that the bag stays on the belt for 90 mins and then they come along and move it to be delivered by courier.

I will update the thread on sunday but wanted to thank you ALL for your input it was much appreciated.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA Lost Baggage Question

I have a AA lost baggage question in regards to compensation. Recently a family member's baggage (ski equipment) was delayed for over 48 hours on an international ski trip.

He submitted a complaint to customer relations as follows:

I am writing about baggage delays I have had on multiple AA flights, most recently on a trip to Switzerland. I was traveling on flight 400 from DFW to JFK and flight 64 from JFK to ZRH on Saturday, December 26, 2009. There was a two-hour layover between the flights. One of my bags containing a snowboard and gear was lost in transit, and I did not receive it until more than 48 hours after my arrival at ZRH. This delay ruined a portion of my trip, not to mention the time and expense wasted to make sure that I received the bag at all. This was the second time in one year that I have had trips ruined by delayed baggage on AA flights. I expect to be compensated for this mistake, and I would like someone to contact me directly to discuss it. Thank you.

The response from customer relations:

After reading about your recent experience with us, it's easy to understand your disappointment. We let you down and I'm truly sorry for all that occurred.

We know that it is particularly disappointing to arrive at your destination without your bags. That is why we work very hard at American Airlines to implement procedures to avoid baggage mishandling. While it remains one of our biggest challenges, we constantly monitor our performance and standards in this area in an effort to improve-- and your experience will form part of this record. While I realize it may be of little solace to you, please know that we are doing our very best to prevent such aggravating situations. We'll do our best not to disappoint you again.

As a gesture of goodwill, I've credited 10,000 bonus miles to your AAdvantage® account. I hope you will be encouraged to give us another chance to serve you soon.

He responded that the goodwill as unacceptable and requested that customer relations contact him directly to discuss. They did, but again, the call was unproductive in his mind. There was nothing more that AA customer relations could do, and he could send a letter to the CEO.

Living in DFW, we fly on AA regardless of price. He travels consistently 25,000-50,000 a year, and at this point is unhappy with the resolution and will take his business elsewhere.

The 48 hour delay ruined his trip. Should he expect a different resolution.. e.g. compensation? Or just take his business to another airline?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
wasn't there any gear4 to rent.....i hope that they didn't hang around and not do their thing...how much did they pay for the rental gear?...i would ask for that....good luck
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by n3farious
I have a AA lost baggage question in regards to compensation.

<snip>

IMHO, it is equally unproductive for the family member to "expect to be compensated" without any type of guidance as to what he would have deemed a reasonable solution. That should have accompanied the original email. I'm not an AApologist, but it's not reasonable that every communication to AA should get a personal follow up - especially for issues that are a common occurrence in this industry. It appears that he did receive a follow up call. I give kudos to AA for that.

Unfortunately, delayed baggage happens on all airlines. Some are better than others, clearly, but if he takes his business elsewhere, and continues to fly 25,000-50,000 miles a year - somewhere down the road, it's likely that baggage will be delayed again.

Threatening to take business elsewhere will not go far, I'm afraid.
If it were me, I'd accept the customer service miles and move on.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by n3farious
The 48 hour delay ruined his trip. Should he expect a different resolution.. e.g. compensation? Or just take his business to another airline?

Imo 10K miles was an adequate offer and he should have accepted. I can understand that the bags being delayed was very annoying, but if it ruined his trip, shame on him.

I also think he needs to proceed with caution before jumping ship. If he believes that luggage isn't delayed on other airlines or that he will receive better compensation when it is, then he's setting himself up for more "ruined" trips. With DFW as his home base, switching airlines decreases his non-stop options to many destinations, thereby increasing the chances that his luggage will go AWOL from time to time.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
AA baggage issues - especially MIA?

Up front - I don't and never have flown AA except when left with no other option by by allegiances. I am Plat on CO (long term) and DL (switched last year and a half from US).

However, found myself in the situation of need to go to SKB for meeting. With flight cut-backs, this is not an easy place to get to - even from east coast unless you are way ahead of the booking curve.

With no other saliable options, I decide to drive to BWI and catch a 6am connecting thru MIA to SKB (MIA to SKB - 1 flight per day). Since this is a good time for a vacation for me, decide to extend meetig a few days and take a mini-vaca with wife on sister island Nevis. Since its our only vacation, I decide to pony up and buy F tix/seats - my wife deserves it.

Get to BWI late on our own accord and get fewer than 4 hrs sleep to catch shuttle for 6:10 flight. Flight delayed - mechanical. 1 Hour boarding postpone, 1 Hour on plane while problem fixed (great status up Up front - I don't and never have flown AA except when left with no other option by by allegiances. I am PLat on CO (long term) and DL (switched last year and a half from US).

However, found myself in the situation of need to go to SKB for meeting. With flight cut-backs, this is not an easy place to get to - even from east coast unless you are way ahead of the booking curve.

With no other saliable options, I decide to drive to BWI and catch a 6am connecting thru MIA to SKB (MIA to SKB - 1 flight per day). Since this is a good time for a vacation for me, decide to extend meetig a few days and take a mini-vaca with wife on sister island Nevis. Since its our only vacation, I decide to pony up and buy F tix/seats - my wife deserves it.

Get to BWI late on our own accord and get fewer than 4 hrs sleep to catch shuttle for 6:10 flight. Flight delayed - mechanical. 1 Hour boarding postpone, 1 Hour on plane while problem fixed (great status updates by GA and pilot). Mech issue fixed - go to de-ice an off we go - 2:20 late. Only flight to SKB leaves at 11:05 - finally get to MIA D gate at 10:45. Unlikely to make INTL flight - so I figure we're screwed but am still gonna try - or else our mini vaca is down the tubes. First ones off plane - AA had to know of tight connex issue - NO AGENT, NO CART - despite SKB flight out of (High) E31 gate (tram, etc). Not familiar with MIA, signage sucked bad, ran arse off, get to E31 11:00 am - flight still open. Got on, whew. Figured sole checked bag will not make it. But then, learn they are waiting on others (admirable, wish I would have known before sprinting a marathon to get to gate). Do not push from gate until 11:50 - figure now, no way bag didn't make it with > 1hr.

You guessed it - get to SKB, no bag. Go to ticket desk - no record of bag - period (not even in MIA at all). GA says, "Priority bag, shouldn;t have lost it" - kind of my thoughts, but I now those tags are largley useless and meaningless to ramp. Here's the kicker - one guy in line been waiting for 3 days for bag from MIA and another student in line....9 days..for bag, bike, etc. All MIA. Agent claims MIA has issues to due some volcano ash and related flight issues, but that means zero for baggage in my mind - maybe flights, not baggage alone.

No idea when it will get here or if it will ever be found. Questions-

1) Does MIA have a known baggage issue?
2) what has been AA response to such issues when raised?

I doubt the value of official complaining as I don't fly AA and points would not satisfy my dissapointment - not even just the baggage, but the whole experience - especially leaving us to fend for ourselves b/w tight connex in MIA. If anything my experience has reinforced my allegiance to CO - they wouldn;t have let this happen this way - even for a free ugrade. Not enough IRROP experience with DL to compare.

Comments/thoughts?

Last edited by mdaecher; Jan 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm Reason: <sp>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.